Thread: FDNY hiring

MembersZone Subscriber

Default FDNY hiring

I am just getting off probation in washington state as a profesional firefighter. my dream though was to always work for the FDNY is this a logical. In washington I make pretty good money, have great benifits and work only 9 days a month. My question i guess is what is FDNY's schedule like pay benefits and so on. I want to make an informed decision about my choice to come out there and start testing. also what are my real chances of getting hired. any advice would help. much appreciated.

Forum Member

I think any and everyone should follow there dreams. I have a buddy working on 10 truck in Manhatten. I have never come out and asked his pay but I know it isn't much. They barley work at all so he has a lot of time off for side jobs to make enough to pay the bills. Personally I would love to work there but I hear the pay is so low in comparison to other large fire departments. I also hear it's very difficult getting on there being from out of state. But who doesn't love a challenege?

I would say if your single and your not doing the job for the money; go for it!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by BKDRAFT View Post
    I think any and everyone should follow there dreams. I have a buddy working on 10 truck in Manhatten. I have never come out and asked his pay but I know it isn't much. They barley work at all so he has a lot of time off for side jobs to make enough to pay the bills. Personally I would love to work there but I hear the pay is so low in comparison to other large fire departments. I also hear it's very difficult getting on there being from out of state. But who doesn't love a challenege?

I would say if your single and your not doing the job for the money; go for it!

Starting base salary $25,100 after 5 1/2 years it rises to about $63,000 plus benefits. 1/2 Pay retirement after 20 years.

Your friend doesn't "barely work" he works a 40 hr work week like every other shmoe going to work on the street. The chart has been explained on here before...look it up.

Although this last exam has become an absolute mess. Typically you take the exam...you pass the exam with a excellent score...you will get hired. City residents get 5 points so out of state guys need to score very well to get hired...but it isn't uncommon to see guys on the job from all over the country...or even from England or Ireland who immigrated here.

The only difficulty that most out of state guys have is the cost of air fare and hotels while having to go through different stages of the hiring process. Written Exam, practice physical (optional) Physical exam, investigation, medical(many times guys need to come back after failing once), psych exam...etc.

Next exam(provided they don't throw this one out) will be around 2010. If you aren't older than 29 when the application period begins you can take the exam.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Stay where you are!
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post
    Starting base salary $25,100 after 5 1/2 years it rises to about $63,000 plus benefits. 1/2 Pay retirement after 20 years.

Your friend doesn't "barely work" he works a 40 hr work week like every other shmoe going to work on the street. The chart has been explained on here before...look it up.

Although this last exam has become an absolute mess. Typically you take the exam...you pass the exam with a excellent score...you will get hired. City residents get 5 points so out of state guys need to score very well to get hired...but it isn't uncommon to see guys on the job from all over the country...or even from England or Ireland who immigrated here.

The only difficulty that most out of state guys have is the cost of air fare and hotels while having to go through different stages of the hiring process. Written Exam, practice physical (optional) Physical exam, investigation, medical(many times guys need to come back after failing once), psych exam...etc.

Next exam(provided they don't throw this one out) will be around 2010. If you aren't older than 29 when the application period begins you can take the exam.

FTM-PTB
    It's really that easy most of the time? Pass the exam with a good score and you will pretty much get the job? I thought they had 18,000 more applicants in jus tthe alst 3 weeks that they extended the app period. Also, I had no idea you make $63,000 after 5 1/2 years. I'm thinking of applying here next time around as well.

Also, what exactly went wrong with the last exam? I've heard a lot of weird things, but I'm not sure what the exact problem was.

Forum Member

I heard the exam was extremley easy compared to the previous exams. I believe it was made easier to get more minoritys on the job. Am I wrong?

MembersZone Subscriber

I never understand why race has to be an issue. We are making it worse for ourselvs my having colleges hire so many minoritys and policies of that nature. One standard should be for ALL aplicants to ANYTHING. Why can't the test be, if you pass you get to move on, not lets try and make it easier for minoritys, which I think is childish in the first place, there are PLENTY of people black, white, blue, tan, green, who would all benifit from easier test questions. There should be no such thing as a minority. We are all human beings with different capabilities.

Forum Member

There are several active thread that discuss the problems with test #6019, do we really need another one?

"They barely work at all", now that's a good one, are you serious?

Forum Member

other then wanting to be in the department that faught 9-11... what is the reason for you wanting be in the fdny. Its not different then any other city other then the fact that it is the fdny. Your fighting the same fires, in a different place. If being a probie all over again, reduced pay for a while is worth it to you, have fun. But its really not worth it...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Mihlrad View Post
    other then wanting to be in the department that faught 9-11... what is the reason for you wanting be in the fdny. Its not different then any other city other then the fact that it is the fdny. Your fighting the same fires, in a different place. If being a probie all over again, reduced pay for a while is worth it to you, have fun. But its really not worth it...
    Maybe he wanted to go somewhere that's busier. I'm only POC right now, but that's why I would want to go. It's the busiest dept in the US. Compare it to most of the others, and it really is different than other cities. Yea, they may be some of the same fires, but those fires may come up once every other month or so in smaller places.

Forum Member

Ah yes....every fire department has fires on the 75th floor of a building. Every department operates the same way tactically. Every department has the same manpower. Every department has 8 million residents to protect. Every department has 600+ miles of subway. Every department has hundreds of landmarks to protect. Every department has two major airports to protect. Every department has hundreds of miles of waterfront to protect. Every department has 1,000's of bridges and tunnels to protect. Every department protects major ship terminals........yeah....its just like anywhere else, why would he want to come and work here. Listen to the guy who does'nt work here.."it's really not worth it"

Dont forget FFred....it's actually a 48 hour work week....thats what the adjusted tour used to make up for.

MembersZone Subscriber

How do you know if it is worth it or not? I have not done your job, do you see me telling anyone that your job is not worth it? Your values, beliefs and level of worth are your own. Because you do not deem one job worth something, does not mean that someone else might.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

MembersZone Subscriber

i wanted to work for the FDNY before 9/11. this is for many reasons. they are assinged on one unit. they fight more fire. all i get are residential fires no high rises, warehouses, apartments, tax payers dont even exist where i am at. they have many unique calls that may happen with the subway. they have tons of history. they aren't pus*es i probably will never get to vent a roof here we simply dont have enough man power if i am lucky we get 11 at a first alarm residential fire. those are just some of the reasons.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fireslayer1237 View Post
    i wanted to work for the FDNY before 9/11. this is for many reasons. they are assinged on one unit. they fight more fire. all i get are residential fires no high rises, warehouses, apartments, tax payers dont even exist where i am at. they have many unique calls that may happen with the subway. they have tons of history. they aren't pus*es i probably will never get to vent a roof here we simply dont have enough man power if i am lucky we get 11 at a first alarm residential fire. those are just some of the reasons.
    You're desires and reasons are your own. I am not going to debate them. Before you go hell bend for leather, ask yourself this. Have you done anything at all to change the climate in your fire department? Sometimes big changes start at the small company level.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED View Post

FTM-PTB
    The starting pay is back up to about $35,000. As with possibilty of the test getting thrown out, only people that took it the first time around would be given the chance to take it again. Honestly I don't see how the whole test can be thrown out logistics wise. It would cause a lot more problems and headaches then what is going on right now (keep in mind this is coming from someone who didn't do so hot, all wrong answers were in the opinion section. I do however think that a lot of those opinion questions will probably be thrown out) The next test will be in about 4 years. You don't have to show that you live in NYC until after the written exam i.e. test was in Jan 07, must show that you were a resident between 3/07-3/08. I know its far down the line, but good luck to ya

MembersZone Subscriber

what do you suppose i do to change the climate of my dept. what do you mean by this. my last day of probation is the 17th of this month. I think i have been here a little short to try and start changing things. if you have some advice on what to do or try i am all up for suggestions

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireslayer1237 View Post
    what do you suppose i do to change the climate of my dept. what do you mean by this. my last day of probation is the 17th of this month. I think i have been here a little short to try and start changing things. if you have some advice on what to do or try i am all up for suggestions
    Wow your in the same situation I am in. Have you tested with the LAFD? If not you need to get down there ASAP.

Thread Information