MembersZone Subscriber

Default Selecting Equipment for AFG spending

In our AFG we asked for funding for a K-12 type saw. We have a local Stihl dealer who has assured us that their cut-off saw is equal to a K-12.
    Any suggestions here?
    Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

The AFG won't hold you to a brand name as long as it's equal to or better than what you applied for. K-12 is synonymous with that type of saw. I try to avoid using brands in the narrative all together. When I had to I put next to it this (or equivalent).

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I've used both and can't say I've felt any difference between them, but been a while since I've run the Stihl we have Partner here.

Best way to find out is run them both on a ventilation drill for the troops. They're both rotary saws, but if you can play with them you can make the informed decision.

As Bugle said, you aren't held to brand names just type of equipment.

MembersZone Subscriber

My recommendation would be just to say a ventilation saw or cut off saw. I always stay away from brand names so I can keep all my options open. In my experience, the folks at DHS aren't too tied up in what kind of saw or type of SCBA or Turnout gear as long as the intent does not change. When I received a grant for air packs in 2005, we requested in the grant 30 minute low pressure packs. After trying out the different brands, we decided that we wanted high pressure. My DHS rep told me in an email "an SCBA is an SCBA reagrdless of brand, size, style or pressure and it meets your request." Needless to say we bought Scott 45 minute high pressure bottles.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

To an extent yes. You can always buy better if competitive bid shows that you can. But if you go after 4500s extolling the virtues of lighter weight for the same capacity you can't buy 2216s. If you didn't mention pressure then it doesn't matter, but if you say 45min bottles, no 30s. You app is scored on the details of the request including the items requested and that is what is in your file and what you are held to at audit.

Again, can always upgrade, can't go back. Definitely save any emails that say otherwise, the ones saying you can are not the ones coming to check you out for compliance and those are the folks that have to leave happy or they leave with your stuff.

MembersZone Subscriber

Stating a particular brand can also imply that you will not follow procurement policies and AFgGregs regarding bid procedures as in sole sources. Leave the brand name out of the application.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks for the advice and assistance

Thanks everyone.

Thread Information