Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Community needs vs. FD needs

I attended one of the AFG workshops in my state (CT) and the biggest change they stressed was a higher priority would go to grants addressing the community needs and a lower priority to grants addressing fire department needs. After reading the 2007 program guidance, I didn't see any direct reference to these "needs". The program guidance seems to address "New Risks" versus "New Missions". Am I missing something here. Maybe the priorities have changed since the workshops. We are writing our grants based on "Community needs"

Quote Originally Posted by svfd16 View Post
    I attended one of the AFG workshops in my state (CT) and the biggest change they stressed was a higher priority would go to grants addressing the community needs and a lower priority to grants addressing fire department needs. After reading the 2007 program guidance, I didn't see any direct reference to these "needs". The program guidance seems to address "New Risks" versus "New Missions". Am I missing something here. Maybe the priorities have changed since the workshops. We are writing our grants based on "Community needs"
    What it means is to not just address how the equipmnet will satisfy your needs in the department but to also address how the equipment will serve the community better. Think "cost benefit" and "operational outcomes" .
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like a positive step.

Reads to me as a discussion is in order as to why you can't pass an ISO evaluation (ISO being the only reasonable objective measure of FD readiness), what you're going to do to improve/pass, how this stuff you want to purchase will help to achive this obective and what this will mean to the community

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like a positive step.

Reads to me as a discussion is in order as to why you can't pass an ISO evaluation (ISO being the only reasonable objective measure of FD readiness), what you're going to do to improve/pass, how this stuff you want to purchase will help to achive this obective and what this will mean to the community

Forum Member

We'll continue with this as our priority, I just thought with as much as they talked up the Community vs FD at the workshop that I would have seen this in the program guidance. Our ISO is a 9 and we believe by replacing the 20 year old 5 inch that blows every years at hose testing time and then maxing out our Hose Tender to carry 1 mile of hose we'll be able to cover every area in town and perhaps reduce ISO to 6 or 7. Community wins there, looks like an easy grant to write.

I'm just getting into this grant writing stuff. But from what I've just read communtiy needs vs fd needs. Makes me think if the fd is requesting something they pretty much use it in their community right? So in the end the community will benefit.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Not necessarily. FD needs sometimes are wants, parading around as community needs. Such as departments buying $1.2 mil towers with no tall buildings and 40 calls a year. Department claims need, community served doesn't need it according to national standards.

What they're trying to do with those statements is make people look at national standards and realize that there are some things that some communities need, and others that don't. Like svfd's hose project. Isn't huge, isn't fancy, but it will be solving an FD need (reliable water supply) that will serve the community need (save lives & property). Not that you can't do that with a tower, but hose gets used on every fire regardless of size. Fires have been getting put out long before aerials came around, all of the way back to the original 6" hose that put out the caveman's campfire....

Thread Information