Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Best bachelors major?

I am looking to get my bachelors degree through an online school. My question is what would be the most appropriate degree to get? I am currently a Firefighter and do not see myself ever going any higher than the rank of Captain.

I currently have my AS in Fire Service Technology. The program I was looking at was from the University of Phoenix with a Bachelors in Public Administration.

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    I am looking to get my bachelors degree through an online school. My question is what would be the most appropriate degree to get? I am currently a Firefighter and do not see myself ever going any higher than the rank of Captain.

I currently have my AS in Fire Service Technology. The program I was looking at was from the University of Phoenix with a Bachelors in Public Administration.
    Make sure your online school is acreditted and recognized as a valid institution. When our department started giving an educational incentive a lot of folks signed up at the Osma College of Obscure Knowledge only to find out the diploma was barely worth the cost of the paper. Some spent several thousand dollars only to find out they wouldn't be getting the incentive bonus.

Then find the major within that school that interests you.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

University of Phoenix is regionally accredited. Most fortune 500 companys send there employees to this school. It is currently the largest online school.

Thanks for the heads up though. I have heard of the same things happening. The horror stories of paper mills.

MembersZone Subscriber KevinFFVFD's Avatar

i just signed up with Columbia Southern University to get my BS in Fire Science and i believe they are nationally accredited. they are also the cheepest of the online schools to i think. they cost about $555.00 per class

Forum Member

If you go to the National Fire Academy site, there is a listing of online fire degrees.

http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/nfa/higher_e...e/college.shtm

MembersZone Subscriber

Consider a major in Fire Protection Engineering. This degree program is offered online by two major, fully-accredited schools: Worcester Poly Tech and the University of Maryland.

A fellow brother on my shift is taking a BA program in Fire Administration through Cogswell College who is sponsored by the National Fire Academy. Do you think that would be a better degree than one in just Public Administration?

I would think so since it is specifically related to the fire service but I would just like to keep hearing your opinions.

Thanks for the replies so far.

A fellow brother on my shift is taking a BA program in Fire Administration through Cogswell College who is sponsored by the National Fire Academy. Do you think that would be a better degree than one in just Public Administration?
    I would think so since it is specifically related to the fire service but I would just like to keep hearing your opinions.
    Thanks for the replies so far.
    Depends on what you plan to do with it. You stated you don't anticipate going beyond Capt at your Dept, so are you going looking for a Chief's job elsewhere to supplement your retirement? If thats the case, the Cogswell program 'may' be better.

I'm working on a degree in Public Safety Leadership. I considered public admin or business, but the PSL program had a more interesting curriculum and an easier schedule-its geared for cops and firemen, so it holds two sections of each class to accomodate the shift work. I also came to the conclusion that, no matter what I do when I retire, my 25 years experience as a Firefighter will be obvious. The degree will show that I have some intellectual capacity and willingness to learn. I don't believe that a degree in something unrelated or peripheral to your career will help you in the next job-who wants a 50 year old with a degree in something that he's never done outside of school? I figure I'll be better off finding something that values my experience in the military and the fire service.

MembersZone Subscriber

I completed the Degrees at a Distance program through the NFA. Ended up with Bachelor's in Fire Prevention Technology with Minor in Fire Administration. Took it through Western Illinois University.

Wittmer
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm going to school for Structural Engineering. It applies to the fire service as well as civilian careers. If I become a career FF after school I'll be able to look forward to a decent job after I retire from the fire service. I was thinking about doing fire science but this seems much more practical in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    Depends on what you plan to do with it. You stated you don't anticipate going beyond Capt at your Dept, so are you going looking for a Chief's job elsewhere to supplement your retirement? If thats the case, the Cogswell program 'may' be better.

I'm working on a degree in Public Safety Leadership. I considered public admin or business, but the PSL program had a more interesting curriculum and an easier schedule-its geared for cops and firemen, so it holds two sections of each class to accomodate the shift work. I also came to the conclusion that, no matter what I do when I retire, my 25 years experience as a Firefighter will be obvious. The degree will show that I have some intellectual capacity and willingness to learn. I don't believe that a degree in something unrelated or peripheral to your career will help you in the next job-who wants a 50 year old with a degree in something that he's never done outside of school? I figure I'll be better off finding something that values my experience in the military and the fire service.

So your sayig that the Public Administration degree does not apply?

The thing with Cogswell is that my brother on my shift is currently going through the program and if I have any questions about it he can always help me out. The thing that I don't like is that the classes are anywhere from 10-15 weeks long. The classes in the University of Phoenix are only five weeks long so I could finish the program a lot faster.

What I plan to do is send a transcript to both schools and figure out which school will transfer the most credits from my previous degree.
    Last edited by BKDRAFT; 04-03-2007 at 07:58 PM.

So your sayig that the Public Administration degree does not apply?
    Not at all, just that it is broader subject and more applicable to other than fire employment. What I meant was, if your only goal is to use the degree to become a Chief or other fire service professional, the more technical degree might be the way to go.

Thumbs up

I understand. Thanks for the input.

MembersZone Subscriber

http://firescience.eku.edu/lp/

EKU has a bachelors degree online now. Theres actually a banner ad running on the page for it as I type.

I am trying to find out the opinion of the best bachelors degree to get. Example Fire Administration, Public Administration, etc. Appreciate the link though.

Thread Information