Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Would you do it again?

sorry for the long read but i need help lol.

im kind of between a rock and a hard spot. im currently about to go into tech school to get a degree in Collision Repair (autobody) but something keeps telling me to go into the Fire Department. I have a real good buddy of mine who got disability from the department a while back and he loved it. The main reason im looking into it is about my future, which is a pretty big thing. I have no clue where i could end up in 20 years at a body shop but in the department i could be retired or still working up the ranks. I've heard the benefits are great but what about pay? espically starting out as a "Probie". Theres a college about 15 min away that offers the fire classes so thats no problem. Can a noobie go into the class and learn what he needs to know to go into the job successfully? minus the experiance of course.

And,lol, would you go into the career you chose if you had the chance?

MembersZone Subscriber hydrotech's Avatar

benifits are good but its varies along with pay from state to state. i wanted to do this "career" my whole life and wouldn't have it any other way. on a side note though if you just want to do it for benifits and you think you''ll get paid more STOP. don't do it. if your heart is not in it you will not make it very far!

Personally, I have never met a FF that did not say it was the greatest job in the world. And the "good" benefits and time off are not the reasons they say it. The satisfaction from firefighting must be amazing. I'm sure it is. I would imagine most guys on here would definitely do it all over again. If you're not sure as to what you wanna do, I would go to your local department and talk to the guys there.
    Good luck

Here's my opinion, for what it's worth...

Being a firefighter isn't just another job, it's actually a calling, more of a true vocation. Ask any firefighter why they are on the job, and 99 times out of 100, you'll get the same answer..."Because I've always wanted to be a firefighter, it's in my blood".
    If they say; "The time off is great, and I get lots of good benefits", they're heart just isn't in this job, they know it, their co-workers know it and the citizens can also see it. They usually don't last very long!

If you're just looking for a job with good pay and good bennies, there are thousands of choices out there. This however, most likely isn't the one you should choose.
    If, on the other hand, you're looking for a career that will continually challenge you physically (firefighting is one of the most exhausting, uncomfortable and dirtiest jobs I can think of), emotionally (you will see tragedy and human suffering that will at times break your heart), and intellectually (contrary to popular belief, there's a hell of a lot to learn if you want to be proficient at your trade). And, if you have a deep desire to help others, with most often the only reward being your own personal satisfaction of having done so, then you probably should look into a career as a firefighter.

Ask yourself this question: How many people do you know that do auto body work for free 24/7/365? What? No volunteer auto body mechanics?
    If firefighting were just another job, you wouldn't have very many volunteers in this profession either, would you?

Kevin
    Last edited by fireman4949; 04-03-2007 at 07:31 PM.
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

what school are you looking at that offers fire science classes?
    GeorgiaFF20

MembersZone Subscriber

At most places, I wouldn't think the pay would be that positive of a thing anyway. haha But like everyone else said, it's something that you have to WANT to do anyway. I recently got on paid-on-call at a nearby full time department. I'm constantly coming by and staying longer just to help out with anything. Just being around the fire house gives me that feeling of joy. Like many of my instructors have said, firefighters aren't normal people. They are a little weird. haha He actually had this sheet that described all these different parts of a firefighters personality. He said most people that do the job relate to pretty much all of them in one way. So only do this if you really want. Because while you might try it because of the benefits. You could be taking up that spot on the department being miserable, which may affect your performance, while another guy is working is butt off to get that job he can't have at the time. Hope that made sense.

Also, I as well have never heard of a firefighter that doesn't like the job. In Milwaukee I heard some hundred or so cops in a certain amount of time have quit and become firefighters. ZERO firefighters have quit and become cops.

Quote Originally Posted by clark918 View Post
    Also, I as well have never heard of a firefighter that doesn't like the job. In Milwaukee I heard some hundred or so cops in a certain amount of time have quit and become firefighters. ZERO firefighters have quit and become cops.
    What do cops and firefighters have in common?

They all want to be firefighters!
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

i really appreciate all the responses! please keep them coming! what do you like the most about this "Career"? the least?

the school is Eastern Kentucky University in richmond ky

Forum Member

Yes, the benefits and time off are great, and the pay isn't bad. Those were the last things on my list when I decided to switch careers at age 34. The main things I wanted were personal and professional satisfaction. I wanted a job where I felt like I was really doing something good with my life. I also wanted to be happy in my work, and to be proud of what I did. I found all of that and a whole lot more in the FD, and for the first time, I found myself surrounded by people who felt the same way. There are way too many things I enjoy about this job to list, but one thing I truly enjoy is passing on the traditions to the new guys, and guiding them the way the senior guys did when I came on. You will get out of this job what you put into it,and if you're in it just for a paycheck and benefits, you won't get too much! Do this job all the way, or don't do it at all!

Thumbs up Do it again?

I LOVE my career in radiography (X-Rays). But if I had known then what I know now, I would have a different career (Paid career).

MembersZone Subscriber fireslayer1237's Avatar

i would say the best part of this job is the addrenalin i have all day and night while at work. then the giant rush you get when the tones hit for a structure fire. to be honest there isn't a part of the job i dont like. I would say thought that if you don't like extremly hard work this job isn't for you. here is a quick over view of an average fire 10-15 min. of fun and excitment with anywhere between 2 hrs to 6 hrs of extremly hard work overhauling a fire. especially as the young guy or new guy. I personally enjoy this part of the job too so you make the call.

I like the big screen televisions and the wide array of cable stations. I like the huge supply of toilet paper. I like the t-shirts and the boots with zippers in them, the free gatorade that the rehab truck brings along with the oreos and the rice krispie treats, though my true favorite is the fig newtons.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    I like the big screen televisions and the wide array of cable stations. I like the huge supply of toilet paper. I like the t-shirts and the boots with zippers in them, the free gatorade that the rehab truck brings along with the oreos and the rice krispie treats, though my true favorite is the fig newtons.
    Great.. you had to bring up fig newtons....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    You guys have big screens? Now I'm jealous, we're still old school 27". Oreos and rice crispie treats is just rubbing it in.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm fairly new to firefighting, started volunteering after I got out of the Marines and have fell in love with it. I'd recommend you look into volunteering in your area and find out if it's something for you. Sometimes all you hear about is the glory stuff and it sounds great, look deep and see everything that goes into it, and then see where that fits into your life. Then if you decide you like what you see, put everything you have into it, and don't stop until your goals are met.

Forum Member

Yeah, just remember, even the most glorious of us, at one point or another, has been on their hands and knees scrubbing the "presents" left on the bathroom floor away. Keep in mind, this is the only job in the world, where in addition to the fire/rescue work, you also have to be a maid, chef, and dishwasher, on a regular daily basis. You'll most likely be buying your own supplies around the station, because the city won't. Meals, are on you. Vaccuuming, you too. Dishes, that's right, you again. Just remember, the glory part is great, and fun work, but at the end of the day, you still have to play janitor too.

Thread Information