MembersZone Subscriber

Default Info on Pierce "PUC" ?

Does anyone know anything about the Pierce "Puc" that is supposed to be released on April 19th?

Let's talk fire trucks!

Here are some of the guesses so far: "New Pierce?"

Forum Member

It is something that will make you or look It is truly a great idea

Forum Member

Piece u crap?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Push Up Costs. (also comes to mind)
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Exclamation Puc

I kinda like the pump under cab. Who knows though. hmmmmmmm
    I cant have a Velocity or Impel cause they are too wide.so......
    The new rear mount pumper is working out very well though. Daytime Jaws call with 2 guys were done with extrication before the second due arrived on scene

Forum Member

Knowing firefighters, PUC will turn into PUKE real quick.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    Piece u crap?
    Is your department not " HAPPY " with there new Pierce aerial ?

Forum Member

Default Puc

Hows ur new truck coming NJFF?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyFFII View Post
    Is your department not " HAPPY " with there new Pierce aerial ?
    We are very happy. Was just having some PUC lines come to mind.

Polish Until Clean? (nah, don't like that one)

Priced Under Competitors (that would be noteworthy)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Engine305 View Post
    Hows ur new truck coming NJFF?
    The new Pierce custom cab rescue is not for our house, we have nine fire districts here in Woodbridge Township. Fire district # 8 will be getting the new rig,the order has been completed for the pre-payment of the chassis cab. Our fire house will have to wait a few years down the road for a new or refurbed tower ladder maybe on a new Pierce chassis " Arrow XT". The board of fire commissioners feel that there is plenty of life left in our Mack Aerialscope at this time.It was put in service in 1986 and is in very good condition, the only problem is the open cab jump seats and a under powered mack 285hp motor with a 5 speed man trans. The board likes to keep apparatus in service for 25 years before replacing them,and also the funding amount to be raised by " TAXATION " which is a dirty word here in New Jersey!...
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 07-20-2007 at 10:42 AM.

Forum Member

FD near me is fighting to replace their Sutphen. Getting the same thing from their town..."it still runs ok to us". Apparently, the FD has not been telling the town what condition the truck is truly in, until now when it needs to be funded.

MembersZone Subscriber

Could it look something like this?

MembersZone Subscriber

Now aren't those interesting looking!!!! I've never seen anything like that.

So.....if you're in a cold climate w/messy winters....don't you think everything would be covered in crap when you got to the scene if you were driving around in winter?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by oaattx934 View Post
    Could it look something like this?

Who makes these rigs? Very cool and interesting.

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe Westates did them and called them something like "intracab" pumpers.

Most popular out west, if I recall correctly.

The more I think about this pump under cab idea, I'm going to bet this isn't the new Pierce thing. I think the 2007 EPA emissions stuff (and the stuff coming for the next rounds of emission reductions) requires so much additional cooling that you wouldn't dare interfere with that on a cab over rig.

Remember, the big reason you see the Impel and Velocity cabs is the cooling challenges Pierce couldn't overcome with the previous breed of chassis, with the exception of the Quantum and Arrow XT. I'm willing to bet the latest revision of the Quantum and the XT design had EPA requirements in mind when they were engineered.

Just my speculation. I'll wandering around the show floor in Indy looking at everything just as much as everyone else is.
    Last edited by npfd801; 04-12-2007 at 09:55 PM.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter1244 View Post
    Now aren't those interesting looking!!!! I've never seen anything like that.

So.....if you're in a cold climate w/messy winters....don't you think everything would be covered in crap when you got to the scene if you were driving around in winter?
    Deparments in my area use to put old turnout coats on their front mounts during the winter months. This would keep the cold wind and road slush off the pump somewhat. 500gpm front mounts with two 2-1/2" discharges, 500 gal tanks chevrolet chassis.

Those were fun times.

MembersZone Subscriber

npfd801 hit it on the head.

To my knowledge, none of the major manufacturers are producing front mount pumps such as this, and now with the '07 emission standards, I doubt it will ever be considered in the future.

Of the departments that I have known that ran with front mount engines, all have replaced them with more conventional (side or top mount) configurations when it came time for new apparatus.

Another disadvantage to this arrangement is when you are unfortunate enough to have a front end collision with something. The damage to the pump can be pretty expensive.
    What if the hokey pokey IS what it's all about?

Apparatus Operator
    Salem Fire Department
    IAFF Local 314

Forum Member

I can't believe those don't have serious overheating problems.

MembersZone Subscriber

Could something like the apparatus shown in this thread with the front mounted pump under the cab be done and meet the EPA standards with a mid-mount or rear-mount engine?

Forum Member

I've heard rumors, and from what I've heard, it has something to do with the pumper body itself.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, I don't really like playing into the Pierce marketing hype, but I would assume that we're looking at a "reflection" of it on Page 1-2 in this month's FHM (Firehouse Magazine - come on, guys). Based on the picture, it looks sort of like a very low-mounted hydraulic or PTO pump mounted under the rear portion of the cab and the front of the body. Panel might be in the cab.

Who cares - we'll find out next week if it's actually anything worth the fuss, and if it's anything remotely original. Any company that has to ask "WHAT'S THE PUC?" in their pre-FDIC advertising is way too big into marketing. The ad is totally aimed at the Koolaid drinkers that are going to say "Oh my god, guys, WHAT'S THE PUC!?! I can't wait to see what Pierce is coming out with now!!!" The idea of the apparatus reflection is neat, but the way they ask the question just irritates me. "I don't know - you designed it - you tell me. I'm not a Koolaide drinker, so simply asking me what the PUC is does not get me excited."

The Rosenbauer aerials ad isn't nearly so annoying, and I think it is acutally tastefully done (although RBA's www.insertstupidphrasehere.com ads were just plain dumb and annoying - can't take any product advertised in that manner seriously). The more I think about it, the more I like RBA's ad layout as opposed to Pierce's this month.

MembersZone Subscriber

I need to dig up a new Firehouse mag. I haven't seen any of the ads yet... Now you've got me curious.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber

Until you mentioned it, didn't even notice the reflection Definately looks to be midmounted under cab/body, different. Fits into my original thought of new body and new pump which I posted in the other thread, guess we'll see for sure in a week. Speaking of new releases, anyone heard anything else to be released at FDIC other than EONE's new models and the 07 Rosenbauer Tech drives???
    Last edited by todd3603; 04-13-2007 at 04:19 PM.

Forum Member

Default April or May?

Blitzsolo,

When you say "this months" Firehouse magazine. Do you mean April 2007 or have you already received May 2007. Thank you, I'm stilling trying to find my May issue.

Thread Information