Thread: Tennessee

Forum Member

Default Tennessee

Hey guys i am looking at moving from Il. to TN. I am a 8 yr. medic and am looking at Memphis. I do how ever really like the Paris and Clarksville areas and wondered if anybody knows of a county service that is hiring. I really don't want to do transfers, i asked the same thing in the EMS forum and got slammed, fire based is the way i want to go but i raising my family in a rural area is very important too. Any help you could offer would be great, thanks guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey efd are you apposed to comeing to chattanooga we are doing some heavy hireing right now and with you being a medic you stand a really good chance of getting on. We only have a handful of paramedics.

Forum Member

How hard is it to get on? I am working my *** off to get into shape, I am 30 by no means over weight, 6'2" 180 but i am trying to quit smoking and get into shape, i am doing cardio and running but still need to work at it. I am not opposed to going anywhere, my family and i just want to get south and live in a nice area and have things to do with my kids.
    Last edited by efd824; 03-30-2007 at 10:37 AM.

Forum Member

Default Hey

hey efd, it took me 6 yrs to get hired on, but I wasnt a medic, like mike said you will be looked at more closely because of you being a medic already. Chattanooga FD currently has a EMT-IV class they certify the recruits class in, but right now they only run as a First Responder level in the field. But that will be changing for sure in the next few months and they will be able to perform at the EMT-IV level. Chattanooga is a great city, a lot of rural area around the city. Good size dept as well. About 22 companies. As a part time job if ya need it, well, there are plenty of private ambulance companies in the city and also the county ems. go to: www.chattanooga.gov and lok for the fire dept. They just started a academy and talk is of one at the end of the year.

Forum Member

Hello:

From what I've heard about the Memphis FD, It is supposed to be set-up to where MEdics will work on the ambulance one shift, then the engine on the next, etc. I have heard from someone who left Memphisand they say that that they do not always rotate. And if you're a medic, you'll most definitely not be rotated off the ambulance.

That said, the Nashville suburbs are not that bad of a place to work. If you're in downtown Nashville, you can be in a rural area in less than 20 minutes.

Wilson County Lebanon, Mt Juliet), Which is the county East of Nashville, operates the ambulances. The Medics are crosstrained as county firefighters. DOn't know if they do Convo transfers (by that I mean Nursing home to Dr. Office or Hospital back to Nursing Home).

Williamson county (Brentwood, Franklin), south of Nashville, is hospital based and operates for the majority of the county. They do not do convo transers. Spring Hill, Which is Southern Williamson County has their EMS set up kind of different. Let's see if I can word this right. Tri-star Contracted EMS service through Rural Metro. And they will for the next 3 years, I believe. I believe Spring HIll Fire Dept. is actually "in charge" of them. It is possible that Spring Hill may form their own ambulance service in the future.

Montgomery County - Northwest of Nashville(Clarksville). County Run service. I believe they do Convo.

Robertson COunty - Springfield. County Run Service. Don't know about convo.

Sumner COunty (Gallatin). County Run. I believe they do Convo.

Dickson County -West of Nashville.(Dickson) County Run. Dont know about convo

Rutherford County - South East of Nashville (Murfreesboro) County Run. Don't know about convo. Don't think they do, though.

Nashville/Davidson County - Never hurts to put in an App for the EMS division. Never know when they are going to hire. (FYI:Not the same as applying for Suppression - Apps for Suppression is now open, I believe).

Let me know if you need any more info. Or Send me your email if you'd like and I can give you some more info, if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by efd824 View Post
    Hey guys i am looking at moving from Il. to TN. I am a 8 yr. medic and am looking at Memphis. I do how ever really like the Paris and Clarksville areas and wondered if anybody knows of a county service that is hiring. I really don't want to do transfers, i asked the same thing in the EMS forum and got slammed, fire based is the way i want to go but i raising my family in a rural area is very important too. Any help you could offer would be great, thanks guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=tenn24th;792529]

Robertson COunty - Springfield. County Run Service. Don't know about convo.

QUOTE]

Robertson county would not be hard at all to get in on. They do run convo but they have separate trucks for that they operate out of 5 stations currently with one being a power truck. They operate 5 ALS 24 7 and a 6th that is a 14 hour powertruck and they have a convo unit 5 days a week.
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Stewart Co. is hiring medics I believe. Located right between Clarksville and Paris. Very little convo.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nashville Fire is taking applications (online only) until 4-13-07 for Fire Recruit. The EMS Division applications are open continuously. FF-Paramedics do not ride the ambulances. The EMS Division is an emergency service only and the only transfers they perform are critical transfers from one ED to another facility. Their pay scales and benifits are great. Go to www.nashfire.org to apply.

Thread Information