Forum Member

Cool Sub Frames And Bodies Custom Pumper

Our department has put together a truck committee to look into the purchase of a new Custom pumper. We had been exclusive to one manufacturer for years but our aluminum bodied, steel subframe truck has some major issues. The trucks subframe is covered with rust from front to back, and the rear steel subframe is lucky if it makes ten years. We do all our weekly, monthly and yearly preventative maintenance and the truck gets washed down after every call.

We were now starting to look at stainless steel with stainless steel sub frames. We looked at a Vibra Torque system that Crimson fire has, looks great, we have looked at some other brand with springer style systems they looked good also .We heard a large department in Connecticut has a fleet HME trucks that have had a lot of mounting cracks and sub frame failures, does anyone know about that. We were going to look at there products also.

Could someone help lead us in the right direction

Forum Member

Contact firetruck101@earthlink.net. He is sales manager for a builder that does both stainless and aluminum. His company has a subframe and mounting system that may address your concerns. I'm sure others do, too.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home.

MembersZone Subscriber

More than one builder is building their subframes out of steel, and then having the assembly hot dip galvanized to provide corrosion protection, including the folks I sell for. Others also do this, so it isn't me pushing one of the ways we do things.

I'm not sure of others, but if you do it with us we (Central States) will lifetime warranty the subframe.

The General Safety side builds the subframe out of aluminum I-beams, rather beefy, but I won't make this an advertisement for either brand, just letting you know what's out there. There's more than one General customer on the forums here, so they can talk about their opinions of that subframe if they so choose.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Thumbs up Uni-Body ?

On the Smeal Fire Apparatus web site go to the information center , then click on the " Uni-Body construction " pumpers !...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DRAFTMASTER30 View Post
    We heard a large department in Connecticut has a fleet HME trucks that have had a lot of mounting cracks and sub frame failures, does anyone know about that. We were going to look at there products also.

Could someone help lead us in the right direction
    I believe you are refering to Stanford or Stamford. I would think that if they had such a bad time of it they would have stopped ordering more trucks. You can see on the HME/AF website. We just got a new SilverFox and like it so far.

I saw a truck on the HME line for the department you are mention so they have another one, new within the last month or so.

I would question your source. If you have questions call the Dealer in CT or the department. Don't go by hear say get the scoop from the horses mouth, and if it is a sales person running down the other guy's truck.... walk away. They probably won't treat you right after the sale...

Forum Member

http://www.nefirenews.com/ct/ctps.html

Scroll down until you see Stamford, you can see they have a number of HME/Silverfox, including a new 2007 model.

Forum Member

What part of the country do you live?

There are some really good regional builders out there. 4Guys and Toyne to name a couple.

Forum Member

Default Get the facts

DRAFTMASTER30, as mentioned above, don't listen to a lot of comments made by people that are getting bits and pieces of a story or might have an aganda when they making statements about any issues any manufacture has with a peice of apparatus. I know the Ahrens Fox dealer in CT well and if you gave him a call he would tell you just what is what with the trucks you are questioning in CT. Get all the facts before you make broad statements. And to keep things open and above board yes, I sell for HME Ahrens Fox. In my 30years in the apparatus business I have sold for a few manufacturers and can tell you they all have probems from time to time and all have delt with problems that are reported as defects witht their product but when everything washes out it is not as first reported. Get facts, not opinions. With the advent of the internet we see all kinds of things posted where someone is just waiting to run someone or some company down but rarely do we hear when the facts prove those statements wrong.

If you are located in the northen areas of the country corrosion is and has always been a big issue with apparatus. And it is getting worse due to the new products they are using for snow and ice control on the roads. This has become such an issue, with apparatus and every part of the trucking industry, I now carry 4 or 5 articles with me on the subject for when I run into departments that are having problems. It is an issue with bodies, frames, brakes and electrical systems. Some of the bigger fleets that run in the north have changed their specs for trucks and trailers due to these issues.

What you want to look at after you see how a manufacture builds the product so it will fit your needs and adapt to your region is how is their service if you ever have a problem. Do they stand behind the product? Is there a local dealer that has service to respond to any issues you might have. I tell people all the time, I can find 10 departments that hate manufacture XYZ and 10 that love them.

And as ChiefDog said, if there is a salesman giving you all this info about the other guys truck don't walk run. Not only is it biased but very unprofessional.

And if you want any info on any HME Ahrens Fox product in New England or how to contact a dealer to get facts email me at tomwnh@yahoo.com.

Forum Member

Cool Hme Question Only

We heard a large department in Connecticut has a fleet HME trucks that have had a lot of mounting cracks and sub frame failures, does anyone know about that?

WE WERE ASKING A QUESTION, HME WAS A MANUFACTURER THAT SOMEONE MENTIONED MAY HAVE HAD PROBLEMS, WE ARE PROBABLY GOING TO ASK THE DEALER TO MAKE A PRESENTATION, HE HAS GREAT SERVICE CENTER, AND AS ALWAYS WHEN YOU ASK OR MAKE CONTACT WITH A REFERENCE WE WILL ASK IF THEY HAVE ANY PROBLEMS.LIKE YOU SAID A DEALER WHO BAD MOUTHS SOMONES PRODUCT IS NOT WORTH DEALING WITH, WE WENT ON THE FORUM TO HEAR ALSO WITH CUSTOMERS WHO USE THE EQUIPMENT EVERY DAY, THATS FAIR.

Forum Member

Default HME Questions

There is nothing wrong with asking questions and getting all the facts. Any smart buyer should do as much research as possable. Thats why many departments ask for referance lists as part of the spec and bid process. There are however some less than honest people in the apparatus business that come on forums such as these and start or add to threads to try and knock the other guy. As far as the question on the large department in CT you are talking about it's Stamford. They have 10 or 11 HME Ahrens Fox pumpers at this time and are getting ready to order more. The dealer in CT is Medford Twin Lights, phone # 203-878-8534. Ask for Joe, the owner. He will be more than willing to tell you anything you might want to know about the Stamford trucks and any problems they might or might not be having. To my knowledge they run the hell out of the trucks and have had great luck with them.

Good luck on spec'ing a new truck and keep digging for the truth.

PS - I have a form that I give to many fire departments to assist in specing out trucks. It's in a word format and I would be more than happy to email it to you for your use. Send me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Reach me at tomwnh@yahoo.com or tom@lakesfire.com

Thread Information