Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default New Equipment mounting

Hi gang my dept is ordering a new pierce truck and engine. But one of the hot topics around the house is how we will configure the compartments and mount the equipment. Does anybody have any pictures or any input for us? We need some outside opinions.

Thanks,

Ryan Clauson
    FAE
    Rincon Fire Dept
    San Diego Ca

clauson@rinconfire.net

Forum Member

One of the most innovative ideas that I have seen came from a department a few years back. They built a mock-up of the cabinets with plywood. They were then able to see how the cabinet sizes worked and where the equipment could be mounted. After that, it was just a matter of buying the mounting boards/brackets while the truck was being built.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Forum Member

Not to sould as an *********, but did your department configure where the equipment you have is going to go on the new peice before you ordered it. I would be tempted to believe that, that is the case for the majority of units oredered.

But in any case, congratulations on the new rig. Also, there are several mounting systems out there that are available to use for portable equipment. The thing that you need to know is, what equipment is going to be carried on the rig, the dimensions of the compartments and the dimensions of the equipment being carried. Then break down where you want the equipment to be stored IE; what compartment, and how do you want it to be mounted.

I know that we had x amount of equipment that we carried on the previous rig, and we were going to carry x amount of more or like equipment on the new rig. We configured the compartments as to our specifications for where we wanted equipment stored and how we wanted to access it, measured it and compared the sizes of available compartments, and walla, easily accesible mounted equipment that does not fall out, nor does it roll around in the compartment.

Probably does not help much..

STILL STANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah I just needed to find out if there was any systems for mounting some of the equipment that you found usefull. And thanks for your input and no you did not sound like an *********. Just wanted to get some input or find out if there was any inovative new mounting ideas for anythin from amkus tools to hand tools to brass.

Thanks again

Forum Member

Check out PAC mounting, they have a nice selection of tools that we have used in the past from anything from nozzles to extrication tools. They are not the cheapest but we never have had a problem with them on the last two engines.

Then there was another one that we have also used sparingly for adapter mounting that was really made from poly materials. These also worked well and were pretty cheap, but for the life of me I can not remember the name tonight. Pretty late. I WILL get it for you though.

STILL STANDING!!!!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

A neighboring department just got a new engine a few weeks ago and they had one idea that was so simple it made me go "Duh! Why didn't I think of that?" In the engineer's compartment (closest to the pump panel), they had installed one of those Craftsman-type tool boxes...you know, the kind with the drawers that pull out? So all the operator's stuff (fittings, adapters, small hand tools, etc.) are all in drawers like tools in a mechanic's shop. Very neat, very organized, good use of available space...I'm thinking of getting one for our first-out engine.

Also, on our new rescue truck, we had a tall slide-out board installed for mounting long hand tools (Halligans, axes, pry bars and whatnot). This also maximizes space and keeps things organized.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

To piggy-back off what firepiper1 posted.... Whenever we had a new apparatus out for bid, we would build one large plywood box that covered the dimensions of the largest compartments (LxWxH) from each bidder. We would then use masking tape to mark off each compartment, one at a time from the specs to make sure we could fit everything in. This was really helpful, as some manufactures would vary the compartment sizes slightly. After we had a winning bidder, we would go back to the box and place our equipment inside, and photograph the "compartments". This made mounting of the equipment after delivery a breeze, since we would have pictures of how and where each tool would be mounted.

Iluv4201

Default Tool Mounting

We just received a new Pierce Arrow XT HDRP. All shelves are slide out or slide out tilt down trays. In a variety of trays we had poly inserts made up to our specification to hold a variety of tools. This eliminated the purchase of multiple tool holders that needed to be mounted. We did have some walls finished with Pac Trac and Pac Dual Trac http://www.pactoolmounts.com/ slide out and swing out tool boards. We also have the luxury of having Pit Pal Products http://www.pitpal.com/ located in our town. They are good at custom manufacturing anything we need. The poly trays work real well as the tools can be removed, the tray lifted out, and then easily cleaned with soap and hose. Another company we use some products from is Sensible Products http://www.sensible-products.com/.

Forum Member

Default Excel Frms for equipment

If you go to the FAMA web site http://www.fama.org/ and click on the FAMA
    Equipment Weight & Cube Calculator link there are handy Excel sheets that let you see the size and weight of just about anything you can put on a fire truck except a case of beer. It allows you to put in how many of each you want to put on the truck and will total the weight of the equipment and also give you the cubic inches needed for what you select.

MembersZone Subscriber

We also used the pac mounts. Wish we had had the boards (kinda like pegboard) that the mounts bolt to installed. Also used sensible products. When the ladder arrives in a few months anything that needs mounted will probably be mounted with one of the above two products.
    IACOJ - Senior Jake

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

Sensible products will mount things for you in there shop in Ohio. Very beneficial to have it done professionally.

Thread Information