Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 161
  1. #61
    Forum Member DaSharkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    4,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB View Post
    You just don't get it. That recruit had his azz chewed because he hesitated and in combat while going hand to hand...he would be dead. I knock an enemy down, I am not going to stop and move on just to be shot in the back....I am going to cave his skull in, then move on.
    Now Vinnie, stop being full of blood lust. You know that the peace, love, dope crowd does not like it.

    You should endeavour to make this enemy your friend because he can be reformed. He can be turned around from the radical mullah's sick, twisted, mangled believer into your best friend.

    Just as the Rikusentai on Bouganville or Iwo were to be loved by the Marine before he was bayoneted. Peace, Love, Dope Vinnie. Peace, Love, Dope.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

    The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

    "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

    www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org


  2. #62
    Forum Member OlieCan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    McHenry
    Posts
    327

    Default

    I still don't know why marine has to be capitalized...

    I don't always see firefighter or police officer capitalized either. I never see janitor or customer service capitalized.

    I still don't understand how a marine is any better than anyone else.
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

  3. #63
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    While I respect the Canadians, it is a product of what socialism does to ones' mind.

    Just look at what it has done to Europe.

    And none of this is meant to offend any Canadians on these boards. I don't apologize for how I feel.

    I agree 100%.

  4. #64
    MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    2,007

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OlieCan View Post
    I still don't understand how a marine is any better than anyone else.
    That fact is painfully obvious. You don't understand.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

  5. #65
    Forum Member OlieCan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    McHenry
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    That fact is painfully obvious. You don't understand.

    I suppose you're right, I don't understand.

    I understand how a marine would feel proud about their job, as I do in the fire department, but I still don't consider myself better than anyone else, like it seems the marines do...
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

  6. #66
    Truckie SPFDRum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 1999
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    2,514

    Default

    but I still don't consider myself better than anyone else, like it seems the marines do...
    Nor will you, it is obvious you have never taken a challenge that may be just a little more than you can accomplish on your own. But through an extra effort on your part and team work you achieve. Much like being on a title winning team, or in the case of the Marines, finishing the Crucible and being awarded the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor like so many great men before. You claim you are proud, fine. But until you sacrifice to achieve, you won't know honor or understand the honor afforded those that came before you.
    Until you grow up and learn what it's like to give a 110% in time, effort, and dedication, you will be nothing more than average.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

  7. #67
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Nor will you, it is obvious you have never taken a challenge that may be just a little more than you can accomplish on your own. But through an extra effort on your part and team work you achieve. Much like being on a title winning team, or in the case of the Marines, finishing the Crucible and being awarded the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor like so many great men before. You claim you are proud, fine. But until you sacrifice to achieve, you won't know honor or understand the honor afforded those that came before you.
    Until you grow up and learn what it's like to give a 110% in time, effort, and dedication, you will be nothing more than average.
    I'll bet he gives 110% kicking those aliens butts on PlayStation.

  8. #68
    Forum Member OlieCan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    McHenry
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Nor will you, it is obvious you have never taken a challenge that may be just a little more than you can accomplish on your own. But through an extra effort on your part and team work you achieve. Much like being on a title winning team, or in the case of the Marines, finishing the Crucible and being awarded the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor like so many great men before. You claim you are proud, fine. But until you sacrifice to achieve, you won't know honor or understand the honor afforded those that came before you.
    Until you grow up and learn what it's like to give a 110% in time, effort, and dedication, you will be nothing more than average.
    I love how everyone pretends to have any idea of how I have lived my life, and pretend they know anything about me.

    Age has nothing to do with this at all, so no need to tell me to grow up. You know nothing about me, so don't pretend like you do.

    I don't need to tell people Im better than them. I make more money than all of my friends, do I rub their faces in it? No. Do I tell my friend Im better than him because Im a firefighter, and he plans to be a director of movies, and that theres no pride in directing movies? No. Thats stupid.

    Pride and honor are in the eye of the beholder.

    I never said the marines are easy. Its a choice those who join chose to make. They should be proud for completeing something that Im sure is very difficult, and something not many have done, but they don't need to be arrogant ****** and pretend they're better than anyone else. I refuse to ever believe that any marine is better than I am. They simply chose a different life path, and that was their decision. I don't give a $hit if you, or anyone else here thinks differently about me in anyway. I know what I have acomplished in my life so far, and its exactly what I have set out to do. I have a great relationship, and a job that I love. In 5 years time I plan to be a fulltime FF/Paramedic, married to my girlfriend, and having a couple kids. That is exactly what I wanted. I'll be damn proud if I can have all that.

    To tell me that I need to make sacrifices in order to be proud and have honor is rediculouse.
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

  9. #69
    Forum Member OlieCan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    McHenry
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    I'll bet he gives 110% kicking those aliens butts on PlayStation.
    Oh, wow, Im glad we're keeping this discussion mature, and on topic.

    Do you see the irony of making fun of someone for being young and immature, while doing it in a childish way? Or the irony for making fun of someone playing playstation when hes trying to sell it because he never uses it or has time to play?

    Haha. Well done.
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

  10. #70
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OlieCan View Post
    Oh, wow, Im glad we're keeping this discussion mature, and on topic.

    Do you see the irony of making fun of someone for being young and immature, while doing it in a childish way? Or the irony for making fun of someone playing playstation when hes trying to sell it because he never uses it or has time to play?

    Haha. Well done.
    You interpret it as "making fun", while all I am doing is stating painfully obvious facts.

  11. #71
    Forum Member OlieCan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    McHenry
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    You interpret it as "making fun", while all I am doing is stating painfully obvious facts.
    Painfully obvious facts? What, thats Im addicted to video games?

    What would it even matter if I was? How would that change anything at all?

    Am I immature because I am expressing my opinion on internet forum? Am I immature because I am trying to have a discussion, while all you guys can do is make pathetic attempts at trying to shoot me down because Im young and play video games from time to time?

    Well done.
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

  12. #72
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Mi, USA
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Oliecan How many Marines do you know? You act like everyone of us is an arrogant *****! You can kiss my *****! You tell that to The Twichell Family, or the Gober Family or the ten other Marines My Unit lost defending your sorry *****, I'm tired of you running your mouth. I may not be better than anyone else because I decided to serve my country but you make damn sure you realize that Those Marines who gave their lives are better men than anyone of us. Nobody gives a crap about your FF1 AND 2/Paramedic or about your friend who makes movies> This site is all about Firefighters so most people here are Firefighters. Just like me; and I also served my country but that does'nt make me an arrogant ***** does it? One thing you have to realize about Marines is they have a very proud heritage just like the Fire service sorry if that comes of arrogant to you! But until you truly put yourself in that type of environment you just won't get. So do us all a favor and shut your damn Pie holder.

  13. #73
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jstrgs0405 View Post
    Oliecan How many Marines do you know? You act like everyone of us is an arrogant *****! You can kiss my *****! You tell that to The Twichell Family, or the Gober Family or the ten other Marines My Unit lost defending your sorry *****, I'm tired of you running your mouth. I may not be better than anyone else because I decided to serve my country but you make damn sure you realize that Those Marines who gave their lives are better men than anyone of us. Nobody gives a crap about your FF1 AND 2/Paramedic or about your friend who makes movies> This site is all about Firefighters so most people here are Firefighters. Just like me; and I also served my country but that does'nt make me an arrogant ***** does it? One thing you have to realize about Marines is they have a very proud heritage just like the Fire service sorry if that comes of arrogant to you! But until you truly put yourself in that type of environment you just won't get. So do us all a favor and shut your damn Pie holder.

    Absolutely. Thank you for your service, also.

  14. #74
    Forum Member OlieCan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    McHenry
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jstrgs0405 View Post
    Oliecan How many Marines do you know? You act like everyone of us is an arrogant *****! You can kiss my *****! You tell that to The Twichell Family, or the Gober Family or the ten other Marines My Unit lost defending your sorry *****, I'm tired of you running your mouth. I may not be better than anyone else because I decided to serve my country but you make damn sure you realize that Those Marines who gave their lives are better men than anyone of us. Nobody gives a crap about your FF1 AND 2/Paramedic or about your friend who makes movies> This site is all about Firefighters so most people here are Firefighters. Just like me; and I also served my country but that does'nt make me an arrogant ***** does it? One thing you have to realize about Marines is they have a very proud heritage just like the Fire service sorry if that comes of arrogant to you! But until you truly put yourself in that type of environment you just won't get. So do us all a favor and shut your damn Pie holder.

    Well said.

    I agree completely, not all Marines are arrogant ******. I was speaking about the people in this thread saying marines are better and have the most proud title in the world or whatever. I know 2 marines. 1 is a great guy, 1 is kinda an *******. Again, I have nothing wrong with the marine profession in anyway, I simply don't feel they're better than me, thats it.

    I support our military in every way, except most of the people who lead it. I don't agree with the war in Iraq, and I don't plan to get into that because its a whole new argument. I am greatful for the men and women in the armed forces doing what they're doing, they're brave, and they should be proud of what they're doing, but as I said before, I don't feel they're any better of a person than I am. Simply just a different path in life. I feel greatly sorry for their sacrifice, but the comment -"you make damn sure you realize that Those Marines who gave their lives are better men than anyone of us"- Again, I disagree with that. I feel sorry for their loss, but just because they died doesn't mean they're better than any one of us at all. I knew nothing about those people. Im sure you did, and maybe they were all great guys, but unless its someone I personally know, I don't know they are better than me at all.


    I think this basically all started off when (whoever it was) started saying being a marine is the most proud thing in the world or something, and basically saying they're the best thing ever... Whoever stated that, I will say is an arrogant *****. I took comments from others on this board, and took them as if the entier marin corps said them, I apologize for not thinking clearly in that aspect. I withdraw my comment about any marine being an arrogant ***** (unless they are) and I aim it at whoever said that, and also towards George and SPFDRum. They appear to be the arrogant ******.

    Everyone seems to skip over the parts of my posts where I clearly state that I have nothing wrong with marines, and I think their service is great... and they only look at the part that they blow way out of proportion about me saying I don't think they're better than I am. you're taking everything I say, and making it a direct attack on all marines ever, which is clearly not that case. reread any post I make a few times before you go running your mouth.
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

  15. #75
    MembersZone Subscriber RoughRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Oyster Bay, NY
    Posts
    798

    Default

    Sorry Olie

    I understand where youíre coming from as far as your value system and share some of them as well. But...... I never served but I put all who do on a pedestal. If a certain swagger and confidence is the by product of the training so be it. Thank you all who served and especially those serve/ served in combat to keep my butt safe.

    God Bless you all.

    Semper Fi
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

    The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.


    IACOJ PROUD

  16. #76
    Truckie SPFDRum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 1999
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    2,514

    Default

    They appear to be the arrogant ******.
    That's all you have there, junior? I have been called much worse by far better men than you. But it does put the final nail in the coffin concerning your so called maturity level.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

  17. #77
    MembersZone Subscriber JohnVBFD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Norfolk, Va
    Posts
    1,471

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Nor will you, it is obvious you have never taken a challenge that may be just a little more than you can accomplish on your own. But through an extra effort on your part and team work you achieve. Much like being on a title winning team, or in the case of the Marines, finishing the Crucible and being awarded the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor like so many great men before. You claim you are proud, fine. But until you sacrifice to achieve, you won't know honor or understand the honor afforded those that came before you.
    Until you grow up and learn what it's like to give a 110% in time, effort, and dedication, you will be nothing more than average.
    Just pointing out here, that Marines don't have this honor thing as a solo peg. I have no problem with joking around with interservice stereotypes, hell I partake in them. But as an insider, to me Soilder, Sailor, Airman, Marine we are all on the same level and we've all given 110%. I will say that yes, the Navy and Air Force do enlist their greater share of dirtbags, and do a poorer job of weeding them out. I've trained for the possibility of an IA tour with the Navy. I've done my time in security, passing a Cadre course administered by Marines. I laugh and joke about the Navy not being military anymore and it is partly true. But remember, there are service members out there who put out just as much effort as Marines.

    As testimony of this for the 18th anniversary on the 19th of April this year:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1htQA5kCYo

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXwS-Q08f7Q

    http://www.ussiowa.org/turret2/turret2_memorial.htm
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

    Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

    'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

  18. #78
    Forum Member OlieCan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    McHenry
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RoughRider View Post
    Sorry Olie

    I understand where youíre coming from as far as your value system and share some of them as well. But...... I never served but I put all who do on a pedestal. If a certain swagger and confidence is the by product of the training so be it. Thank you all who served and especially those serve/ served in combat to keep my butt safe.

    God Bless you all.

    Semper Fi
    I understand where you are coming from, and I appreciate you responding without attacking me, or talking about how Im young and have played videogames....

    That said, I will agree that there are many marines that deserve the most credit in the word for being totally terrific people, but I disagree that "all" marines, need to be put on a pedistal or be labeled as a better person. Same goes with the army.

    Quick story if anyone wants to read...

    about 2 years ago right as I started dating my Girlfriend I went to walk her outside and give her a kiss before she went home. As she left, I saw a car speed after her. I quicky got in my car and folowed her home, when I got there I saw her ex boyfriend was out of her car yelling at her (this was at like 2am) as I approached he was leaving and I went to talk to her. She told me he was ****ed that she was dating someone else (it was quite some time since they broke up) and that he was going to be waiting at my house to "kick my ***" She insisted that I dont go home. I drove past my street and sure enough he was waiting there. I called my buddy and i crashed at his place for the night.

    Whats the point of this boring story? He was in the military. Im not sure what branch, I think Army... but my point is this... People generally put him on a pedistal because he is a soldier, and he fights for his country. I understand that many soldiers are brave, and great people, but he is not. Hes a total ******* *****, and should not be held on the same grounds as someone who is a great soldier, and great person. I restate my opinion that not all marines, or people in the military are better than I am. Im sure some are. But until I meet them, I won't assume they are.
    Last edited by OlieCan; 04-06-2007 at 11:46 AM.
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

  19. #79
    Forum Member OlieCan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    McHenry
    Posts
    327

    Default

    Basically to sum up my entire point...


    I will not assume any marine, or anyone in the military is any better of a person than I am until I know them. There are too many ****** in any profession to assume everyone in the profession is a great person.

    They should be proud of what they do, assuming they do it well.

    The ability to finish the training to be labeled as a marine, does in no way make you a good person, it simply means you finished the training.

    Actions alone make you who you are, and give you the ability to say you are proud to be a marine (or anything else) and make people honor you.
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

  20. #80
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Flanders, NJ
    Posts
    13,537

    Default

    Isn't it amazing that he refuses to capitalize Marine, but capitalizes Girlfriend? Freudian and speaks volumes.

    He also ran away from a fight.

    This is becoming clearer and clearer.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Survivors of war take fatal risks on roads
    By HeavyRescueTech in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-05-2011, 10:34 AM
  2. Aid and Comfort to the Enemy
    By GeorgeWendtCFI in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 490
    Last Post: 05-06-2006, 02:19 PM
  3. World Of Fire Report: 07-17-05
    By PaulBrown in forum World of Fire Daily Report
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2005, 11:30 PM
  4. Any way you look at it, say no to Kerry
    By mohican in forum The Off Duty Forums
    Replies: 199
    Last Post: 10-04-2004, 06:52 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-05-2004, 09:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts