Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Urban Tanker Special Call

Just an interesting tidbit

http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dl...ENEWS/70402009

Worcester had a major break of the junction of multiple water lines at Washington Square (for those who have been to the Warehouse site, it's about 500' northwest across the highway, in front of Union Station)

Within 1,500' of the break is everything from high-rises to a hospital to abandoned factories.

They special called in four large tankers from the suburbs (Auburn, Oxford, Leicester, and Paxton) to standby in the area until water pressure was restored.

Forum Member

It happens now and then that the big city boys need the rural water guys.

We'll get called 2-3 times a year into the city here for a tanker on brush fires in areas where there are no hydrants or a large vehicle fire on the interstate.

Shreveport does the same thing, including airport calls where they utilize 2 of the primarily vollie fire districts for tankers.

Same here. If a large water main break occurs and shuts a whole section of a city, I don't care who you are.. you're no good without water.

The city residents look at the trucks a little funny.... I think they think a fuel truck is following the engine?!?

Forum Member

It's also interesting when the city boys have a call outside the hydrant district. Watching them try to remember how to hook up hard suction and actually draft water from a pond or stream is entertaining.
    Remember, it IS as bad as you think and they ARE out to get you!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim917 View Post
    Watching them try to remember how to hook up hard suction and actually draft water from a pond or stream is entertaining.
    No kidding. I would hate to see the FDs around here try and set up a draft. Then again, we would first have to find some hard suction.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

MembersZone Subscriber

they did something like that in cleveland a few years ago with the big blackout that blanketed the northeast. I believe it was an all- ohio call for anyone to send tankers if they could to help supply water to cleveland, I am sure someone could help me out with info on that as I had only gotten a few stories about it.

Forum Member

Last October,when a Church and several other buildings burned downtown,we had just that scene when several rigs needed refuelling since the job took so long to deal with.There were a few people getting on the news wondering why they didn't just go to the gas station....
    On the original topic,my old department's district was well hydranted but we still practiced with a neighboring county's tanker crews.As someone else said,there will be a time when you have broken firemains,so you'd better have an alternate plan to deal with that problem.
    Using two 2 1/2" hoses with quick disconnect fittings from the hydrant,they could keep up with our two front line pumpers when they were going full out on the deck guns(1500 gpm each).The practice they did shows in situations where they are really needed.

Quote Originally Posted by FFTrainer View Post
    The city residents look at the trucks a little funny.... I think they think a fuel truck is following the engine?!?
    Last edited by doughesson; 04-05-2007 at 12:08 PM.

Atleast these fire departments can realize when they need to call for help or possible help. Having a good water supply can make or break the fireground operation.

Forum Member

Unhappy Sent to the prison

Jersey City, NJ did a few years back. The replacement of a major valve required the shutdown of the city’s water system. Suburban volunteer FD tankers were assigned to run with the big city guys. When prison riots broke out due to the lack of water, the tankers were sent to supply the prison. Imagine the disappointment. No city “jobs” to talk about. Not helping out a hospital or nursing home that all had no water. Sent to the prison. Never again.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jim917 View Post
    It's also interesting when the city boys have a call outside the hydrant district. Watching them try to remember how to hook up hard suction and actually draft water from a pond or stream is entertaining.

SAME HERE, WATCHING THE BIG CITY FIRE DEPARTMENT GET OUTSIDE OF ITS HYDRANTS IS DOWN RIGHT FUNNY. ITS GREAT WATCHING AN ISO 1 RATED FIRE DEPARTMENT GET OUT DRAFTED BY A WEE LITTLE VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT AT A DROP TANK OPERATION.

Quote Originally Posted by THEKID72737 View Post
    SAME HERE, WATCHING THE BIG CITY FIRE DEPARTMENT GET OUTSIDE OF ITS HYDRANTS IS DOWN RIGHT FUNNY. ITS GREAT WATCHING AN ISO 1 RATED FIRE DEPARTMENT GET OUT DRAFTED BY A WEE LITTLE VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT AT A DROP TANK OPERATION.
    Your comments are a little upsetting. Stuff like this is why there is going to be a wall between the career depts and the volunteer depts. So I'd assume they called you in to assist them correct with water movement?? Atleast they called and realize when they're in need of help from another dept capable of moving water. And as far as being a career or a volunteer ff it doesn't matter in my book, but comments like this does nothing but fuel the ****ing match between the two.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    We'll get called 2-3 times a year into the city here for a tanker on brush fires in areas where there are no hydrants or a large vehicle fire on the interstate.

Shreveport does the same thing, including airport calls where they utilize 2 of the primarily vollie fire districts for tankers.
    Wow, you guys call in Aircraft for aid, when you loose a hydrant? How do they land? And how do you draft water from there dump gates?

Sorry I am able to amuse myself in the common use of the word Tanker Vs. Tender. Samll minds are easily amused apparently

Forum Member

Just remember Bush, trucks with large water tanks for water supply and called Tankers (at least in New England) predate Aerial Tankers as a proven technology and common terminology by at least 20 years.

Is funny to see the "Tankers" carrying 800-1000 gallons needing tandem rear axles back in the 1920s and 30s in order to carry their loads!

The wildland guys can throw all the glossary tantrums they want, the structural folks properly have dibs on the definition.

Wasn't a tantrum, I was simply bored and looking to stir the pot up a lil. Mind you, I am trying to bridge from one world to the next. But Do you fellers' use Tender as a term at all? Like I said I am going from BushWacker the wildland Oilfeild/ urban interface(very little structure) guy, to a full fledge Pavement pounder. Diffrent worlds.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983 View Post
    No kidding. I would hate to see the FDs around here try and set up a draft. Then again, we would first have to find some hard suction.
    The only drafting we did is during our annual underwriting test which means that you're only see one every few years statistically (depending on how the shifts fall). We still carry the steamer pipes :-)

Forum Member

But Do you fellers' use Tender as a term at all

In my area there is limited use of "Hose Tender" starting in the early 1980s, and even that was not universal -- our Chief refused to use the term for our water supply Engine (1500gpm/700gwt/5000' 5"). Other department in town recently switched from Hose Tender to Engine for theirs. That is an item where tender was adopted from the terminology trying to be "standardized" back then. Another department in the area called there non-pumper hose truck simply a Hose.

Beyond that, I can't think of any use around my region of word "Tender" for the fire service.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    The only drafting we did is during our annual underwriting test which means that you're only see one every few years statistically (depending on how the shifts fall). We still carry the steamer pipes :-)
    Our annual tests are done at the Pierce Contender plant (about an hour from here) and they do the test. The only time our crews get any practice in drafting is when we recert everyone in pump operations and that only happens about every 3 or 4 years.

We do have some hard suction, but its on our oldest pumper that we only use for training. We don't carry it on any of the first-outs or reserves. But I'm pretty sure that old pumper is the only rig around that actually has any.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983 View Post
    Ditto, I would bet the county has four section of the stuff some where in the back of one of the warehouses..... or maybe on the wall of historical stuff at the academy!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dday05 View Post
    Your comments are a little upsetting. Stuff like this is why there is going to be a wall between the career depts and the volunteer depts. So I'd assume they called you in to assist them correct with water movement?? Atleast they called and realize when they're in need of help from another dept capable of moving water. And as far as being a career or a volunteer ff it doesn't matter in my book, but comments like this does nothing but fuel the ****ing match between the two.
    Well put and very good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhacker View Post
    But Do you fellers' use Tender as a term at all?
    We do.................
    My steak in more "tender" than yours
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Thread Information