Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default FireFighter Job Question ?????

About 5 years ago I got pullover on my bike when I got separted from the guys I was riding with at that time I only had a permit for the bike, so cop write me a ticket for driving without a cycle endorsment will this affect me when I start looking for a Firefighter job or keep me from getting a job in firefighting period, Im going to done with training in about 4 weeks.....

Thanks

Forum Member

Probably not. This would most likely come up in the application process before you get anywhere near the interview stage. Remember that nobody is perfect. If the worst thing you have is one moving violation then you're well ahead of the game.

Chances are some people applying for the same job have been arrested for small things, have tried drugs, or belong to some secret devil worshiping cult. Come clean about your past and as long as you haven't taken a shot at the president it most likely won't haunt your future.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper23 View Post
    About 5 years ago I got pullover on my bike when I got separted from the guys I was riding with at that time I only had a permit for the bike, so cop write me a ticket for driving without a cycle endorsment will this affect me when I start looking for a Firefighter job or keep me from getting a job in firefighting period, Im going to done with training in about 4 weeks.....

Thanks
    I think you'll be ok "but what do I know" I thought you could ride a bike with a permit but not at night time or something.

It shouldnt hurt we have guys on the job with dui's. as long as you stay out of jail and answer the questions on your application honestly they won't pay any attention to that. minor traffic violation. not only that but most don't look that far back on traffic offences
    Last edited by plisken; 03-30-2007 at 10:42 PM.

were you riding a bicycle or a motor bike?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you guys that makes me feel alot better, someone told me that it would screw me on getting a job as a FF....

MembersZone Subscriber

A Motorcycle

Well trust me their are guys on the job or trying to get the job with worse records than that. Good thing it was a motor cycle because a ticket on a bike is shameful. The guys in the hall would never let you live it down. We have the Golden dip stick award given for things like that: dui on a bicycle, running over your captain with the firetruck(mine) not the dui just remember be honest about your past on the application. Things left out they will find,.
    Last edited by plisken; 03-30-2007 at 11:18 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by plisken View Post
    Well trust me their are guys on the job or trying to get the job with worse records than that. Good thing it was a motor cycle because a ticket on a bike is shameful.
    Yes the would be but I have heard people getting DUIs on a bicycle..

Yes we have one on our dept after he got one in his car. Kept his job though.

trapper where you looking at testing. Im board, im on shift right now a major Ice storm going on outside and we have yet to turn a wheel. either we will sleep all night long or all he.. is going to break loose. I hope people stay home and be good but dam. is it slow.
    Last edited by plisken; 03-30-2007 at 11:32 PM.

Beartrap, Driving your bike without the proper endorsement is something you will need to explain, if asked in an interview. Just be honest by admitting you made a poor choice which you deeply regret. Whatever you do, don't try and down play the seriousness of the offence or blame it on being young and foolish. Good luck "C.H.I.P.S.!''

Thumbs down Freedom of religon

[QUOTE=TurkII;791807] or belong to some secret devil worshiping cult./QUOTE]

It's not illegal to belong to a cult, nor be a Satanist.
    Freedom of religon is what America is all about.
    ****I'm not in a cult, nor am I a Satanist.****

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, you will have to answer to it. This is not going to keep you from getting hired as a firefighter. Be honest and don't try to make excuses.

I am certain the background investigator will deal with more serious issues than this one. Do not make any other mistakes and this is a one time event. Add a ticket, open container, underage drinking and it now becomes a pattern. If it's an isolated event I wouldn't sweat it.

Take care,

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Default Easy rider

Do you have any other driving infractions, or legal issues, that may effect your eligibility? To give you sound advice,one needs to know the big picture. If this is the only blemish on your record, then you have no worries. Sounds like you're well on your way to success dude. Best of luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have other tickets speeding tickets on my record but I haven't had one in about 3 years. Those are the only thing on my record nothing else.....

Forum Member

The speeding tickets could be an issue. A couple of places I've tried to apply to won't even look at an application if you've had one in the last 3-5 years.

Thumbs up

Those additional speeding tickets may mean an abrupt exit from your interview, through the trap door. Best park the crotch rocket for awhile, and dust off the Schwinn. Good luck

Let me break this down for you. Speeding tickets in general are not a big deal right? Everyone gets them. However if you continue to get them throughout your teens and after your of age it might show that you are either lacking maturity or the ability to follow directions. This is the way departments look at this when hiring. They would say something like, if you cannot follow something as simple as the speed limit how do you expect us to trust you to follow the rules of the department?

My advice to you is to have no negative contact with law enforcement and keep your driving record clean. Live your life as if you were already a Firefighter and as if every action you make was to be looked at by the dept. you want to work for.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks guys I have learned my listen with speeding it was all one bad year that year and looks like it may come back and bite me in azz now, man the stuipd stuff we do as kids.....

Thread Information