Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default What do you think?

So, I'm just getting ready to start a 7 page term paper (that is due in 10 1/2 hrs) for my Criminal Justice class. The topic of my paper is the Probation and Parole Systems. What I am curios about is, what do you guys think can be done to help fix the problems that face these two systems?

I believe that if we can fix these systems then it will also help aleviate the overcrowding prison problem as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tfdping1018 View Post
    So, I'm just getting ready to start a 7 page term paper (that is due in 10 1/2 hrs) for my Criminal Justice class. The topic of my paper is the Probation and Parole Systems. What I am curios about is, what do you guys think can be done to help fix the problems that face these two systems?

I believe that if we can fix these systems then it will also help aleviate the overcrowding prison problem as well.

What I think wont make 7 pages. Do the crime, do the time. ALL of it. And I dont give a rats a** about over-crowded prisions. Its not meant to be the Hilton.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

The probation and parole system in American Criminal Justice is a scapegoat. It creates an exit strategy for those overcrowded prisons and facilities that so many complain about. If I remember correctly, a good percentage of inmates are in on an offense while on probation. Proving that it's not effective, or not being enforced properly. You could also argue that once a criminal always a criminal. But that could be countered by going back to the problems with prisons, but that's a different term paper.

God I miss being a CRJ major.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Quote Originally Posted by tfdping1018 View Post

Nothing like waiting until the last minute...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Nothing like waiting until the last minute...
    I was just thinking the same thing.

First of all, probation and parole are two very, very different things. Probation is a sentence. Parole is a reward for succefully completing a portion of the imposed prison sentence. Probation is designed (but not always used) as a sentence for non-violent, non-repeat offenders. An argument can be made that someone who commits fraud or is convicted of possession of small amounts of narcotics are not candidtaes for a prison sentence. If you look at the goal of the penal system being rehabilitation, this argument makes sense.

Parole is designed to proide time for a felon who has succesfully completed a portion of his sentence to transition back into society. They are closely monitored and are usually forced to get a job, get an educaiton and stayclear of persons who are known felons. There are also a number of other conditions that can be imposed.

Both parole and probation people can be put in prison if they violate the terms of the parole or probation.

Since you didn't ID what you think the problems are (it IS your class, you know), I don't know how else to address this.

One more thing. Keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of people who are granted parole and probation complete it succesfully. It is an essential tool for the criminal justice system.

Thread Information