Thread: Hiring question

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hiring question

does having FF1/FF2/Fire Instructor 1 of which they are all IFSTA/Proboard certified (for what ever that may be worth)and 10+ years of vollie experience (I respond to an average of 200+ calls per year) does that help in applying?

Meaning does it push your name higher in the "list". Give you more points?

I know, that I would still need to attend the hiring departments academy and get "retrained'. But, just wondering if these certs and training will help at all.

Thanks!
    Last edited by WaterbryVTfire; 04-04-2007 at 10:02 AM.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Forum Member

Thumbs up Is there a question??

As one who sits on the other side of the table I'll respond by saying that if I have ten candidates taking my exam and one had your qualifications and the rest do not...I would definately hire you. I'd also have to run a background and if you passed then your in.
    I hope this helps...
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Fire Commissioner
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

"I'd also have to run a background and if you passed then your in."

Commissioner,

If there is a blemish on your background check, does that automatically disqualify you or does it depend on the circumstances, ie: when it happenend, what happened (disorderly conduct, theft, DUI, etc....), misdemeanor or felony... I would find it hard to believe that every last career FF has a perfect record.....I am asking because I have a friend who applied to a career department but has a misdemeanor on his record....any info would help.....I figured you could give a very reliable answer because you sit on the other side of the table......

Forum Member

Default Depends

Every candidate who has had problems has a story to go with the minor infraction. It depends on the severity of it and time since it has happened. We are all responsible for our actions and have to face up to them sooner or later. If you care to e-mail me we can handle this privately.
    I can be reached @ bigragu83860@yahoo.com.

Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Meaning does it push your name higher in the "list". Give you more points?

It depends how you present the package.

The biggest problem I've seen on oral boards with seasoned volunteers and veterans taking entry level or lateral tests is they can't place themselves in the position they are applying for; that of being a snotty nose rookie. They try to hammer the oral board with their credentials thinking the board will just hand them the job. Their oral board's skills are rusty and antiquated. It's hard for them to remember how it was to be a rookie.

This is a delicate balance here. Leave your time and rank in your locker. You must be humble, place yourself in the rookie position and build a natural bridge to present your education, experience and integrity to the oral board panel. Without this bridge, you're dead meat. This is not easy for many seasoned candidates. An attitude adjustment is needed. Attitude is a small thing that can make the big difference. Remember the position you're applying.

The seasoned veteran candidate can roar past any of the other candidates if his attitude and game plan is in place.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Just read all the posts. I`m hoping to emigrate to the US (Columbia SC) in the next two years, my mother is a US citizen. I will have then retired from the UK Fire Service having completed 32 years. I will be looking for a job when I get there. Would I stand a chance of getting a job within a Fire Dept?. I have gained a number of UK Fire Service qualifications but I`ll be 50 so an operational or non operational job is what I would be looking for.

Thread Information