MembersZone Subscriber

Default Station Generator

I am working on our 2007 application and our department was going to apply for a new generator for one of our stations.
    The question I have is since we are a volunteer fire department, we do not man the station 24/7. Because the station is not manned 24/7 does this put us at a disadvantage in the application review process. In our situation the generator is housed at Station 2. There is a radio tower there that has on it our radios, our county dispatch center, the town public works dept, and the ambulance. The generator that is there is over 30 years old and the parts are no longer available for it.
    I have heard that most items being requested under Facilty Modifications the requirement is that the station has to be staffed 24/7. I was not sure if this applies to station generators.

Any thoughts or help on this would be great.

MembersZone Subscriber

Per the PG:

The frequency of use would have a direct bearing on the benefits to be derived from grant funds. In addition, the frequency and duration of a facility’s occupancy have a direct relationship to the benefits to be realized from funding in this activity. As such, facilities occupied or otherwise in use, 24-hours-per-day, and 7-days-per-week will receive the highest competitive rating. Facilities used less than full time will receive lower consideration.
    Facilities used only occasionally, or on an irregular or part-time basis, will receive lowest consideration. Requests involving facilities that have sleeping quarters will receive a higher competitive rating.
    A station that is staffed 24/7 will have recieve the highest consideration vs. departments that aren't. This doesn't mean that it won't be funded. The number of incidents, other uses (such as meetings, training, rentals, public access for permits etc.) would help show that the facility is used on a regular basis. Supporting your communications equipment is a plus since without it leaves firefighters and the community at risk.

If the generator is your highest priority, then go for it. There are other avenues available such as surplus equipment through the feds that can provide a generator.
    Last edited by onebugle; 04-03-2007 at 07:17 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by onebugle View Post
    If the generator is your highest priority, then go for it. There are other avenues available such as surplus equipment through the feds that can provide a generator.

Use the search on generator you'll find many threads.

Forum Member

We are not manned 24/7 and were awarded a grant for generators in 2006. We do use the building often for community groups to meet and that was spelled out in the narrative.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Bones
    Can you send me a copy of your narrative for your generator, if you don't mind. Trying to nail down my narrative. You can send it to me via my email on my profile. I appreciate it, thanks Mark

Forum Member

On it's way.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Banned

Our firehouse is not manned 24/7 either. It does house other municapal offices. We were funded in 2005 for our generator.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    Our firehouse is not manned 24/7 either. It does house other municapal offices. We were funded in 2005 for our generator.
    I was told that for any facility modifications that the preference is a station that is manned 24/7. That is why I am trying to get some feedback from past grant awardees.

Forum Member

preference - yes. But it's not a requirement. Just gives you a little more "points" in the peer reviewers mind.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bones
    Can you send me a copy of your narrative for your generator also, Trying to nail down my narrative. You can send it to me via my email on my profile. I appreciate it, thanks Steve

Forum Member

Your profile is not active so I can't get the email address.

MembersZone Subscriber

Bones,

I sent you a e-mail so hopefully you will have my return. Thanks much!

Steve

Forum Member

Wink Station Generator

Looking for narratives for Station GEN's. Any help please e-mail!!! THANK YOU!

Forum Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cfd210 View Post
    Looking for narratives for Station GEN's. Any help please e-mail!!! THANK YOU!
    I ment to post the email address for Station GEN. narratives. Thank You! crooksvillefd@rrohio.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Are their any regulatory requirements for having a station backup electrical generator? (OSHA, NFPA etc.)

If anyone is willing to share a narrative regarding station generators, please send it to scobb@willingtonfire.org

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

As far as OSHA not that I know of. My primary job is OSHA Compliance. I don't think NFPA gets that specific either. GreenAcres?

Thread Information