Forum Member

Default How did you get your job?

I was just curious to see how people found out about their current job? Also what schooling or training did you do to prepare so that you were ready to pass the test. I have been testing and training, I feel like I am getting closer to landing a full time position just has not happened yet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brack22 View Post
    I was just curious to see how people found out about their current job? Also what schooling or training did you do to prepare so that you were ready to pass the test. I have been testing and training, I feel like I am getting closer to landing a full time position just has not happened yet.

I took the civil service firefighters entrance exam... passed.

I took the strength test ( what is now called CPAT)..passed.
    I took the civil service physical.. passed.
    I took the City's Physical... passed.

I got hired!
    I went to the Massachusetts Fire Academy..passed.

After 7 years, took the LT's exam and passed.
    12 years later, took the Captain's exam.. passed.
    6 years later.. took the Deputy's exam.. passed.

...and that is how I got to where I am today.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

I found out about my department's testing through some buddies I had working there. I had them keeping their ears open for me, tested, and got hired. It consisted of a written test, physical agility test, and an interview. I ended up 5th on the list, if I remember right, and it took almost a year before I got my spot.

When I got hired, I had already gotten my paramedic license and 3 years experience in the field. I also had about 8 years vollie experience and was (still am) the chief of that department. I had FF I&II, Instructor I, and various rescue classes.

Since, I've been promoted to driver/engineer. Next is testing for Captain (May). I've added a number of certifications since getting hired (Driver/Operator, Instructor II, Officer I & II, Investigator, and I'm enrolled in Inspector). I'm also getting off my duff to finish out my degree. Starting with finishing the Associates, then going to work on the Bachelors so I can keep moving up the ladder.

MembersZone Subscriber

I started out as a volunteer with Emergency Services when I was 17. We did ride alongs with the FD and a lot of training was "on the job". Got my EMT-A, became an EMT-P started working part time at a FD on the box, went to the fire academy in Oak Lawn, and started to work as a contract FF/PM. Joined the local FD as a POC. Transfered contracts back to where I started. Took the next test got hired.
    Got promoted on the second try.
    By me it is easy, the community college runs the tests for most of the area FDs so it is simple to find out who is testing.

I'm guessing you want to get on. Just start testing, take every test you can and keep testing.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would first start by figuring out what department you want to work for. I don't mean the ones that are hiring, I mean the one that would be your ideal or "Dream Department". Contact that department or do a internet search and find out this basic information.....

Step 1. What are their requirments? Do you meet those requirments? What do you need to do to meet those requirments? Are you prepared for the requirments?

Step 2. How does the testing process take place? Are you familiar with the steps in the process? How can you prepare for the testing?

Step 3. When are they testing?

I could go on and on but these are some basic steps that can get you started. You can do a thread search on any part of the testing process and pick up valuable and (some intresting..... scarcasim) information.

You cannot practice dedication or determination!

Good Luck!

Forum Member

Texas fire school and Paramedic. Paramedic is the key. It is gold in some parts of the state. Most Depts. give prefferance to Paramedics. CHris

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by brack22 View Post
    Definately, everyone is different.
    I found out about my job, and several others, through firerecruit.com

For me:
    Started as an Explorer for my dept at 15
    US Navy for 5 years as a Damage Controlman (FF)
    2 year Fire Science A.S. Degree
    FF1, FF2, Driver/Operator-Pumper, Fire Officer 1, EMT-B, and Paramedic Certifications
    3 years as FF/EMT Intern (volunteer) while going to school.
    Attended National Fire Academy twice.

Thing is, sometimes it doesn't matter what type of certifications you have, but how you interview. Learn how to speak in front of others, have others ask you fire service questions. Practice so there are no ahhs and umms. There are programs out there to help you improve FF tests and interviews that have helped others. I believe BC LePore and Capt Bob are two regular posters that have such a program...look into those.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

Well for me it went like this.

I graduated high school and had a buddy of mine try and talk me out of the Marines. Told me to come my the fire house that he was an explorer at. Well it was love at first sight. I right then decided that, that is what I wanted to do for the rest of my life and spent 6 years doing so on my volunteer fire dept. I tested for chattanooga for approx 2 and a half years before i got hired but I did in March of 2002.

Just had my 5 year aniversary last friday. And I must say i love it i'm now a Senior firefighter and enjoy every day more. When it comes time to retire I will be sad but I will probably go back to my volunteer dept If i don't do so sooner.

Just remmember don't give up bust your but till you get what you want and make sure that it is what you want. Do the research like others have posted and don't get discouraged.

good luck and give it your all you'll get there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TC33FF View Post
    Texas fire school and Paramedic. Paramedic is the key. It is gold in some parts of the state. Most Depts. give prefferance to Paramedics. CHris
    Agreed...get your medic and you will have no problem getting a job...I just finished medic school in Dec. and already got hired on...most people in the class of 30 have as well. Good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Was stationed in St. marys Co. Md. (Navy Rescue Swimmer) Joined a vol. dept, Got my EMT (national) FFI/FFII Hazmat tech (national) and any other classes I could get. Called the human resources depts. of citys in minnesota that had career depts. Got testing dates and took the tests. Studied hard, Took any test I could to get back to in the mid west. Got hired in St. Cloud Mn. Then got engaged so I tested again to move for her, Got hired first time close to her and her work. Test, Test, Test you can't get hired if you don't test. Take a job, any job anywhere, it is easier when your foot is in the door. Then move to your final resting place. FFI/FFII, EMT, hazmat tech, anything else is iceing. If you test enough you will come accross the same tests in different citys. When you get done with a test Data Dump. any question you can remember write down soon you will have a nice data bank to study from. Tests don't change much from test to test. look up the correct answers so you got them. then study get study guide books (amazon boks) pratice interviewing, make up a good resume, but put in your time.. Good Luck
    Remember make yourself better then the rest. When you get hired remember your a team.

Forum Member

Graduated high school. Graduated with honors from college with an Associates of Science Degree in Fire Service Technology. Reserve Firefighter for three years for mid-sized department and worked for three years as an EMT on an ALS 911 ambulance.

I used www.Firecareers.com so I didn't miss any tests.

Good luck and don't give up. I reached my goal by getting hired at age 21.

Now that I am hired I will be going back to school online for a BA in Pub. Admin.

Thread Information