Forum Member

Default Abolish bilingual education, Gingrich urges

Abolish bilingual education, Gingrich urges
    POSTED: 10:50 p.m. EDT, March 31, 2007
    Story Highlights
    Newt Gingrich equates bilingual education with "language of living in a ghetto"
    Former House speaker says election ballots should be in English only
    Bilingual teaching advocate calls speech "hateful"
    Peter Zamora says immigrants don't resist learning English

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich equated bilingual education Saturday with "the language of living in a ghetto" and mocked requirements that ballots be printed in multiple languages.

"The government should quit mandating that various documents be printed in any one of 700 languages depending on who randomly shows up" to vote, said Gingrich, who is considering seeking the Republican presidential nomination in 2008. He made the comments in a speech to the National Federation of Republican Women.

"The American people believe English should be the official language of the government. ... We should replace bilingual education with immersion in English so people learn the common language of the country and they learn the language of prosperity, not the language of living in a ghetto," Gingrich said to cheers from the crowd of more than 100.

"Citizenship requires passing a test on American history in English. If that's true, then we do not have to create ballots in any language except English," he said.

Peter Zamora, co-chair of the Washington-based Hispanic Education Coalition, which supports bilingual education, said, "The tone of his comments were very hateful. Spanish is spoken by many individuals who do not live in the ghetto."

He said research has shown "that bilingual education is the best method of teaching English to non-English speakers."

Spanish-speakers, Zamora said, know they need to learn English.

"There's no resistance to learning English, really, among immigrants, among native-born citizens," he said. "Everyone wants to learn English because it's what you need to thrive in this country."

In the past, Gingrich has supported making English the nation's official language. He's also said all American children should learn English and that other languages should be secondary in schools.

In 1995, for example, he said bilingualism poses "long-term dangers to the fabric of our nation" and that "allowing bilingualism to continue to grow is very dangerous."

Bilingual programs teach students reading, arithmetic and other basic skills in their native language so they do not fall behind while mastering English.

On voting, federal law requires districts with large populations of non-English speakers to print ballots in multiple languages.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/03/...rss_topstories
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Road signs are in one language, so why is the driver's test in 20-something?

Uh oh, here comes Snozzle and SC to tell me how racist I am, since they know so much about me.

Forum Member

I give Gingrich all the attention he deserves.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

The great "Melting Pot" debate rears its ugly head again.

When my Grandparents came to this country in the 1920's they spoke Italian. They were smart enough to know if they ever wanted to truly succeed and make it out of the Italian speaking only neighborhoods they needed to learn to speak English. Once they did they could essentially go anywhere and be anything they had the talents to be. Their kids were raised speaking and reading and writing English. This was simply the best way for any immigrant to become a prosperous member of society.

Today we have a few people that still subscribe to the melting pot theory and more that subscribe to the lets go to America for all that is good but simply refuse to learn the majority language of this country. I am not at all suggesting that people give up their language or their heritage or their customs. They have every right to practice all three but not in the workplace. But I, as a consumer OR a potential employer, have every right to believe that since English is the majority language that people taking care of me or working for me will be able to speak English.

It would be hypocritical of me to turn this into an anti immigration issue since I am only second generation in my family born in this country. It isn't about that at all. Its about becoming a real citizen of the country you decide to reside in.

FyredUp
    Last edited by FyredUp; 04-01-2007 at 01:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Forum Member

We'd be far better served if the businesses stopped having "Press 1 for..." and bilingual signs in the stores.

It's pretty basic, if you want to get a point across in America...you hit people in the wallet.

Fortunately, if you look up the word "Unelectable" in a dictionary, there's two pictures next to it -- Hillary & Gingrich. Many of Gingrich's ideas are good, but he also goes off tilting at windmills at times, and most importantly continues to fail to live up to his own standards (not talking about living and learning, we're talking about knowing and doing). Nominate those two, and someone could roll out H. Ross Perot drolling and strapped into a wheelchair in June and he'd become President.

Bilingual education should be replaced instead with an immersion program to get the students up to speed in English in a year then into their normal school programs.

Forum Member

The President's mom and dad are opposed to this concept.

Excerpt:

Even President Bush opposed the idea; in a television interview his wife, Barbara, condemned it as a racial slur.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post

Excerpt:

Even President Bush opposed the idea; in a television interview his wife, Barbara, condemned it as a racial slur.
    I would love to see the full text where you took that quote from. Anyone can take one sentence from any interview out of context and apply it as they wish later. Not say you did but there is no way for me to tell without more.

Forum Member

Bilingual education should be replaced instead with an immersion program to get the students up to speed in English in a year then into their normal school programs.
    Umm...how are teachers going to teach English to them if they don't know Spanish? You must have bilingual teachers to teach them anything, especially English.
    This is just another right wing whipping boy that's brought up as a talking point over and over again. It means nothing. Anyone who gets worked up over signs and auto operators that read and speak different languages has too much time on their hands. Get over it, already crybabies.

Forum Member

No there's something you don't see everyday- a liberal calling somebody ELSE a crybaby.

But at least since he went straight to the namecalling, we know for sure that he has no supportable response and can be safely ignored.

Forum Member

Excerpt:

But by following the context of the article leading up to that point, we can see that the President could hardly come out in favor of English-only policies when their biggest champion had just been excoriated by the revelation of a memo with racist overtones.

"Nowhere was the damage more evident than in Arizona, where editorial cartoons linked English-only proponents to Nazis and Klansmen."

Even if he privately supported English-only, do you really expect a first-term President to tie himself to THAT? Politicians will, after all, be politicians.

Forum Member

But at least since he went straight to the namecalling, we know for sure that he has no supportable response and can be safely ignored.
    Don't want to be called a baby? Then quit whining about street signs and having to push one for English.

Forum Member

No there's something you don't see everyday- a liberal calling somebody ELSE a crybaby.
    Right. Count the posts started on these forums by righties whining about one thing or the other...then compare them to the ones started by liberals. You guys are hands-down the biggest whiners in the world.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    The great "Melting Pot" debate rears its ugly head again.

When my Grandparents came to this country in the 1920's they spoke Italian. They were smart enough to know if they ever wanted to truly succeed and make it out of the Italian speaking only neighborhoods they needed to learn to speak English. Once they did they could essentially go anywhere and be anything they had the talents to be. Their kids were raised speaking and reading and writing English. This was simply the best way for any immigrant to become a prosperous member of society.

Today we have a few people that still subscribe to the melting pot theory and more that subscribe to the lets go to America for all that is good but simply refuse to learn the majority language of this country. I am not at all suggesting that people give up their language or their heritage or their customs. They have every right to practice all three but not in the workplace. But I, as a consumer OR a potential employer, have every right to believe that since English is the majority language that people taking care of me or working for me will be able to speak English.

It would be hypocritical of me to turn this into an anti immigration issue since I am only second generation in my family born in this country. It isn't about that at all. Its about becoming a real citizen of the country you decide to reside in.

FyredUp
    Couldn't agree more ! My father and his parents also immigrated from Italy. Your story sounds familiar LOL . 1st generation born here myself.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Have you ever actually lived outside the U.S. ?

If you have you would probably support the English only idea. Your one week vacation does not count!

In 23 years of military service I learned one thing very quickly.

When you are in someone elses country you play by their rules. If you want your kids to be taught in English, they go to school at a DOD school. Otherwise, your kids adapt to the local culture. They damn sure are not going to rearrange their country for you!

Bottom Line: If you voluntarily move to another country, you voluntarily agree to play by their rules. That includes using their language.

Last time I checked they didn't pass any special laws foe me in Italy, El Salvador, Bosnia or Iraq while I was there. I had to adapt to their language and customs. This is not a hard concept.

Yes, they do need bilingual teachers to teach english. The issue comes when they let kids graduate from a U.S. school when they can't speak english.

I am all for anyone who has the dream and determination to come to the U.S. to take advantage of what we offer, as long as the play by the rules in the process. But, if we played the game like the rest of the world, you come to our home field - you play by our rules, then it would not be an issue.

Just because you support conservation it does not automatically make you a radical tree hugger. Likewise, if you move to our country is does not automatically give you the right to expect us to change our way of life and rearrange the country to accomodate you.

What those prompts on the phone should say are:

Press 1 to hear this message in english.

Press 2 to be put on hold till your learn english

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Only in America!

Quote Originally Posted by emt161 View Post
    But by following the context of the article leading up to that point, we can see that the President could hardly come out in favor of English-only policies when their biggest champion had just been excoriated by the revelation of a memo with racist overtones.

"Nowhere was the damage more evident than in Arizona, where editorial cartoons linked English-only proponents to Nazis and Klansmen."

Even if he privately supported English-only, do you really expect a first-term President to tie himself to THAT? Politicians will, after all, be politicians.
    Of course Bush won't support it. It would put a dent in NAFTA and his vision for immigration reform. Then not only would we have a president contradicting himself but you would have to listen to the left wing, I can hear them now:

"What? We are really glad you opened the borders and moved all of our industrial base to foriegn countries but your gonna make them speak english when they live here? That's cruel and un-American......"

WAH-WAH-WAH

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    Umm...how are teachers going to teach English to them if they don't know Spanish? You must have bilingual teachers to teach them anything, especially English.
    This is just another right wing whipping boy that's brought up as a talking point over and over again. It means nothing. Anyone who gets worked up over signs and auto operators that read and speak different languages has too much time on their hands. Get over it, already crybabies.
    ummm, no one has said a person shouldn't or can't be bilingual. in fact, being bi-lingual is great, especially when you go to a foreign nation so you can communicate in their language.

The issue is that everyone should be able to speak English. If a person can speak french, spanish, italian, german, korean, good for them, provided they can still communicate in English.

btw for those that say Pres. Bush was against it, that's not entirely accurate. He and his wife thought the memo that was circulated (in the web link) contained a reference that was construed as a racist slur, but they didn't say the idea was bad. nothing like taking something out of context to push a point across.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Nozz rarely has a supportable response for anything on here. Ask him how he's doing with getting the proof that the Iraq War is over oil.

Forum Member

Really??!!?? Because we have been told by numerous presidential supporters that Bush's decisions aren't poll driven. That he makes decisions based upon what is the right thing to do.

Glad to see you admit that isn't true.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    Have you ever lived in an area where the majority doesn't speak english, roll on any calls lately where you can't assess a pt because all he can say is "hi how are you", and "no english, only espanol". You live in a town with barely 8 thousand people, try doing a little time out here in so cal, or any area where there is mass amounts of illegal aliens and non english speaking people, and it wont be too long before you join the ranks of the "crybabies" who want it so EVERYONE can speak english. It's more then just a convienence for us, it's a safety issue for them and us especially in our field. I too am a 2nd gen american and you can be damned sure my grandparents learned english before they came to this country. The way I see it, you left your country for a reason right? What reason? Because despite all of it's faults the good ol' U S of A is better then where ever it is you came from, so shouldn't you want to learn the culture and the language, shouldn't you want to leave behind the crap that you left behind. If you loved your homeland so much that you dont feel the need to learn the language here, maybe your homeland is where you should return.

Forum Member

How is it racist to expect people to learn the language of a nation when they move there to settle?
    In France,you have to learn French and that doesn't guarantee you'll ever get a cab or what you wanted from the menu to eat.
    In Japan,I am told that gajin(usually softly translated as"foreigners") are required to learn Japanese in school and for the workplace.The only places English is spoken at work is the air traffic control tower and for Japanese schoolkids destined for international business.
    As to it being racist,well my family is of Scottish descent.It's hard for me to keep a learned language unless I use it daily.Do you think anyone would be helped with me trying to remember anything after tellling someone"Soy bombero y paramedico"?("I am a firefighter/EMT")and then having to flip through a English/Spanish dictionary to ask them what the problem is and how long they've had it?

Excerpt:

Forum Member

Dont forget the hispanics who feel the National Anthem needs to be written in Spanish for them. When the hell are we as a country going to get rid of this godblessed Political Correctness. If someones feelings get hurt because of something you do, then tell them to get over it. I am tired of having our country change this and that for non english speakers, for illegal aliens, you name it. The ACLU is probably one of the biggest pushes for this crap. For those of you who dont know the ACLU is a COMMUNIST party. The ACP (American Communist Party) formed the ACLU to push their ideals and beliefs into mainstream america. The former president of the ACP said the ACLU will act as a transmission belt for the ACP. Lets go back to the good ole Kick ***** US of A and forget about whos feelings get hurt in the process. As we all grew up our parents always told us, "Life isnt fair" well obviously the tides have changed. If you feel you arent being treated fairly, you can sue them. So do we tell our kids now "If life isnt fair, get a lawyer and sue it to get rich"??????

Forum Member

Lets go back to the good ole Kick ***** US of A and forget about whos feelings get hurt in the process.
    Feelings hurt?? You're the one whining.

Forum Member

Have you ever lived in an area where the majority doesn't speak english, roll on any calls lately where you can't assess a pt because all he can say is "hi how are you", and "no english, only espanol". You live in a town with barely 8 thousand people, try doing a little time out here in so cal, or any area where there is mass amounts of illegal aliens and non english speaking people, and it wont be too long before you join the ranks of the "crybabies" who want it so EVERYONE can speak english.
    Like I stated to another poster before...you don't know much about East Tennessee, do you? We deal with immigrants quite frequently. It's just one more challenge that comes with the job. I'm sure not going to sit around crying about it.

Forum Member

I'm not whining. I am ****ed, yes. I dont feel that we should bend over backwards to make people feel welcome or comfortable. Thats why we make friends...we like being around those people. In all actuallity it is the ones who feel they are due respect and want us to watch everything we say who are whining. "SO and So said this..and i was offended...I want it fixed..." tell em to deal with it and move on...

Secure our borders, shoot to kill anyone not crossing legally, keep tabs on those who cross legally, and if they dont learn english and get a job, and become citizens withing x number of years....shoot to kill...

Should clear up the illegal alien problem rather quickly. and the other than english requiremtns everywhere.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FireDawgEMT22 View Post
    I'm not whining. I am ****ed, yes. I dont feel that we should bend over backwards to make people feel welcome or comfortable. Thats why we make friends...we like being around those people. In all actuallity it is the ones who feel they are due respect and want us to watch everything we say who are whining. "SO and So said this..and i was offended...I want it fixed..." tell em to deal with it and move on...

Secure our borders, shoot to kill anyone not crossing legally, keep tabs on those who cross legally, and if they dont learn english and get a job, and become citizens withing x number of years....shoot to kill...

Should clear up the illegal alien problem rather quickly. and the other than english requiremtns everywhere.
    I couldnt put it any better Gump.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information