Truckie

They appear to be the arrogant ******.
    That's all you have there, junior? I have been called much worse by far better men than you. But it does put the final nail in the coffin concerning your so called maturity level.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by SPFDRum View Post
    Nor will you, it is obvious you have never taken a challenge that may be just a little more than you can accomplish on your own. But through an extra effort on your part and team work you achieve. Much like being on a title winning team, or in the case of the Marines, finishing the Crucible and being awarded the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor like so many great men before. You claim you are proud, fine. But until you sacrifice to achieve, you won't know honor or understand the honor afforded those that came before you.
    Until you grow up and learn what it's like to give a 110% in time, effort, and dedication, you will be nothing more than average.
    Just pointing out here, that Marines don't have this honor thing as a solo peg. I have no problem with joking around with interservice stereotypes, hell I partake in them. But as an insider, to me Soilder, Sailor, Airman, Marine we are all on the same level and we've all given 110%. I will say that yes, the Navy and Air Force do enlist their greater share of dirtbags, and do a poorer job of weeding them out. I've trained for the possibility of an IA tour with the Navy. I've done my time in security, passing a Cadre course administered by Marines. I laugh and joke about the Navy not being military anymore and it is partly true. But remember, there are service members out there who put out just as much effort as Marines.

As testimony of this for the 18th anniversary on the 19th of April this year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1htQA5kCYo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXwS-Q08f7Q

http://www.ussiowa.org/turret2/turret2_memorial.htm
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RoughRider View Post
    Sorry Olie

I understand where you’re coming from as far as your value system and share some of them as well. But...... I never served but I put all who do on a pedestal. If a certain swagger and confidence is the by product of the training so be it. Thank you all who served and especially those serve/ served in combat to keep my butt safe.

God Bless you all.

Semper Fi
    I understand where you are coming from, and I appreciate you responding without attacking me, or talking about how Im young and have played videogames....

That said, I will agree that there are many marines that deserve the most credit in the word for being totally terrific people, but I disagree that "all" marines, need to be put on a pedistal or be labeled as a better person. Same goes with the army.

Quick story if anyone wants to read...

about 2 years ago right as I started dating my Girlfriend I went to walk her outside and give her a kiss before she went home. As she left, I saw a car speed after her. I quicky got in my car and folowed her home, when I got there I saw her ex boyfriend was out of her car yelling at her (this was at like 2am) as I approached he was leaving and I went to talk to her. She told me he was ****ed that she was dating someone else (it was quite some time since they broke up) and that he was going to be waiting at my house to "kick my ***" She insisted that I dont go home. I drove past my street and sure enough he was waiting there. I called my buddy and i crashed at his place for the night.

Whats the point of this boring story? He was in the military. Im not sure what branch, I think Army... but my point is this... People generally put him on a pedistal because he is a soldier, and he fights for his country. I understand that many soldiers are brave, and great people, but he is not. Hes a total ******* *****, and should not be held on the same grounds as someone who is a great soldier, and great person. I restate my opinion that not all marines, or people in the military are better than I am. Im sure some are. But until I meet them, I won't assume they are.
    Last edited by OlieCan; 04-06-2007 at 11:46 AM.
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Basically to sum up my entire point...

I will not assume any marine, or anyone in the military is any better of a person than I am until I know them. There are too many ****** in any profession to assume everyone in the profession is a great person.

They should be proud of what they do, assuming they do it well.

The ability to finish the training to be labeled as a marine, does in no way make you a good person, it simply means you finished the training.

Actions alone make you who you are, and give you the ability to say you are proud to be a marine (or anything else) and make people honor you.
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Isn't it amazing that he refuses to capitalize Marine, but capitalizes Girlfriend? Freudian and speaks volumes.

He also ran away from a fight.

This is becoming clearer and clearer.

MembersZone Subscriber

That is a character flaw not indicative of the brave men and women who serve our country.

Do you think this guy represents the fire service?

Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Isn't it amazing that he refuses to capitalize Marine, but capitalizes Girlfriend? Freudian and speaks volumes.

He also ran away from a fight.

This is becoming clearer and clearer.
    capitalizing girlfriend was actually unintentional.

And whats wrong with avoiding a fight? What would it accomplish? One guy standing, and one guy not at the end of the night.

My method was avoid it, and when I return, he will be gone, and everythign is fine.

Why use an axe to open a door when its unlocked?
    Last edited by OlieCan; 04-06-2007 at 11:55 AM.
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by OlieCan View Post
    capitalizing girlfriend was actually unintentional.

And whats wrong with avoiding a fight? What would it accomplish? One guy standing, and one guy not at the end of the night.

My method was avoid it, and when I return, he will be gone, and everythign is fine.

Why use an axe to open a door when its unlocked?
    While discretion might be the better part of valor, sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe in. The bully doesn't always go away.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not sure if this has already been posted, but in the Army I know of a few diffrent post that are taking thier objectors and sending them anyway . when they get there they spend the entire tour burning s***. that is thier only job for an entire year. when they come home they get a less than honorable discharge. when you enlist atleast into the Army and Marines they dont teach you how to shot and clean a weapon for fun. enlisting brings the possibility and to some extent duty of dying regardless of what you personally think

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    While discretion might be the better part of valor, sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe in. The bully doesn't always go away.
    I agree, but in this case, he did. I will avoid conflicts if no good can come out of them. Maybe Im a coward for that, but I think its smart. Had the situation continued, law enforcement would be involved. I don't feel violence is the answer if it can be avoided.

I guess Im a coawrd.
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Ollie If you were to die in a fire tomarrow I would call you a better man than me for giving you life for the greater good even though I think your screwed up in the head. It's a simple matter of respect for those who put themselves second in life and give the ultimate gift of their service; their are certain people out there that we should value and say thank you no matter how they lived even if you disagree. Read the book a (A Gift Of Valor) it might give you some insight on the Marines that serve and how they died and will forever be remembered for their service. These men may not have been best people but they fought with honor and One Marine stood up above them all.

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess Im a coawrd.
    Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jstrgs0405 View Post
    Ollie If you were to die in a fire tomarrow I would call you a better man than me for giving you life for the greater good even though I think your screwed up in the head. It's a simple matter of respect for those who put themselves second in life and give the ultimate gift of their service; their are certain people out there that we should value and say thank you no matter how they lived even if you disagree. Read the book a (A Gift Of Valor) it might give you some insight on the Marines that serve and how they died and will forever be remembered for their service. These men may not have been best people but they fought with honor and One Marine stood up above them all.
    I appreciate that respect, and I understand your point. But does anyone on here get what Im trying to say at all?

Im just sayin not all people in jobs that are viewed as honorable jobs, deserve to be honored.

If my girlfriends ex boyfriend died in Iraq, I would not feel any worse than if some random person in my town died, jsut because he was a soldier. I would actually feel better that it was him, and not someone else, because I personally know he was an *******. He was a skinhead at one point, and involved in several gangs. Perhaps the military is making him a better person, but I can only pass my judgement based off what I know of him. Funny too, because he used to be a cool kid in junior high.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If avoiding a pointless fight, is cowardly, than Im a coward.

Personally, I would call it smart.

I suppose its all how you were raised. Attacking someone with no positive outcome is stupid. I was raised that fighting is wrong. Me and my sister used to fight as children, and we would get yelled at. hitting eachother accomplished nothing except both of us being in pain. I agree that sometimes fighting is needed (like in some military applications) but when it can avoided, I feel it should be avoided.

Its ignorant to fight for no reason.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I guess they missed sending you the memo about Marine Corp Drill Instructors being prohibited from physically abusing recruits during any portion of Basic Training or calling them names other than "Private"or "Private Your Name Here".
    The days of "Gunnery Sergeant Hartman" knocking "Private Pyle's"cover off during close order drill training or telling"Private Snowball" that"they don't serve watermelon and fried chicken in MY mess halls"are so long gone,current movies don't even use that as a plot line.Doing so in real life results in a General Court and other unpleasantries for the offending NCO.
    Every recruit comes out of Basic with all sorts of horror stories and most of them are urban stories that should end with"..and when they got to the girl's house,the bloody hook was hanging from the passenger side door."
    The worst I was ever told was"If I catch you in the Fleet,I'm gonna.."but when I did run into that Chief,he acted like we were good friends since we'd been to the Mediterranean together,though in different ships.
    I was pushed through Navy Basic,even with a broken foot but no one ever hit me or ordered me to kill another Seaman recruit during my two months at Great Lakes.
    Was my expereince unique or do you have other mentions of no physical abuse but high standards from the training cadres that we faced?

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post

I guess I come from a country that chooses other ways too train their members too a high standard, without standing there right in their face and telling them s**t like their going too kill them if they don't get out of their face or calling them every name in the book. Thats a total load of bulls**t that it will make them any better of a soldier if their put under pressure during war times.

MembersZone Subscriber

I appreciate that respect, and I understand your point. But does anyone on here get what Im trying to say at all?

Im just sayin not all people in jobs that are viewed as honorable jobs, deserve to be honored.

If my girlfriends ex boyfriend died in Iraq, I would not feel any worse than if some random person in my town died, jsut because he was a soldier. I would actually feel better that it was him, and not someone else, because I personally know he was an *******. He was a skinhead at one point, and involved in several gangs. Perhaps the military is making him a better person, but I can only pass my judgement based off what I know of him. Funny too, because he used to be a cool kid in junior high.

My grandpappy passed along a piece of advise that I am going to pass along to you....

"When you are in a hole, stop digging."

Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Forum Member

I still don't know why marine has to be capitalized...

I don't always see firefighter or police officer capitalized either. I never see janitor or customer service capitalized.

I still don't understand how a marine is any better than anyone else.
    If there was ONE fire department or one janitorial service you would have a point, but there is onlu ONE United States Marine Corps, and so the term Marine is a proper noun and thus is capitalized. And yes, in general, Marines are better than others.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocVBFDE14 View Post
    My grandpappy passed along a piece of advise that I am going to pass along to you....

"When you are in a hole, stop digging."

I appreciate it, but I don't feel it applies.

So, everyone here agrees...

the title "MARINE" means you are a better person than everyone who is not a marine?

Fiar enough... I suppose this argument is over then.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Since the United States Military does a very good job at screening out Skin Heads, I would say that you are a BS artist, who is only on here trying to make trouble, AKA trolling. So reel in your lines and move on.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    And yes, in general, Marines are better than others.
    IN GENERAL

Ok, even if I don't agree that generally being a marine makes you a better person, you still agree that there are other marines are are not better correct? Since you didn't say "all" I will assume my statement is correct, and thats all I was trying to say all along.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Since the United States Military does a very good job at screening out Skin Heads, I would say that you are a BS artist, who is only on here trying to make trouble, AKA trolling. So reel in your lines and move on.
    Well, they maybe do a good job, but don't get them all.

At the time of enrollment, I don't think he was, but he was at one point durring high school. I don't need to make that **** up to prove he was an *******.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

IN GENERAL

Ok, even if I don't agree that generally being a marine makes you a better person, you still agree that there are other marines are are not better correct? Since you didn't say "all" I will assume my statement is correct, and thats all I was trying to say all along.
    As a group, the Marine Corps is a better group of people than any other group of people, and as a group has shown this to a Greatful nation in many times and places.
    -Big Russ

Forum Member

Well, they maybe do a good job, but don't get them all.

At the time of enrollment, I don't think he was, but he was at one point durring high school. I don't need to make that **** up to prove he was an *******.
    If he was a true skin head, and not just some dumb kid trying to say he was to make himself look tough, he would be found out and not allowed in. A single tattoo alluding to such membership, and they all have such things, would disqualify him. You do not know of what you type so you should move on.
    -Big Russ

Forum Member

As a group, the Marine Corps is a better group of people than any other group of people, and as a group has shown this to a Greatful nation in many times and places.
    Ok, I'll even give you that, but my point remains...

being a Marine, does not make you a good person. Who you are as a person does.

Most Marines probably are, I only know a couple, but not ALL are.

Isn't there a saying that goes something like...

Its not who you are, but how you do it.

I agree with that.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

If he was a true skin head, and not just some dumb kid trying to say he was to make himself look tough, he would be found out and not allowed in. A single tattoo alluding to such membership, and they all have such things, would disqualify him. You do not know of what you type so you should move on.

Ok, well, from what he has said, and i have heard, thats what I got out of it.

He has many different styles in HS. hardcore Punk, Greaser, Skin Head.

dispite if he was a true skinhead or not, I don't really care. My point was he was an *******.
    IACOJ

Thread Information