Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Anyone attending Spring Fire College Week?

From thier site:
    The 71st Fire College Week will start off with two certification courses being offered and eleven other emergency services courses. Be sure to enroll early since courses will fill up quickly.
    http://www.alabamafirecollege.org/FC...6/artFCW07.htm
    I went to the Fall week last year and took the propane emergencies class and it was a blast (literally), one of the best trainings I've ever been to.

MembersZone Subscriber

Myself and another ff from my department(Seven Hills Fire District,in mobile county) are going.We are taking LP\Propane the first two days and Wildland\Urban Interface the second two days.LP will be new training for me and the wildland will be nice since we have alot of woods that back up to homes.It looks like the Propane class isnt hands on this year,was it last year?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shfd739 View Post
    Myself and another ff from my department(Seven Hills Fire District,in mobile county) are going.We are taking LP\Propane the first two days and Wildland\Urban Interface the second two days.LP will be new training for me and the wildland will be nice since we have alot of woods that back up to homes.It looks like the Propane class isnt hands on this year,was it last year?
    Yeah the 2nd day was FULL hands on. You'll need full PPE. They have SCBA there to use, but we brought our own so we trained in the equipment we will acctually be using.

The pamplet last year also didnt mention anything about requiring PPE but we found out we did need it. The fire college has a great propane pit and christmas tree, you'll enjoy it. I am a photographer as well and shot about 500 shots during the class on the 2nd day, you can see some of them in my gallery, http://www.scothew.com/gallery

I'll be there thurs-sunday, taking clandestine drug labs on thurs-fri and then crash victim extrication on sat-sun. We've got proably 10 or so people from our department going.

Scott
    Warrior River Fire and Rescue

MembersZone Subscriber

Ill have my PPE anyway since it lives in my trunk.My chief was insisting we take one of our SCBAs and a spare bottle each so well be using our gear, I will definitely be sure we take them now as we werent sure about needing them.Extrication was our first choice for the second class but we were late registering so I really did not expect to get it.It looks like Wildland Interface is a good choice though because weve already 3 fires this month that would be considered interface.Thanks for the heads up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by shfd739 View Post
    Ill have my PPE anyway since it lives in my trunk.My chief was insisting we take one of our SCBAs and a spare bottle each so well be using our gear, I will definitely be sure we take them now as we werent sure about needing them.Extrication was our first choice for the second class but we were late registering so I really did not expect to get it.It looks like Wildland Interface is a good choice though because weve already 3 fires this month that would be considered interface.Thanks for the heads up.
    I think we've got 3 people in the wildland class from my department. The extrication class should be good. I've talked to others that have done it there before and apperently all the equipment manufacturers show up and you get to play with all the toys.

Forum Member

I got some photos of the Propane class while you were outside doing the 500g tank. We had a couple of people from our department in that class with you and they were a tad dissapointed at the amount of hands on experience they got. Last fall we were outside for a good 5 hours, and it only seemed you guys were there maybe 2.

As soon as I get the pics somewhere viewable, i'll post a link here to see if you can spot yourself.

Scott

MembersZone Subscriber

I remember your folks now.ive got about a dozen pics I took but I would like to see yours to see if Jason and myself are in them.I was the only one wearing a blue helmet.I was disappointed in the time being cut short but I think it resulted from people with other depts,not yours or mine,not being ready to go and folks standing around not showing interest.I know Jason and myself had more than enough times on each one,but I only saw some people go once or twice and then stand around.The wildland interface class was ok,learned a little but we dont run the size fires that class is geared toward.Know some people in the Advanced SCBA class and it looks neat but Im not sure about signing for a butt kicking.
    Firefighter/Paramedic Seven Hills Fire Rescue Mobile,AL

Forum Member

Yeah the advanced SCBA class looked killer, but tough!

What is your e-mail address, and I can send you some of the pics.

Thread Information