1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    So Berwick, Me
    Posts
    111

    Default Town Wide Interoperability

    Hello, We're a town of 7500 residents looking to do a complete P25 upgrade including repeaters, portables and Mobiles. We currently use simplex operation. This would improve interoperability as we are a border town to New Hampshire who has recently completed a statewide P25 upgrade. My question is, Would it blow the cost/benefit out of the water to include PD and EMS in the application? I know this doesn't fall under a regional app, do you think it's too much for ops & safety? total price tag would be $230,000 or so. To go it alone and do FD only would cost $175,000 or so, though in don't believe the benefit to the town would be so great since we all work together ALOT.

    Thanks in advance,

    -Nick

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber
    ktb9780's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Auburndale, FL
    Posts
    6,144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NickSBFD6 View Post
    Hello, We're a town of 7500 residents looking to do a complete P25 upgrade including repeaters, portables and Mobiles. We currently use simplex operation. This would improve interoperability as we are a border town to New Hampshire who has recently completed a statewide P25 upgrade. My question is, Would it blow the cost/benefit out of the water to include PD and EMS in the application? I know this doesn't fall under a regional app, do you think it's too much for ops & safety? total price tag would be $230,000 or so. To go it alone and do FD only would cost $175,000 or so, though in don't believe the benefit to the town would be so great since we all work together ALOT.

    Thanks in advance,

    -Nick
    You could do EMS but not Law Enforcement. Just be sure your are casting a big enough net to make sure nobody in frie or EMS inthe region is left out.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    So Berwick, Me
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    You could do EMS but not Law Enforcement. Just be sure your are casting a big enough net to make sure nobody in frie or EMS inthe region is left out.
    Unfortunatly, up here in New England there is no such thing as regionalization. It's every town for themselves. Basically, all the FD's on one side of us are on UHF, and the other side is all in New Hampshire , and they're ASTRO P25. So, us and a few others are left out.

    -Nick

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    islandfire03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,662

    Thumbs up

    Nick : We are in a similar situation as you. A couple hours noreast from you. We are working on a regional comm. app. and are including the three depts. here in town and the town EMA plus tied into the county & state interoperability conops plan , & our dispatch center which is county based. send me a PM with your e-mail and i will forward some info & contacts that I have developed while researching our grant.

  5. #5
    Forum Member
    nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    The first thing you need to do is ditch any thoughts of a digital infrastructure for your town. If you want to get portables and mobiles capable of digital for when you go mutual aid to a town using it, fine. But there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to make your own infrastructure and operations digital conventional. Analog conventional is already interoperable out of the box and requires nothing new and improved. Anyone can use it. Making a typical analog conventional repeater into digital conventional is totally useless and inhibits interoperability.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    So Berwick, Me
    Posts
    111

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    The first thing you need to do is ditch any thoughts of a digital infrastructure for your town. If you want to get portables and mobiles capable of digital for when you go mutual aid to a town using it, fine. But there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to make your own infrastructure and operations digital conventional. Analog conventional is already interoperable out of the box and requires nothing new and improved. Anyone can use it. Making a typical analog conventional repeater into digital conventional is totally useless and inhibits interoperability.

    Yes, but in order to get Uncle Sam's $$$, you need to play by his rules... P25.
    I have no desire to go digital, but I don't think a non-compliant system will fly. I work in the 2-way industry, I know what your saying about interoperability.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    You'd be surprised. We have received grant money from state and federal for our upgrades. None of our components are digital. Portables and mobiles are all 90 series Kenwoods. The repeaters and receivers will be M/A Comms and the voters will be all JPS SNV12's. Nothing in there is digital.

    I admit I am no expert on grant funding but we did it.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    islandfire03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,662

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NickSBFD6 View Post
    Yes, but in order to get Uncle Sam's $$$, you need to play by his rules... P25.
    I have no desire to go digital, but I don't think a non-compliant system will fly. I work in the 2-way industry, I know what your saying about interoperability.
    Nick : the approval of analog systems will fly if it will meets the state EMA offices recommended standards. I have spoken to them in depth on this matter , and they will not force us to go digital P-25 only to have narrow band capable radios. The cost to make a digital system operate properly over the entire state would be greater than the states budget. We can't get Baldacci to fix the roads and bridges never mind actually getting cellular service thats reliable or radios that actually allow us to talk to dispatch everywhere in town. Contact the your county EMA or Bruce Fitzgerald at Maine EMA in Augusta

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    nmfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Maryland (DC Suburb)
    Posts
    5,738

    Default

    That basicly how it worked with us. The state's main concern was that what we build is in the best interest of everyone, not just how we can make ourselves happy. By going UHF analog conventional, it puts us on the same page as the entire region.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Yreka, CA
    Posts
    61

    Default

    nmfire

    Very well said. In the 2005 AFG our Regional grant was awarded $973K for communications...pagers, mobiles, handhelds,repeaters, etc.

    Discussion at that time was if it meets the state's recommendation then the P25 stuff wasn't required. It was suggested that all equipment purchased be able to be upgraded to digital...all do, however it would cost a fortune to accomplish. Besides, the analog equipment we purchased meets the interoperability issues now with our largest agencies, USFS and CALFIRE.

    If you build a system to comply with P25 digital, then issues of interoperability, the very reason for the grant in the first place, becomes moot.

    Regards

    Tom

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Fla. Volunteers compete for fire services
    By Tann3100 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 225
    Last Post: 11-13-2006, 08:03 AM
  2. Landmark Interoperability Baseline Survey underway!
    By coldfront in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-31-2006, 01:39 AM
  3. New Business in town!
    By Bryan5871 in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-10-2006, 02:44 AM
  4. Niagara Active Hose fire company feeling the heat
    By Lewiston2FF in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 08:33 PM
  5. has this ever happen to any town with a new fire house
    By Countryboy in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-29-2001, 06:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register