Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ladder Safety

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ladder Safety

OK, so we constantly see new ideas and products related to safety. PASS alarms, SCBA, reflective chevrons, Computerized accountability systems. It seems that ladders have remained relativly unchanged in concept but not materials. Knowing the constant changes that keep comming around itseems suprizing to me that there hasnt been some sort of fall arrest system designed for aerials while climbing. Something on the order of an ascender on a cable. Has it been simply a case of no effective methods to improve ladder safety or is it a solution looking for a problem? Also what are yalls thoughts on methods to provide some sort of extra margin of safety?

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't hear of things like this happening too often, if at all. Most safety items being pushed are occuring at alarming rates, and more often than not due to HUMAN ERROR than anything else. Accidents, Poor health, etc...are the leading causes of fatalities, and most, not all can be prevented. (Accidents happend regardless of weather it's the FF's or civilian's fault).
    If more falls start occuring, it won't be long until there are requirements, but then the question is will they restrict our abilities to work??

MembersZone Subscriber

I kind of like the new trend of rung lights (ALF and Smeal, I believe). I think they're strings of LED lights that run up the ladder sections lighting up the rungs. Seems like a safety breakthrough to me.

Quote Originally Posted by oaattx934 View Post
    OK, so we constantly see new ideas and products related to safety. PASS alarms, SCBA, reflective chevrons, Computerized accountability systems. It seems that ladders have remained relativly unchanged in concept but not materials. Knowing the constant changes that keep comming around itseems suprizing to me that there hasnt been some sort of fall arrest system designed for aerials while climbing. Something on the order of an ascender on a cable. Has it been simply a case of no effective methods to improve ladder safety or is it a solution looking for a problem? Also what are yalls thoughts on methods to provide some sort of extra margin of safety?
    Your idea would be neat to see as I do see where you're coming from. I'm sure if you invent something like that you'd be a very rich person. Who know's what will happen down the road maybe they'll make everyone have bucket trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    I kind of like the new trend of rung lights (ALF and Smeal, I believe). I think they're strings of LED lights that run up the ladder sections lighting up the rungs. Seems like a safety breakthrough to me.
    Sounds like a good idea. I don't believe I've seen any pics of that yet.

I'm kind of surprised that osha and dept. of labor stds. haven't ventured into fall arrest system requirement devices for the fire service. As a contractor we wear a harness and anchor off to a fixed point anytime we climb ladders , staging or work above 12' off the ground. Is it a pain in the arse? Once you get used to having a tail attaching you to a point above you it's workable,. But you only need to slip once and come off a roof to make you glad that the harness was there to stop you from a serious fall.

Don't thinkk it has really come up since not many people fall off aerials. They have a 2-3 foot rail on the sides but i could see your idea at a high angle 60+ . Good idea
    Chris
    FF/Lic-Paramedic
    Galveston FD "The Big House"
    IAFF Local 571
    www.galvestonfiredept.org

MembersZone Subscriber Halligan84's Avatar

The cable / ascender deal along with a notched pipe and ascender has been around for years in general industry. I don't see anything like that being useful to us. First, not a lot of info on previous accidents in falls from aerials and second we have a need to be a lot more mobile and able to move quickly. I think the extra time setting a roofer anchor and tying off would add more risk than just cutting and leaving.

MembersZone Subscriber

I was more thinking something built into the ladder, not for roof ops. Has anyone ever seen a PT test for non fire fighters where you put a pully at the top of the aerial with a rope and have the climber wearing a harness atached to the rope? As they climb guys on the ground take up the slack in the rope to belay the inexperienced climber. Maybe something like that could work but I think it would have to be a system that doesnt move so multiple firefighters could clip in. With all of the new drag handles in bunker gear I know that Morning Pride has one that doubles as an escape harness. I dont think a system like that would be very bulky. It might take some getting adjusted to but no more so than carrying a K12 right?

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    I kind of like the new trend of rung lights (ALF and Smeal, I believe).
    Most, if not all, manufacturers offer this, and many have for years now.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Rung lights?Well,that just takes all the sport out of it. So does a bucket.I think I'll exercise option two. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by oaattx934 View Post
    ....or is it a solution looking for a problem?
    You answered your question right there. If your dept members need instruction on how to climb a ladder I'll gladly do so for a $5000 consultants/ training fee!

FTM-PTB

FFFred,Dugie and Champi all set with you taking over consulting?hehe T.C.

Thread Information