Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FH Mag/.com Contributor

Exclamation Clarification for Vehicle Applicants

Just heard back from DHS on this: under the vehicle category where you report how much of your budget goes for vehicle purchases that is ONLY capital savings. It is NOT the % of your budget going to debt for existing vehicles, it is money you're putting away.

Oh, and be prepared to prove it if you think dropping that amount will help beat the computer.

Onward....
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

If you're going after a pumper/tanker to replace a pumper and a tanker, then in your drop down list, would you select type I, type II, or type IV engine under the tanker listings? Or what would you select...not sure on the difference classifications.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Hafta dig for that one. Don't have any open truck apps so I can't get to the screen without having the rest of the app filled out. If there's no pumper-tanker choice then it's tanker. It will get lumped in with your engines if it's got a pump 750gpm or bigger for argument's sake.

Forum Member

So, am I to assume if we are going to go after a rescue boat that is over 13' long, we are to do it under vehicle accustion???

MembersZone Subscriber

That's correct a boat 13" or less is equipment, greater than 13' a vehicle application.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    That's correct a boat 13" or less is equipment, greater than 13' a vehicle application.
    What about boats between 13" and 13'?????

Rare to catch onebugle with a typo!! Carpe Diem!!!

earl

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Are the carpe running now? I thought it was trout season.

Great, y'all got me thinking about boats and fishing. No time to daydream, gotta type, gotta type.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Greenacres2 View Post
    What about boats between 13" and 13'?????

Rare to catch onebugle with a typo!! Carpe Diem!!!

earl

I must have been thinking about the Minnow that got away......or was it the 3 hour tour.

Another reason to have someone proof read, before hitting submit.

A friend told me that he caught a Red Snapper in a southern Indiana creek. I thought that it was just another fish story. He finally admitted that he thought that it was a Red Snapper, but that it turned out to be a Carp with high blood pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Not2L84U2 View Post
    If you're going after a pumper/tanker to replace a pumper and a tanker, then in your drop down list, would you select type I, type II, or type IV engine under the tanker listings? Or what would you select...not sure on the difference classifications.
    Still trying to figure out what to select...anyone else have any insight?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Engine: (Pumper, Wagon and Foam-Pumper) an apparatus equipped with a fire pump of at least 750 gpm capacity, water tank with a minimum of 300 gallons. The apparatus must be manufactured and equipped in accordance with NFPA Standard 1901. Variations include:

Tanker: (Tender, Tanker) a vehicle designed to transport large quantities of water to fires in areas without an adequate and reliable public water system. Tank sizes are normally 1000 gallons or greater with a pump with less than 750 gpm capacity and the vehicle must be manufactured and equipped in accordance with NFPA Standard 1901 for tanker. The vehicle may or may not be equipped with a fire pump.

Looks like it depends on which section of the standard it meets, and if both then you can choose pumper or tanker. The Type 1-3 under tanker is for wildland tankers. If you click the Help link off to the right it gives the pop-up window with the explanattions of each type. Think that's the clearest I've ever seen the wildland pumper and tanker types explained. Copying that into a Word doc for future reference.

Thanks Brian! I swear I looked for a help link and I've been sitting here all morning reading the PG guidance (only half way through...) I must have just over looked it. Thanks again for the clarification...definitely don't want to apply for a wildland tanker.

Forum Member

Default ???

How do I state that my department doesn't put any money away towards a truck but the city does have a truck/equipment fund? Just list it in my narrative under the city budget. Thanks

FH Mag/.com Contributor

If the city buys your trucks and it's not part of the FD budget on the books showing that it goes to the FD then the statistic piece is 0% and correct, mention it in your narrative that they buy them.

If the city budget for the FD shows a capital fund then it will need to be in both spots.

Forum Member

Default Questions on the Appartuas end.

Okay, I have had some excellent luck with the operations and equipment end in the last two years and this year plan to submit a vehicle application but I have a few big questions still to tackle.

First Question:
    In a rural community what has the highest priority Pumper or Tanker, and what are the price limits ?

Second Question:
    Is it better to ask for a new pumper to expand your mission area or to replace an existing piece that demonstrates an obvious safety hazard (i.e. Open cab with no seat belts and hydraulic brakes) I have heard before that the have nots get funded before the replacements ?

Third Question:
    What would be good points to include in the narrative, I have already read a lot of the NFPA Annex D and NFPA 1901 codes and found several good points for firefighter safety.

Fourth Question:
    If your department does not set aside money to replace apparatus over time. Do you have a vehicle replacement expense of 0%

Any help in any of these areas would be greatly appreciated. -Robert
    Last edited by Station32; 04-04-2007 at 11:21 AM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

#1 pumper normally but depends on your situation. People that have higher statistical needs for tankers will outscore some pumper apps.

#2 Replacement

#3 On the right track

#4 Correct

Forum Member

Default First time Quick Attack/Brush vehicle ?

We are going to try for a first time Quick Attack/Brush/Light Duty Rescue vehicle. Is it better to say First Time for a new mission or First Time for excisting missions ? Any other helpful hints or ideas ?
    Jeff

FH Mag/.com Contributor

If you have a vehicle(s) that does any of the functions this truck will then it's a replacement. Even if it has more features, that just goes to the cost-benefit of replacing the other unit.

Forum Member

Not replacing any trucks with this. Have 1 pumper,1 tanker and 1 Heavy Rescue truck. Will be adding this to our departments vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Station32 View Post

Fourth Question:
    If your department does not set aside money to replace apparatus over time. Do you have a vehicle replacement expense of 0%
    Quote Originally Posted by BC79er View Post

#4 Correct
    OK Brian, help me understand. The beginning of this thread said that if you put 0%, you'd better have a bulletproof argument (not verbatim). I took that as to say put something other than zero to show good faith effort into trying to replace. Our department barely has enough to pay day to day, let alone replacement of trucks.

So, my original battleplan was to say zero and really sell it in the narrative. Should I switch to a different course of action or remain?
    BAClair

Thread Information