Forum Member

Talking New Pumper New Subframes

Our department has put together a truck committee to look into the purchase of a new Custom pumper. We had been exclusive to one manufacturer for years but our aluminum bodied, steel subframe truck has some major issues. The trucks subframe is covered with rust from front to back, and the rear steel subframe is lucky if it makes ten years. We do all our weekly, monthly and yearly preventative maintenance and the truck gets washed down after every call.

We were now starting to look at stainless steel with stainless steel sub frames. We looked at a Vibra Torque system that Crimson fire has, looks great, we have looked at some other brand with springer style systems they looked good also .We heard a large department in Connecticut has a fleet HME trucks that have had a lot of mounting cracks and sub frame failures, does anyone know about that. We were going to look at there products also.

Could someone help lead us in the right direction

Forum Member

First of all I would be looking at the root causes of the rusting. There are two disimilar metals to begin with and are they insulated in any way? Was there sufficient rust protection from the start and was it monitored and maintained? Does the rig actually get a chance to ever get dry? Stainless is strong but brittle and prone to cracking. Just look at the old stainless tanks. Start with the basics before making any rash decision to try something else.

Forum Member

Draftmaster- You say the rig gets washed asfter every run. How many times a month is that? I agree with lvwrench- if the truck never dries out you are helping to cause your own problem.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sven73 View Post
    Draftmaster- You say the rig gets washed asfter every run. How many times a month is that? I agree with lvwrench- if the truck never dries out you are helping to cause your own problem.

The truck goes on two to three runs per day, we have a extensive maintanence program, with being involved with many parades and being very competative, under carriage gets painted quite often, with the salt of New England not cleaning under carriage after rain or snow would be worse.just poor steel prep, will not buy another.Then we hear of trucks in lower Connecticut that are brand new, their body mounts are just letting go, on more than one truck.We are really looking around.And want to know whats a solid frame and body.

Forum Member

Content deleted by author.
    Last edited by Firefighter807; 07-08-2009 at 08:26 PM.

Forum Member

Default Hidden agenda?

Firefighter807 I might have agreed with you and thought the same thing when I read his 4 posts on this subject and in which HME was mentioned in a bad light but after contacting Draftmaster I think he is just doing his job looking for info. I sell HME in northern New England and have replied to his posts and given him info on the truck, not trucks, in question and hopefully he is going to contacct the dealer in CT to get the whole story on that one truck.

I am not going to get sucked into a stone throwing contest on any post but I will defend my company if someone is throwing bricks. If anyone reading these threads wants more info on the TRUCK in southern CT you can contact me here, by email - tomwnh@yahoo.com or call the HME dealer in CT. Twin Lights - 203-878-8534, ask for Joe. We have nothing to hide about a problem we had with ONE truck, not trucks.

Any and all manufacturers have problems from time to time and things break, malfunction and get put together wrong. The bigger issue is what do they do when that happens. It has been said before on many threads and I firmly believe having a strong dealer is one of the most important things to consider when making a purchase, not the badge on the front or hats and jackets you get when delivered. To close, the truck in question was picked up by the dealer, brought to the service center and the repairs are in process under warranty.
    Last edited by tomwnh; 04-01-2007 at 11:30 AM.

Forum Member

Exclamation Sales Rep

No I am not a sales rep, matter of fact we are inviting and speaking with numerous manufacturers when we have decided what we really need, using the Spartan Crimson suspension system is because their sales rep keeps doing his job, and so does tom at HME. Firestone had tire problems, must be the Good Year rep telling us all that.Everyone is looking for a agenda?
    Whats wrong with asking a question of concern? It takes us 12-15 years to save for a piece of apparatus we buy with donations from our community, not Town given money through taxes, I have the right to ask, Tom and the Spartan Crimson reps we applaud you for doing your jobs ,Good work.

Forum Member

Default Back at you

And you should be applaud you too draftmaster for doing the research, asking questions and having an open mind. To many people out there are cool aid drinkers as I have heard so many times on here and don't look, learn and open their minds to new things and new compaines. In todays world it's to hard for a fire truck manufacturer to produce junk over and over.

Thread Information