Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Naugatuck FD Exam

Please, no phone calls about the test. All the information you need is in the posting below.

We are planning on conducting the written exam and interviews during September and October 2007.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

The Borough of Naugatuck is seeking qualified applicants for the position of Firefighter. Successful candidates must be 21 years of age at time of appointment and must possess a high school diploma or equivalent GED, valid CT Drivers license and no felony convictions.

Applicants must have a State of Connecticut Emergency Medical Technician certification at time of appointment and maintain said certification for a period of 10 years. All candidates must have a CPAT card dated within one year of the written exam. In addition, candidates must successfully complete a thorough background investigation, psychological interview/test, and comprehensive medical examination including drug/alcohol screening. There is a $25.00 application processing fee payable at the time of picking up application packet.

The testing process will begin in the fall. We are applying for a SAFER grant. Any hiring of new firefighters is contingent upon the award of this grant and budget approval by the Borough of Naugatuck. We offer a competitive salary and fringe benefit package. Starting salary in Fiscal Year 2007-2008 will be $42,788.90 annually.

Application packages may be obtained as of Monday, April 2nd at 9:00 am, and submitted (notarized) to the Borough of Naugatuck, Fire Department Administration Office, 41 Maple Street. The deadline for application submission is Friday, April 13th at 3:30 p.m. Applications will not be accepted after the deadline date and time. Go to www.naugatuckonline.com, click on “Fire Department” to download additional information pertinent to the exam.

The Borough of Naugatuck is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination on any basis prohibited by law. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just a FYI about the NFD:

31 full time suppression personnel (captain, lieutenant, six firefighters), 2 stations, 1600-1800 runs per year (We have about 20 to 25 working structure fires per year), no EMS. We run 2 engines and a ladder or heavy rescue (same crew).

3 staff chiefs (I'm one of them) and 2 inspectors in the fire marshal's office.

Great place to work, very good benefits (lots of OT), and a good group of fire fighters who take the job seriously.
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 03-30-2007 at 08:30 PM.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"

MembersZone Subscriber

I was just wondering if you needed to be a CT resident to apply. It doesn't say anything about residency but it does say you need a valid CT license.

Forum Member

Question 10 years?

10 years as an EMT? Is that a new requirement?

MembersZone Subscriber

is cash/personal check okay?

MembersZone Subscriber

Maintaining EMT for 10 years has been part of the hiring requirement for the last couple of tests. While we are not a primary medical responder, we do assist the ambulance crew at MVA's.

Cash or personal check is OK for the application.
    -------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by pickhead2 View Post
    10 years as an EMT? Is that a new requirement?
    im pretty sure he means you must keep your EMT for 10 years while on the job.

Forum Member

When you go to the naugy website is that one application that you can download good for all town employments, thats what you fill out for NFD?

MembersZone Subscriber

Do not use that application-the version at the at the NFD has a line for a Notary Public seal and asks for information above the generic town application. There is additional information about the test in the packet.
    -------------------

Forum Member

so you can pick up the application at the Fire Department Administration Office not human resources correct?

Forum Member

I sent out my application today- the one I found on the website. I had the notary notarize the bottom portion in the blank space. What will happen now? I live quite a distance and there is no way I can pick up an application in person. If they won't accept the application will they send back my money order??
    Thanks
    -Whaler

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PFDCV24 View Post
    so you can pick up the application at the Fire Department Administration Office not human resources correct?
    That is correct.
    -------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PFDCV24 View Post
    When you go to the naugy website is that one application that you can download good for all town employments, thats what you fill out for NFD?
    PM me or send me an e-mail at kennfd1219@yahoo.com
    -------------------

Forum Member

Is there still a volunteer house in Naugy? Or just the two career houses

MembersZone Subscriber

No volunteer firefighters left in town. The volly house went career in 1985, the VFD disbanded two years ago.
    -------------------

Quote Originally Posted by agaudio View Post
    I was just wondering if you needed to be a CT resident to apply. It doesn't say anything about residency but it does say you need a valid CT license.
    FWIW, I've wondered about this one before, too. Naugy isn't the only one to phrase it that way -- our town still says "valid CT license" on applications despite the fact that we have no residency requirement. (And two guys living out of state at the moment... One of the benefits of 24 on, 72 off.)

I suspect it's just an oversight but it's the sort of thing someone with a residence outside of CT should verify before applying.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    I suspect it's just an oversight but it's the sort of thing someone with a residence outside of CT should verify before applying.
    The HR department decided to keep the CT drivers license requirement in place. While we do have a callback system, response is voluntary (members are paid if they respond when called back).

We used to have a 20 minute from fire HQ rule, but it was never enforced. This is just a hold over from that requirement. When I put my applicaion in back in 1983, you had to be a town resident for two years just to apply. No restriction on where you lived after you were hired.

It took some work, but I did get the Fire Commission to agree to drop Fire Fighter I certification as a requirement for application. All new hires go to the CT Fire Academy recruit program regardless of previous training or certification.
    -------------------

Forum Member

Ahh thanks for the info, weird how it worked out, I actually saw a Naugy Lt. tonight at training in southington, I guess he is an instructor for Wolcott and he said Naugy was all paid too, so thanks for the info, just brushing up for the interview tomorrow!

MembersZone Subscriber

Good luck on your interview. Two (out of four) of our LT's and one fire fighter are instructors at Wolcott. The director of the school is a captain and I've been an instructor there for 20+ years.
    -------------------

Forum Member

Well that was a very short interview, most ive done been 8 - 10 questions, this one was like 4 -5. I was one of the last ones to go and it seemed like the panel didnt wanna be there. Guess now its just a wait and see situation

Thread Information