Forum Member

Default How do you become a firefighter

Here is my story. I just graduated college with a 2 yr associate degree in criminal justice. I am going to go back to school for fire science, I figure that is a big step in becoming a firefighter. What else should I do to help me along the way? (ie. becoming a volunteer fighter...but how and where?)

MembersZone Subscriber

If you live in an area that has or uses volunteer FF's go to the station and see about getting an application. Talk with some members of the department in the community about it and make sure it is some thing you want to do. I spent 24 years in Law enforcement and was a V.F.F. where ever I worked. I found out it was easier to work L.E. and be a V.F.F. then the other way around. With your education in Criminal Justice and Fire Science you will have a great start in a great carrear. By the way if you are not in GOOD phyisical shape start working on it. You might want to look at taking EMT classes. The majority of fire departments require this. So start working on that resume. Good luck.

T.J.

Forum Member

well first do what I did. I went down to my local Fire Dept. talked to the cheif and filled out an Application. I showed up at the next Meeting and I was accepted and the next thing I knew I was off to School. it was that easy. what area are you in??? and what town?

Forum Member

Thumbs up Poop-'The scoop'...

Quote Originally Posted by heypoopy View Post
    Here is my story. I just graduated college with a 2 yr associate degree in criminal justice. I am going to go back to school for fire science, I figure that is a big step in becoming a firefighter. What else should I do to help me along the way? (ie. becoming a volunteer fighter...but how and where?)
    After you complete your fire science, find meaningful work in the building trades industry as an apprentice (not for Donald Trump). Volunteer if its geographically feasible, and hold out for a boss that will cut you loose when duty calls. Glad you "copped out" bro. good luck!

Forum Member

Hey im going through the same thing, i will be finished with my police science degree this fall. So i am registered to take Fire science classes in the fall to get the program started. I have been working on trying to get onto a local volunteer dept, i have taken some agility tests and. So i would say get in shape that is a key thing, I am in good shape but it is still tough no doubt about it. I have passed several agility tests, however im not FF1 or EMT certified so that is where i didnt get jobs. Just get certified and start working out. It is a long process but it will be worth it.

Forum Member

I have worked out on and off in the past, but now I am back in it. I have a workout buddy so it is a lot easier to stick with the regime. I live in St. Francis which is a little city in Milwaukee. I want to go back to WCTC for school but they said I have to be with a dept. already because I would need to use their gear. doesnt make sense to me. I might go to MATC but WCTC is a lot nicer. Anyways, if any of you know where a near volunteer dept is around here, let me know. Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Member

Well i know the South Milwaukee is close there, i believe that they are a POC department. Also i know the WCTC is alot nicer, but i believe that MATC you can rent gear from them while you are going through the FF1 classes. What i have been doing is going to some career departments, as well as Vol dept and asking if they can sponsor me while i go through the classes. just go around to departments and ask whats the worse they can say NO. also i have just been googling and searching for Wisconsin Fire Departments and you can get a whole list of every fire deparment in the state. Or there is another one localfirehouse.com which you can look up any and every state.

MembersZone Subscriber

You won't have much luck joining a volunteer dept. There really aren't many around the Milwaukee area. St. Francis does have POC though, so I'd talk to them.

South Milwaukee isn't hiring right now. They do have POC like Medrow said, but it's not many guys. It is a full time department with a full staff. They just have 10 POC guys on the roster as well because of the type of city it is. They get plenty of calls and have a a lot of people in the city so they need a full time staff. However, they only have one station since the city limits are small. So they keep all of the extra apparatus in there and have a little bit bigger of a staff per shift, as well as POC guys for when they get busier. South Milwaukee should be hiring within the next year for full time, but you will need your certifications. They just hired the four POC guys they wanted.(I was one of them) However, POC also required AT LEAST Firefighter 1 and 3 of the 4 are in EMT-B classes now.

Also, Kenosha is taking applications April 1. Their requirements are that you are 18 and have a high school diploma.

Overall, I recommend getting your Firefighter 1 and EMT-B certs. You will need those at most departments as a very minimum requirements. Exceptions would be places with Academies. The bigger cities like Milwaukee, Madison, Kenosha, Racine(I think). They thing with those departments is that the hiring process is a lot tougher. More applicants and more steps.

Hope this helped. I'm in this process right now as well. I'm FF1 certified and in EMT-B classes. I'm going to MATC(which is a lot nicer than you think. The Oak Creek campus has plenty of fire supplies, an engine, training grounds, burn building, ladder tower, trailers, cars, etc.) Then I also just recently started at South Milwaukee Fire Department.

Good Luck!

Forum Member

what exactly is POC?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by heypoopy View Post
    what exactly is POC?
    paid on call

You are like a volunteer FF, but you get paid for the calls you go on and how long you are on that call.

Forum Member

Doesn't Cudahy or St Francis Have a Vol. Fire Dept? or do they use Milwaukee Fire.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Runn11 View Post
    Doesn't Cudahy or St Francis Have a Vol. Fire Dept? or do they use Milwaukee Fire.
    They are Full-Time. They are busier cities, but small in square mileage. That is why St Francis has POC come in when they are busy. They only need one station to cover the area, but its a bigger station with extra apparatus for the POC guys when they are needed. I don't think Cudahy uses POC. I think they just depend on St Francis, South Milwaukee(also has POC when busy, but not hiring since they just hired four new guys), and Oak Creek(strictly full-time and they have three stations).

Forum Member

Smile

I created a website www.thefirefighterexam.com devoted to "How to Become a Firefighter". The site includes free practice exams, job listings, interview tips and more. Check it out and good luck.

Jon
    www.thefirefighterexam.com

Thread Information