1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    77

    Default Couple questions for firefighters

    1. Whenever I straighten and bend my legs my knees crack. Would this make me fail the medical? I don't know why they do that.

    2. Does a volunteer ff start ff1 right when they join? Does it cost anything?

    3. How does a probie address an experienced ff that is not a Lieutenant or a Captain? Just by name? This might be a stupid question but I know that the fire organization is built like the military and so I just want to know the proper protocol.

    4. I read that it was good to have some trade knowledge when applying. Is it better to know a little bit about various trades or to be an expert on one?

    5. Is it possible to get hired with no ff experience? I don't have the money for an academy right now and besides, I thought they were for those already hired. I thought it's best to get hired and learn everything from them than to get in thinking you know something already.

    Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    almsfan21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    KCMO
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Number 2: It depends upon the dept. Some train you to be FF1, and I think it is usually free. Some, just train you without state certifications.

    Number 5: Once again, depends on the dept. If you want to get hired on a large dept., then you can get hired without experience. They will then send you to their academy and train you. If, instead, you want to work for a smaller dept, then you may have to have FF1, FF2, and or EMTB/P...it all depends. IMO, I would try and save money for a local community college academy, and get some experience there. The experience gained there will also help with CPAT type tests, and you can speak from experience in interviews.
    Just my .02
    Good luck

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber
    WaterbryVTfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdaddy View Post
    1. Whenever I straighten and bend my legs my knees crack. Would this make me fail the medical? I don't know why they do that.

    2. Does a volunteer ff start ff1 right when they join? Does it cost anything?

    3. How does a probie address an experienced ff that is not a Lieutenant or a Captain? Just by name? This might be a stupid question but I know that the fire organization is built like the military and so I just want to know the proper protocol.

    4. I read that it was good to have some trade knowledge when applying. Is it better to know a little bit about various trades or to be an expert on one?

    5. Is it possible to get hired with no ff experience? I don't have the money for an academy right now and besides, I thought they were for those already hired. I thought it's best to get hired and learn everything from them than to get in thinking you know something already.

    Thanks for your help.
    Answers:

    1) No...thats pretty normal. Unless it causes weakness or pain or prevents you from walking there should be no problem.

    2) All depends on your dept. Some don't require FF1. Also depends on when the course starts. Depending on your dept., they may pay for it. Cost would vary from place to anther.

    3) First name should be fine. Ask, they'll tell you. Some officers may say you can call them by the first name. I call mine by their rank around the station, and by name when not on duty.

    4) If you are new, you are new. Don't go in trying to pretend you know what firefighting is all about. BUT, you should go in with knowledge of what the dept., does (EMS/Extrication/HazMat, etc..) And maybe a little history too..

    5) Vollie depts., won't care if you have training or not. They'll get it for you. Fulltime, sort of the same they'll send you to their training academy. Some full time depts., do require a college education of some kind. If you do have paramedic or EMT training prior, that is also a big advantage.

    Hoep this helps!
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
    ********

    IACOJ

    ********

    "Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

  4. #4
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Thanks for answering my questions you guys. Very helpful.

    Waterbury, sorry. For number 4, I was getting at trades like plumbing, electrical, etc. But you still provided some wisdom on that question, so thank you.

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Mistake On The Lake
    Posts
    470

    Default

    It depends what you want to do for number four. It's good to have a working knowledge of various trades, but if you want to do something like rescue, it will really help you to be an expert in one particular field, like mechanic work, or something like that.

  6. #6
    Forum Member
    johnny46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    2,094

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdaddy View Post
    1. Whenever I straighten and bend my legs my knees crack. Would this make me fail the medical? I don't know why they do that.
    This is knee cavitation and it is caused by the impurities in your water. Drink only purified water straight from electrically discharged bottles and the cracking should disappear within two weeks.

  7. #7
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    This is knee cavitation and it is caused by the impurities in your water. Drink only purified water straight from electrically discharged bottles and the cracking should disappear within two weeks.
    Man...that's what the doctor said too.

  8. #8
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jerry4184 View Post
    It depends what you want to do for number four. It's good to have a working knowledge of various trades, but if you want to do something like rescue, it will really help you to be an expert in one particular field, like mechanic work, or something like that.
    Ok thank you.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Situational Questions
    By RESERVEFORNOW in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-10-2007, 01:21 AM
  2. Situational Questions
    By RESERVEFORNOW in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-09-2007, 09:04 AM
  3. Psychological test questions
    By dmfireschool in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-15-2003, 05:53 PM
  4. Stupied Questions
    By Airborne in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-12-2003, 09:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register