Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reciprocity

Forum Member

Well i will take this in a different direction then what is the minimum training necesary to be a interior firefighter in ca (vollie). I am a FF2 in maine so i am not worried about not knowing what i am doing.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by swfire42 View Post
    Well i will take this in a different direction then what is the minimum training necesary to be a interior firefighter in ca (vollie). I am a FF2 in maine so i am not worried about not knowing what i am doing.
    I'm sure that someone will cite either a CSFM document, or an OSHA reg that says the min standard for interior firefighter in CA is FF1.
    If that's the case, I can tell you just about every pure-vollie and probably at least 75% of the combination departments in this state are in violation of said rule, law, or regulation.

Then again, lots of departments are hiring and promoting guys to Engineer without their FF2, or Driver/Operator 1A & 1B certs... *shrug*

Personally, if all you're looking for is just to be a volunteer, show you can do all the skills in the Certified Volunteer Firefighter Training Record, and have your volunteer/combination dept send that in (must have The Chief's signature). You might want to "update" your HAZMAT FRO and CSR Operations to "California Standard", too, just to cover all the bases.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

MembersZone Subscriber NorcalMike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swfire42 View Post
    The volunteer department I belonged to prior to be hired full time required a 32 hour class that was taught on two consecutive weekends plus you wore a Large red "R" on your helmet for a year. FF1 was never required but was recommended.
    Mike
    Fire Captain

Sorry I upset you. That was not my goal. California is a big state and I forget that things aren't always the same everywhere.

There are other community colleges that are cheaper and supply PPE. There are also colleges that do a part time program for those who must work during the academy.

Funny, I just saw an announcement for an "FF2 Academy" being put on by another local community college... open registration to anyone possessing a current FF1 cert. So I guess you can do it as department training, or if you have a local CC willing to put it on as a full class, there ya go, too. *shrug*
    First time I heard of this. I stand corrected.
    Mike
    Fire Captain

swfire42 private message me with your email if you have any more questions.
    Mike
    Fire Captain

Thread Information