Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default 24/48 pro & cons

Our district is looking to merger with another district and would like us to go to a 24/48 hour schudule. If anyone has anything they can offer it would greatly be appricated. Please e-mail me at career86@comcast.net

Forum Member

I've been on the 24/48 for 12 years now and love it. We also get a kelly day every three weeks.
    ski
    If you have any specific questions, I'll see if I can answer them.

Been working a 24/48 for the past 10 years and don't see any cons to it. I really like the schedule. We get a kelly day every 13 shifts

Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

The 24/48 schedule is okay, however sometimes those 48 hours seem to zip on by, at least to me. I'd prefer to work the Fairfax, VA schedule of 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, and 96 off.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Perhaps you should get your local to do some research on 24/72 Our Dept has been more than happy with that for more than 30 years
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke20286 View Post
    Perhaps you should get your local to do some research on 24/72 Our Dept has been more than happy with that for more than 30 years
    Careerff88:

You did not mention what schedule you currently work.

A 24/48 shift requires three shifts or platoons. A 24/72 requires four.

Would your union reduce manpower in order to create a forth platoon or will the city hire additional firefighters to maintain current staffing levels?

My FD has a four platoon system (work 9 hour days, 15 hour nights, 3 on, 3 off, 3 on). The union rejected 24/72's a few years ago, mostly due to misinformation by several members who did not want to change schedules.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

I would rather work the 2/4 aka 48/96 instead.

Don't mind the 24/48. we don't get kelly days so some have a good thing going. Worked the 24 on/24 off, 24 no 24 off 24 on 96 off at my previous dept loved that one. Made for long days in the hall with trades though. Now with a trade I can manage 48 on, at least you get one day off to rest before going back. Con is if you trade (if you can trade with others) one day you get 5 off.

MembersZone Subscriber EMFD2856's Avatar

Default 24/72

Our dept. has been on 24/72 with an extra day once a month on our middle day off for a long time and we love it. This schedule leaves a toon of extra time for just about anything.

Default Do the math

The goal should always be to lower the total number of hours worked annually. 24/48 or 48/96 equals 2912 hours per year unless you get Kelly Days. That means a 56 hour work week. 24/72= 2184 a year or a 42 hour work week. The Chicago Fire Dept. has the best schedule I have seen anywhere. 24/48 x 4 with every 5th day off as a Daley aka Kelly Day. That means every two weeks you have a 5 days off in a row.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post
    The goal should always be to lower the total number of hours worked annually. 24/48 or 48/96 equals 2912 hours per year unless you get Kelly Days. That means a 56 hour work week. 24/72= 2184 a year or a 42 hour work week. The Chicago Fire Dept. has the best schedule I have seen anywhere. 24/48 x 4 with every 5th day off as a Daley aka Kelly Day. That means every two weeks you have a 5 days off in a row.
    Thats the schedule we ditched in favor of 24/72. How can it be better if every company needed new drivers, more officers and firemen? In other words, a whole new shift of people.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by WFDjr1 View Post
    I'd prefer to work the Fairfax, VA schedule of 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, and 96 off.
    That is the schedule that we work, and it is great. We have some guys that live out of town that want everyone else to work 2on 4off so they don't have to commute as often.
    We have stations that can run 50 calls a day (split between 2-3 rigs) and someone is going to get their arse handed to them. Wrong schedule for a busy house.

There are reports that relate sleep apnea with DUI. 2 on 3 off rocks!

Just my personal opinion. I am not sure what you are asking. The Chicago firefighters did not want anything to do with 24/72.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member FireCapt1951retired's Avatar

How many hours are in your work week?
    Last edited by FireLt1951; 04-14-2007 at 08:21 AM.

I work a 52 hour week. I would love to work a 42 hour week. Hopefully we can eventually get it down to 48 which is a Kelly Day every 7th shift.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

I have worked 24/48's in EMS and now with an FD and love it. Everyday you go to work, its Friday. Every morning you get off, its Saturday morning. You cant go out Friday night, but you dont have to wait a whole week for another weekend

You take one day off, and you have a five day vacation...

One thing about us...we only have 12 career personnel and 3 part timers. Our pagers go home with us...type II alarms (structure fires, etc.) are an automatic recall...meaning overtime evertime you go in. Works for us.
    Gabriel
    FF/EMT
    Nevada, Missouri
    1*

Forum Member

With my former department, we worked 24/48's. It was okay; I found that if I was up all night, I tended to be too tired to do much my first day off, and I ended up feeling like I only had one day off. This department allowed us to have comp time and was flexible on scheduling vacation, so it wasn't hard to get a day off which meant having almost a week if you wanted to do something (i.e. vacation trip, etc.). We didn't have kelly days; we got paid the overtime.

The department I work for now works 24 on, 24 off for seven work days (13 days total) and then you get 8 days off straight. We don't have comp time and they are very rigid on scheduling vacation. We don't take kelly days here either, we get paid the overtime. The work set can seem to drag on forever, but it sure feels great when your days off roll around. Vacation bid is by seniority; it allows less senior people (myself included) to have days off in the summer to do stuff.

I like the current system better but the 24/48's were okay, too, the way my old department worked it. If they hadn't been flexible in allowing us to take vacation and comp time, however, I don't think I would have like the 24/48's nearly as well.

Temporarily Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by ski1559 View Post
    I've been on the 24/48 for 12 years now and love it. We also get a kelly day every three weeks.
    ski
    If you have any specific questions, I'll see if I can answer them.
    dittos, 12.5 years for me. NO cons for the 24/48 i love it!

Forum Member

I have worked this schedule for 28 yrs. But we have a possible problem coming up with working too many hours in a 28 day period.

Thread Information