MembersZone Subscriber

Default National Seat Belt Pledge

As I am sure many of you know the National Fire Academy is sponsering the National Seat Belt Pledge. They are looking for 100,000 signatures. This has been one of my battles for some time, getting firefighters to wear their seat belts, as is required by SOP's. The department I work for has around 30 employees. So I sent out an e-mail to all and state my case and provided a link to the video from the NFA. I mention that I will make available the pledge for those who wish to sign at both stations. Now I get this from the AC on my shift that I should not have put the pledge out for guys to sign. I should have contacted each person individually and talk to them about it. He feels that having it out in the open would pressure the members to sign such a pledge. He feels it is a good thing and all but thinks I need to present it in another fashion. I am open to any comments either negative or positive from any of you. I am also open to any ideas on how best to present this to individuals so as not to pressure them into this and make up their own mind on whether to sign or not sign. I claim one small victory though, my engine company has been using seat belts for some time now so all is not lost.
    Last edited by LtTim556; 03-26-2007 at 10:13 PM.
    Vintage Firefighter: The older I get, the braver I was.

MembersZone Subscriber

I personally think its a complete waste of time. Seatbelts are LAW! Who's going to enforce a pledge? If you won't do it becuase its the right thing to do and won't becuase its law, then what will it take? Do you all pledge to rat on each other if you see a FFFer not belted up? Maybe this is how it will work? How about some F***ing discipline in our ranks? Wear you're seatbelt or go home, this is not a democracy!!! Somethings you do cause ya gotta!! No questions asked, just do it. Next we must continue to support Mike Wilbur and others work to force the manufacturers to make seatbelt more ergonomic so they can be readily used in full PPE, no fumbling for the reciever thats stuck down under your coat, etc. How about getting a petition from America's firefighters to tell the manufacturers they need to give us room to breath in the cab and make the belts easy to use? That would be signing your name to something useful!

Thanks for the chance to rant! At least you care and are doing something! Too many other stand by and b*tch but have nothing to offer in the way of help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Seat Belt Use

With three deaths this last week in Chicago and North Carolina, while not definative at this time, on the surface it appears none were belted in.

You have to wonder how many more deaths it will take before a light bulb goes off in peoples heads to belt in!

Forum Member

Ok after reading the post 3 times before replying here is my 2 cents worth.

You would not let a fellow FF go into a smoke filled building with there PPE on right, so why would you not see that his seat belt was on.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have the power to get guys to buckle up. If your the officer make it a standing order not to move the rig without being buckled up. If your the driver don't move the rig unless everyone is buckled up.

If your in the back you don't have much control over the driver or officer but vocalize that you are buckled up before going.

You can get in an airpack with your seatbelt on, even with the new NFPA approved SCBA brackets. So do it, practice if you can't.

As for the pledge, it would be nice to have the guys sign it, turn it into a drill on safety, review the deaths, we have to try something to get through to the guys.

Forum Member

I would like to get the link to the video from the NFA if possible.

As far as seat belt use, as I have stated in other threads, I can't believe we are STILL having this discussion. It needs to be MANDITORY everywhere, and the responsibility for enforcement needs to be shared equally between all of us. Perhaps the life insurance companies need to DENY death benefits to knuckleheads who get killed due to not wearing them. Granted, there are rare cases where even the seatbelt won't save you, but they are indeed RARE. Getting launched out of a cab only to get crushed by your fire apparatus or what it ran into is a STUPID way to buy the farm. When will we get it???

MembersZone Subscriber

With the department I volunteer for this is not an issue, since we have stressed the seat belt issue for several years now. I am an officer there and I can order someone who does not have it on. Where I work I am a firefighter. I do not have the authority to order someone to put on the seat belt, only the officer does. The problem is, a few of the officers do not enforce the issue and that goes up into the upper management. That is why I decided to go with the pledge angle to get more support. After talking with the AC I am putting a power point presentation together to pitch the pledge to the others. Even if no one signs, with what I am putting together it should get them to thinking. Thanks for all the comments so far. And yes, I do agree that we should not even be discussing this issue. It should be a no-brainer.
    Vintage Firefighter: The older I get, the braver I was.

MembersZone Subscriber

Content Removed
    Last edited by martz847; 06-07-2010 at 07:20 PM.

Forum Member

Firefighters Injured In Crash

By MATTHEW KAUFFMAN
    The Hartford Courant

May 19 2007, 9:30 PM EDT

WATERBURY -- Eight firefighters were injured -- two critically -- when their fire trucks collided as they rushed to a kitchen fire Saturday morning, officials said.

The two trucks crashed at the intersection of Route 73 and East Aurora Street around 10:30 a.m., Deputy Fire Chief John Mancini said.

Capt. John Keane, 37, and driver Joseph Fischetti, 45, were thrown from their vehicle. Keane was taken by helicopter to Yale-New Haven Hospital, where he was in critical condition with head and internal injuries. Fischetti was in critical condition at Waterbury Hospital, also with head and internal injuries.

Six other firefighters, including one extracted from the wreckage with the Jaws of Life, were treated at area hospitals for non-life-threatening injuries. They are William Roberts, 36, Chris Beatty, 39, Coral Barnes, 59, William Mahoney, 48, Todd Nugai, 34, and William Unwin, 38. All were released from the hospitals by Saturday night, Mancini said.

The high-speed collision occurred as an engine truck was heading west on East Aurora Street and a ladder truck was heading north on Route 73. Broken glass and other debris littered the roads, which were shut down by police during the investigation. Crowds gathered throughout the day and watched as large tow trucks worked to remove the crumpled vehicles.

The kitchen fire -- burnt food on a stove at a home on Eastern Avenue, about two miles from the accident site -- was extinguished by other fire companies, officials said.

Forum Member

Default BUckle Up

As the driver my truck does not move until everyone says they are seatbelted. I have also told them if I catvh them lying to me I will wait and physically walk around to check them like kids. I do have the support of my officers which helps. I agree there needs to be more dicipline and accountability in the fire service. Thanks the effort to make a difference. Keep up the good work. Someday the children will catch on.

Thread Information