Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Boeing 797 unveiled

I got this from my Dad, who used to work for Boeing and apparently still has some friends there by looking at what someone sent him. He said he got it a day early, that this would be announced officially on Sunday. Interesting stuff.

Look at this new aircraft...guess we are not going to be outdone by the French A380. Boeing to take on Airbus with (1000 seat) giant 797 Blended Wing airplane (see attached photo).

Boeing is preparing a 1000 passenger jet that could reshape the Air Travel industry for the next 100 years. The radical Blended Wing design has been developed by Boeing in cooperation with the NASA Langley Research Center. The mammoth plane will have a wing span of 265 feet compared to the 747's 211 feet, and is designed to fit within the newly created terminals used for the 555 seat Airbus A380, which is 262 feet wide.

The new 797 is in direct response to the Airbus A380 which has racked up 159 orders, but has not yet flown any passengers. Boeing decide to kill its 747X stretched super jumbo in 2003 after little interest was shown by airline companies, but has continued to develop the ultimate Airbus crusher 797 for years at its Phantom Works research facility in Long Beach, Calif.

The Airbus A380 has been in the works since 1999 and has accumulated $13 billion in development costs, which gives Boeing a huge advantage now that Airbus has committed to the older style tubular aircraft for decades to come.

There are several big advantages to the blended wing design, the most important being the lift-to-drag ratio which is expected to increase by an amazing 50%, with overall weight reduced by 25%, making it an estimated 33% more efficient than the A380, and making Airbus's $13 billion dollar investment look pretty shaky.

High body rigidity is another key factor in blended wing aircraft. It reduces turbulence and creates less stress on the air frame which adds to efficiency, giving the 797 a tremendous 8800 nautical mile range with its 1000 passengers flying comfortably at mach 0.88 or 654 mph (+-1046km/h) cruising speed another advantage over the Airbus tube-and-wing designed A380's 570 mph (912 km/h).

The exact date for introduction is unclear, but the battle lines are clearly drawn in the high-stakes war for civilian air supremacy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

It looks sort of like a civilian B-2, at least from the front. Pretty wild.
    "Yeah, but as I've always said, this country has A.D.D." - Denis Leary

http://www.lettertogop.com/

MembersZone Subscriber SteveDude's Avatar

Nice story....

BTW, the A380 isn't French...its European...it is made in the UK, Spain, Germany & France, but finally assembled in France.
    Airbus S.A.S. is the aircraft manufacturing subsidiary of EADS N.V., a pan-European aerospace concern. Based at Toulouse, France with significant operations in other European states
    Last edited by SteveDude; 04-01-2007 at 07:39 AM.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDude View Post

Nice story....

BTW, the A380 isn't French...its European...it is made in the UK, Spain, Germany & France, but finally assembled in France.
    Thanks for the clarification, Steve!
    Last edited by ElectricHoser; 04-01-2007 at 07:49 AM.
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

MembersZone Subscriber

But I think your winks gave it away, at least you dragged it on a little bit longer. Thanks for the retro-edit, making the thread a little longer, lol.

FWIW, I really did get it from my Dad, and he really did work for Boeing..... until 1971.
    Last edited by ElectricHoser; 04-01-2007 at 07:50 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber SteveDude's Avatar

Aww, sorry Guys...It has gone noon over here. I forgot to consider the time difference!!!!

DOH!!!

OK, I've edited it...carry on, I'm saying nothing else!!!
    Last edited by SteveDude; 04-01-2007 at 07:40 AM.
    Steve Dude
    IACOJ member
    www.fireservice.co.uk

London Fire Brigade...."Can Do"

'Irony'... It's a British thing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

Great looking plane. But how many will be able to aford to buy these or the Airbus with the way the industry is today?

T.J.

Thats a monster. Thank god I'm not the one having too fly that thing thing around
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Ahh the "famous" 797. It is a nice conceptual aircraft but not under any major development thought the concept is being developed. Plus on the runways that we have now it would not be very practical with the tarmac traffic pattern or easily work with the terminal structures of most airports. Plus it is bloody huge. From what my friends at Boeing said about it (or what they thought about it) is that it is a logistical nightmare and that it would not be as good as it sounds. I think they may try to market it but not enough interest will be developed and they will scrap the program. Just my thought. O the picture is computer generated.

MembersZone Subscriber

SteveDude just about blew my cover.

Happy April 1st.

but the thing is that they did look at developing it.

But yah still got me.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Umm... nice... I think But on a more technical aspect, the Airbus made a "debut" landing here in Dulles a few days ago. Here only because this was one of the few North American airfields where it could actually land and then take off again. Kinda sounds like the Concord, eh? LOL

Otherwise.... well I do know that the Boeing 777 is a very wonderful a/c. Got to fly first class in one from Dubai, UAE to London/Heathrow a few years ago - very nice! {and the a/c was too hehehehheeehee}
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

That picture is from Popular Science and it's about 2 years old. It was a story about airline travel in the future and has nothing to do with Boeing.

Sorry to burst your bubble...

MembersZone Subscriber

mfdstation8-
    If you had bother to read it was an April FOOLS joke he put out, SO I hate to bust your bubble but he got you too.

T.J.

Forum Member

Yeah...I knew that! I was just testing you guys...

OK, OK, I bit on it!

Happy April 4th.

Forum Member

Dang...I even got THAT wrong. It's the 5th!

Thread Information