Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Asthma

Forum Member

Default Asthma

Has anyone every been turned down for employment to Fire Department due to having asthma? This seems to be the recent trend throughout a bunch of departments.

If someone is physically fit to pass all pre-employment medical stations as well as the physical agility should they be allowed to be cleared for fit for duty?

There are a lot of asthma patients out there that nobody would ever know they had it if they didn't say they had it.

I have also heard of members that have been on a department for a number of years that take tests for other places that get turned down for asthma even after they provide information that they have been cleared by their own pulmonary specilist and that they have been doing the job for a long time.

Many departments art using NFPA 1582 as as guide for medical standards for new hires. Under 1582 - 2000, asthma is a "Category B Medical Condition" and generally considered not suitable for training or emergency operations.

You may be out of luck.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Default Asthma

Thanks for the info. I was aware of the NFPA standard. Its just amazing how they put stuff like that into catagories based on what they think. There are people out there that train harder then a lot of people and can go beyond the expectations.

MembersZone Subscriber

Strengthening your lungs significantly may decrease/"cure" your asthma, depending on what triggers it. Also, I know a couple of people that had it when they were young and grew out of it.

What qualifies someone as having asthma and consequently a "Category B Medical Condition"? For example, if you had it in your youth but grew out of it, would you still be considered to have a "Category B Medical Condition"? Or, is it related soley to the existance of asthma attacks as an adult?

Forum Member

I would visit a pulmonologist and be comprehensively tested. Have a complete pulmonary function test, not just the little blow in the tube one they use for your annual. Many people use the term 'asthma' but aren't truely asthmatic. It may be just seasonal allergies or some other condition. Having been in the respiratory care field for 25 years, I've seen a lot of people,doctors included, paint that term with a pretty broad brush.

Thread Information