Forum Member

Default Class A and B Foam

Would the cost of a Foam Pro system suitable for Class A and B foam be justifiable in a type 6 engine? We have several of these engines housed throughout our response area and they are typically first on scene.

Forum Member

What kind of area do you cover? Are your type 6 the only engines you run or do you have a big pavement pounder in your arsenal?

Forum Member

Rural, with lots of farming. Lots of big equipment with big fuel tanks. Also two fairly busy Hiways. We have a 1500 gal tender that also has direct attack capabilities and a Deuce and a half for wildland.

Forum Member

If I had the funds I would put a Class A Foam Pro system on every type 6 engine. They are simple and reliable units.

As for Class B foam on a type 6 engine, do you have a need. Most type 6's are close to overloaded so why waste storage space with something that is, at best, of marginal use.

Class B foam has its place, just not on a wildland engine. Class B foam or any 3% to 6% foam requires a lot of foam concentrate to be effective and the 10 to 12 gallons you could carry are not going to get you very far. Just my opinion.

Brad

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrfdengine6 View Post
    Rural, with lots of farming. Lots of big equipment with big fuel tanks. Also two fairly busy Hiways. We have a 1500 gal tender that also has direct attack capabilities and a Deuce and a half for wildland.
    You guys use 2.5" lines for wildland? What kinds of fuels do you have out there?!?!
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

By deuce and a half I meant a military type two and a half ton truck. We use this for wildland direct attack and a tender into rougher terrain.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    You guys use 2.5" lines for wildland? What kinds of fuels do you have out there?!?!

Won't that be a funny sight to see!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrfdengine6 View Post
    By deuce and a half I meant a military type two and a half ton truck. We use this for wildland direct attack and a tender into rougher terrain.
    Ohhhh, ok. *LOL* I getcha... I was gonna say, on a Type VI engine, a 2.5" line would empty your tank in what? Half a minute? 45 seconds? *LOL*
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

Sorry for the confusion. So what are your thoughts on a Foam system with class A and B capabilities. Our Type 6 engines are not strictly wildland engines and typically are first on scene to any call.

Forum Member

If $4000 or so is affordable for your department then yes, I would say a foam pro is worth while. I wouldn't bother carrying class B foam though, class A in higher concentrations (0.5-1%) is effective on small fuel spills and you really can't carry enough class B on a type 6 for the fires class A won't help you with. Now if you have a high hazard class B site and you have a stake side full of class B foam buckets then maybe you have something worth considering.

If you can't really justify the cost, of a foam pro I would consider one of the cheaper around the pump types like a Blizzard Wizard, they are usually well under $1000.

Forum Member

Thanks for the input. I appreciate all of the info.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And..........

My Type 6 has a homemade Foam system that works well. I have been successful in getting a quick knockdown on several well involved vehicle Fires with it, and it does a great job on Wildland Fuels also.

I tapped a .25 hole in the Tank to pump line, added a 1/4 turn valve and a piece of clear plastic tubing. I place the tubing into a 5 gallon bucket of Foam, then turn the valve on a bit when I need it. A little practice and you can figure out your settings pretty close to the Factory Built systems.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Sr. Information Officer

Any addition of Class A or B foam would be money well spent. It only goes to enhance your firefighting capabilities...so WHY NOT? Class A is extremely useful on wildland duff fires, adding penetration to your suppression agent....and all of NJ's type 6 engines carry Class A foam additive.

We usually don't get dispatched to Class B fires, but it wouldn't hurt to have some on board.....although our offices do not stock Class B, for obvious reasons.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Thread Information