Thread: Cascades

Forum Member

Default Cascades

Under Basic Equipment this year it lists "Complete Air-Fill System."

Then under Specialized Equipment it lists "Compressors/Cascade/Fill Station (Mobile)" and "Compressors/Cascade/Fill Station (Fixed)"

As if that's not enough...it also once again lists "Complete Air-Fill System" under Specialized Equipment.

It's not that I'm having trouble deciding what to apply for this year, but this is certainly making me second guess myself!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I'd ignore the Air-Fills, seem like typos to me. Unless that's a poor attempt at calling something a Fill Station. Haven't gotten to a compressor submission yet, no time to dig around and see what hidden joys this year's application holds.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hopefully I'm not hijacking, but this does pertain to cascades and such.

There's five questions in regards to equipment...
    • The equipment is necessary for the organization's basic mission, but has never been owned before
    • The equipment will replace old, obsolete, or substandard equipment currently owned by your organization
    • The equipment will increase your organization's capabilities within existing mission areas or to address a new risk
    • The equipment will expand the capabilities of your organization into a new mission area
    • The equipment will increase your organization's available supply of this equipment to meet basic mission

Since we've never owned an air refill unit, I'm thinking we may fit in the first or third question. Problem is, which one? Is refilling air bottles "necessary" by the rules?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

SCBA is part of the basic mission, and have to have a way to refill them to fulfill that mission, so I'd say #1.

You're not really increasing your capablities because filled SCBA is nothing new, and it's not a new risk to not have filled SCBAs.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Further hijacking...

With regard to Catch22's question...

We are doing a hose project--replacing attack lines and converting supply to LDH. Never had LDH before. Attack lines are definitely replacement, but is the LDH Basic, Replacement (we have hard suction and 3"cotton), or Expanding Capabilities (being able to connect to the rest of the county!!)?

Sly (attempt to get back on topic)--when i saw the Complete Air Fill item and then the individual components listed, my interpretation was similar to the "complete turnout gear" option versus the separate listings for bunker gear, helmets, boots, etc. I'm guessing a choice to request a single line item for compressor-cascade-fill station as separate line items. If i'm right on that, the separate line items might give a dept the chance to be more flexible on accepting a reduction to keep an existing compressor (for example) while still getting a fill station/cascade. Just guessing.

Thanks.

earl

FH Mag/.com Contributor

LDH would be expanding since you've always run supply lines and that's part of basic ops, but LDH will enhance/expand your capabilities.

They pulled the head to toe PPE option, have to put in each piece.

And last year I had 1 with cascades already so just picked fixed option and explained in the box about just needing the compressor & fill, which is why the price was lower.

Forum Member

The point I'm going for is that we currently have NO capabilities to refill SCBA. No portable units, fixed units, anything. We travel to a neighboring station (which has to be prearranged) so we definately need something to fulfill our basic mission.

I thought the same thing as you Earl when I saw the "complete" package. It's listed twice. Question would be would "Basic Equipment" score higher than "Specialized" or would they be scored the same?

Every other year people have been awarded using the Compressors/Cascade/etc. catagory so I'm not sure what the difference is.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Does anyone have a narrative for the air system we have been denied twice gptfd226@hotmail.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I am in the same boat. We are 0 for 4 on a cascade system. We are traveling 35 miles round trip to fill our bottles and the department that is filling our bottles does not want us to come there during night time hours. We are having to wait till the next day.

Forum Member

I'm in the same boat 0 for 3 for a air system. Each year I make it to the final Dear John's and I don't know where I go wrong. I must be missing some simple. If any one would like to share their narrative, I would greatly appreciate it. I might be able to pick something form yours that may help me over the edge.

Forum Member

gptfd226, Volchief1, and chief1120:

Out of curiosity, what have your previous applications included? JUST an air refill station or additional equipment?

MembersZone Subscriber

Volchief1 and chief1120,
    I have a winning SCBA/Fill Station narrative if you'll drop me an email I'll gladly share them with you. I can't guarantee they'll work for you, but you can give it a shot.

firechief@blountstownfire.org

Forum Member

Please send one to me also. Flochief
    jamgwill@southernco.com

Forum Member

Smile Please send me a copy of your narrative

Please send me a copy of your narrative. We had a compressor donated to us from a department that received a new compressor via a FIRE Act grant last year.

We need a cascade system and the fill station so that we can use the donated compressor. We really need a phase converter also (motor is 3 phase, station is single phase).

Thanks in adavance!

mitch@kratochvil.us

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post

Out of curiosity, what have your previous applications included? JUST an air refill station or additional equipment?
    We have been asking for other items as well. I have been talking to kirt and he has given me some instruction on writing. I feel like I have a better chance going with one direction. We will be asking for a compressor, cascade and 2 position fill station as well as SCBA mask for each of my firemen.

Forum Member

Sly,
    Please Contact me @ EWFC5.msn.com
    Gary

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Volchief1 View Post
    We have been asking for other items as well. I have been talking to kirt and he has given me some instruction on writing. I feel like I have a better chance going with one direction. We will be asking for a compressor, cascade and 2 position fill station as well as SCBA mask for each of my firemen.
    Hey Scott, I can't find your e-mail address. Send me one at greenacres2@comcast.net.

earl

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SLY4420 View Post

We went for a compressor, fill station and cascade system in one fixed unit for the station, also a mobile cascade unit for our rescue truck (van).

Forum Member

Firechief47, If you dont mind would you please send me a copy of your Air -Cascade Narrative, we are going to apply this year for an in-station system.
    Thanks
    louannfd1@hotmail.com

Thread Information