Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Man shoots two on way to see brother's game

I suppose there is no way that crap video games like "Grand Theft Auto" could have POSSIBLY influenced this MUTT's behavior. What a silly idea, after all.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17893563/
    Man shoots two on way to see brother's game
    Pepper kills woman, steals cars before South Carolina scrimmage

COLUMBIA, S.C. - A man killed a 60-year-old woman and shot a store clerk to get cars on his way to see his brother, who was playing football at the University of South Carolina, authorities said Saturday.

Demetrius M. Pepper, 24, was arrested outside of the stadium where the team was playing a scrimmage game, Newberry County deputies said. His brother, Nathan Pepper, is a rising junior defensive lineman for the Gamecocks.

Deputies said the elder Pepper stole his first car after shooting its owner at a Greenville convenience store around 7:45 a.m. Saturday. The car broke down, so he went to the home of 60-year-old Ellie Halfarce looking for another vehicle, Sheriff Lee Foster said.

He rang the doorbell and forced his way in after Halfacre answered, fatally shooting her before taking another vehicle, Foster said.

“There were two cars in the yard that had keys in them. All he had to do was take the car. He didn’t have to go in and kill her over a car,” Foster said.

The convenience store owner was taken to a hospital, authorities said. A condition was not available.

Demetrius Pepper was charged with murder in Newberry County and assault and battery with intent to kill and possession of a weapon during a violent crime in Greenville County, authorities said.

A woman identifying herself as Pepper’s mother answered the phone at a Greenville home, but said she wouldn’t comment.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

The way I see it, if you're messed up enough to shoot somebody for something like that, it's going to happen whether you played GTA or Pac-Man. I didn't see anywhere in the article where it mentioned what games he did or did not play.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by kerekesk View Post
    The way I see it, if you're messed up enough to shoot somebody for something like that, it's going to happen whether you played GTA or Pac-Man. I didn't see anywhere in the article where it mentioned what games he did or did not play.
    It didn't. I drew my own conclusions.
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Angry

I doubt that video games had anything to do with it. My thought is, if this guy is 24 years old and "suddenly" felt it necessary to shoot two people just for some transportation to the ball game, it's probably not his first rodeo. Bet he's killed a few people already that he just never got caught for.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricHoser View Post
    It didn't. I drew my own conclusions.
    Hm...drawing doesn't seem to be your strong suit. Try music or poetry next time.

Seriously, though...as a kid and adult I've played:
    DOOM--and now I'm well educated that demons are best killed with double-barrel shotguns and chainsaws to the face.
    Halo (and its sequel)--and learned that short dog-like aliens are relatively harmless, while tall aliens who speak Swahili are a menace to humanity.
    Falcon 3.0 (yes, I'm dating myself there )--taught me how to fly, and more importantly, how to drop LGBs from high altitude on unsuspecting commie bastages.
    SimCity (really dating there *LOL*)--taught me how to be a mayor.
    and finally...
    the Grand Theft Auto series of games--taught me how to shoot guns accurately... utilizing a D-pad or keyboard and mouse combination...

Interestingly enough, for all those hours spent on these "violent, horrible games that teach elite marksmanship skills", when I started the police academy, I was a HORRIBLE shot. My shooting mechanics sucked, and I needed a hell of a lot of work and practice, and help from my fellow classmates before I became a decent handgun shot.

The lesson here: don't believe all the crap you see on TV or read in Newsweek... GTA didn't teach anyone to shoot any more than Microsoft Flight Simulator taught them to fly a 747, or Project Gotham Racing taught them race driving.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

MembersZone Subscriber

I've learned a lesson about posting in the middle of the night.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricHoser View Post
    I've learned a lesson about posting in the middle of the night.
    Yep: next time do it with a couple shots of Gentleman Jack in your belly and a beer in your hand (after all, a beer in the hand is worth 5 in the fridge) and you'll have a hell of a lot more fun!

Edit to add: Ya know, I played DOOM when it first came out like...15 years ago or somewhere thereabouts... and to this very day, I still wonder if a chainsaw to the face is the best method to kill a demon...
    Last edited by the1141man; 04-01-2007 at 09:53 PM.
    My opinions might coincide with someone of importance's POV... I wouldn't know, since I never bothered to ask. My policy is: "Don't ask, don't care."

IACOJ--West Coast PITA

Forum Member

I suppose there is no way that crap video games like "Grand Theft Auto" could have POSSIBLY influenced this MUTT's behavior. What a silly idea, after all.
    Sure, what the hell. Why encourage personal respsonsibility when we could blame somebody else?

My personal opinion is the gun made him do it.

This kind of reminds me of someones signature. I think it is Kiwi's From what I can remember it says: "If the gun shot the man, can I blame my pencil for spelling errors?"

I'm pretty tired of people blaming video games for things.

As like stated above, I have played my fair share of violent video games, and yet, no murders for me.

I'll give everyone a quick answer to why this happened.

****ty parenting.

Adults and Elders always seem to go to the first thing they can to avoid putting the blame on themselves. If I play a game like Halo (for those of you not knowing, its kinda like a war game) do i want to go out and do that myself? Yeah, for sure, but I don't want to do it with real guns or injuring people. I call up some friends and play paintball. Parenting is what has made me realize the difference between games and reality.

I still fail to understand why people can't grasp this. Its truly amazing.
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    Yep: next time do it with a couple shots of Gentleman Jack in your belly and a beer in your hand (after all, a beer in the hand is worth 5 in the fridge) and you'll have a hell of a lot more fun!

Edit to add: Ya know, I played DOOM when it first came out like...15 years ago or somewhere thereabouts... and to this very day, I still wonder if a chainsaw to the face is the best method to kill a demon...
    Yes that was a very good question. I liked the Hand-of-God weapon on "The Rise of the Triad" myself.

About the ETOH...I prefer Yukon Jack and a few Dead Guy Ales.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Quote Originally Posted by emt161 View Post
    My personal opinion is the gun made him do it.
    Nah. Just remember that classic and inescapable truth:

Guns don't kill people: Bullets kill people.

"Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Quote Originally Posted by FDAIC485 View Post
    About the ETOH...I prefer Yukon Jack and a few Dead Guy Ales.
    Can't drink Yukon anymore. Too many flashbacks to my early drinking days at UConn...

But Dead Guy Ale, now you're talking. I finally found a local package store that stocks it along with a really good selection of other micro-brews. Life is good.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

I have yet to hear any articles talking about how the video game "Firefighter F.D.18" for Playstation 2 has Made kids want to become firefighters and help save lives.

after all, Video games change kids lives right?

Ugh... this is such a hot topic with me for some reason...

Yes, we all can understand Video Games influence people, they're supposed to. If they're not, its probably a terrible game.

Playing Call of Duty, or Halo, or Doom makes me want to go out and play paintball.

Playing Madden makes me want to play football.

Playing Need for Speed makes me want to go drive somewhere.

Does all this make me a threat to society?
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

Quote Originally Posted by OlieCan View Post

Playing Call of Duty, or Halo, or Doom makes me want to go out and play paintball.
    There is nothing better than bunkering some trash-talking mutt.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Quote Originally Posted by t0asty View Post
    This kind of reminds me of someones signature. I think it is Kiwi's From what I can remember it says: "If the gun shot the man, can I blame my pencil for spelling errors?"
    That would have been in Pfire's signature.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by t0asty View Post
    I missed that one. The quote was freakin awesome.....

That's up there with blaming spoons for making someone fat.

-J. Cantrell

AH thanks for the correction MalahatTwo7. And I don't think it was the spoon. Maybe the spork!

Quote Originally Posted by the1141man View Post
    Ya know, I played DOOM when it first came out like...15 years ago or somewhere thereabouts... and to this very day, I still wonder if a chainsaw to the face is the best method to kill a demon...
    Why yes... yes it is! Err... at least the most gratifying.

IDKFA
    IDDQD
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by FDAIC485 View Post
    There is nothing better than bunkering some trash-talking mutt.
    HAHAHA.......you've got that right!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information