Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber WaterbryVTfire's Avatar

Default Fulltime with out union affiliation..

I have a question (hopefully it doesn't sound to ignorant.) A local dept., has a small number (less than 5) of fulltimers (which I hope to become one.) But, they don't have a Union (or able to support). Can we/I join another local ff union?
    I can't seem to find any info regarding....
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Quote Originally Posted by WaterbryVTfire View Post
    I have a question (hopefully it doesn't sound to ignorant.) A local dept., has a small number (less than 5) of fulltimers (which I hope to become one.) But, they don't have a Union (or able to support). Can we/I join another local ff union?
    One of my union guys told the same thing is happening here in OC. Check the By-Laws of the group of the other local.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber F52Westside's Avatar

I believe it would have to be a group effort to be worth it. There might be other unions in your area that will represent firefighters. Here in MI there is M.A.F.F. that represents some of the paid on call depts. and I think some career depts. as well as the Teamsters that will represent fire fighters.
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Can we/I join another local ff union?

The short answer is yes, you can. The local my brother works for allows/includes the professional members of a smaller department into their bargaining unit.
    I don't know the specefics, or wording used for negotiations, but they are included.
    Indianapolis also has one association for most of metro-Indy. Someone from around there could provide more information.
    Both of these locals I metioned are IAFF. (L-416, L-407)
    Last edited by jasper45; 03-29-2007 at 09:23 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WaterbryVTfire View Post
    Two issues:

1.) Will a union take you in? This has been answered by other posters.

2.) Do you have the legal authority to unionize, or will the municipality simply state, "oh, so you boys joined a union? That's great. But we don't collectively bargain."

I don't know what Vermont's law is, but in New Hampshire you need 10 employees in order for collective bargaining to kick in.

Forum Member

As mentioned before, check your state law on the rules. Many states, as evidenced by IAFF mailings, are very small. Their are locals established with three or four members. Go to the IAFF web-site, and check it out. If you join the IAFF be ready to do the work or pay someone to do it. In general, IAFF dues are lower than other unions. However, the IAFF does not send out a "business agent" or negotiator to work on your contract. They offer some excellent technical assistance, but writing and negotiating your contract is your responsibility. Other Unions that represent Firefighters often have higher dues, but usually provide more help with negotiations, grievances, and day-to-day operations.

Thread Information