MembersZone Subscriber

Default Need some infomation

My friend is looking to transfer to the Providance or Newport RI Looking for information how are the schools and overall public safety of the area ? thank you

Forum Member

i'm not sure if i quite understand what your asking, but i'll try to help ya out. i dont know of any fire departments in rhode island that accept transfers you just have to apply and take the test/agility/etc..providence just had a test about a year ago and is running an academy right now typically it's been about 5years or so between tests so dont expect them anytime soon, on newport i dont know when the next time they'll be running a test but im almost 100% sure as far as transfering it's not really a posibility

providence is the largest department in the state being almost 500 strong when at full staffing, they run 14engines, 8 ladders, 1 special hazards(heavy rescue), 6 ALS rescues(ambulances) and their academy is 6 months long, if you want fires they're one of the few communities in rhode island that get them on a regular basis
    Last edited by Steeda83; 03-28-2007 at 07:51 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is just about the area. I got a navy buddy who is thinking of getting orders up that way and wanted to know about the area . He is a non-firefighter .He asked if I could get information like the how safe is the area and what the schools were like. For his family. I am helping him out cause I know this a good place to network. He is tired of looking on line for information. I going to the Sub base in Groton . Been there before so I am already set. Email me if you want .
    Last edited by ekloosterm; 03-28-2007 at 09:31 PM.

Forum Member

If you're looking for a good school system, I think you can safely skip both Providence AND Newport. Least that's what I hear.

Thread Information