Forum Member

Default yeah, alot

i emphsis A LOT as well, because i know i'm not paying that much, ecspecially if i am learning from the guys like i am already

MembersZone Subscriber

JrFireEMT:

If you really want to start learning, I would recommend buying the book, Essentials of Firefighting 4th Edition. It's much cheaper than $6,000. Memorizing that book will set you apart from many, and will show you have enough character, motivation, and knowledge to become a Firefighter.

http://www.amazon.com/Essentials-Fir...8488846&sr=1-1

Last edited by RFDExplorer; 05-06-2007 at 06:09 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Start long distance running

My story is similar to yours...but I knew much earlier than 13 what I wanted to do. My first bunker gear was a rain jacket and yellow ski pants with lens repair tape for reflective trim. As I got older I joined the fire explorer program...and bought a Essentials of Firefighting manual.

Now for the "running" part:
    You are excited because you found a job you are passionate about and highly desire. Not many people know what they want at such a young age. This is a blessing and a curse...mostly a blessing, of course.
    Start running to build up your endurance and stamina because at your age time doesn't fly by AND it will be VERY HARD to get hired at 18. It took me till I was 24 to get my full-time career firefighting job. There are ALOT of people out there for FEW jobs.

Now I run the fire explorer program for my fire department.

HERE IS THE BEST ADVICE FOR STARTING A FIRE EXPLORER PROGRAM:
    1) Find at least five other kids who are interested in exploring a career in the fire service. They can be your friends or just people you ask at school...your best bet at getting the fire department to support a program is by showing them that there is a true need.

2) Find a firefighter or two that you know (since you hang out at the station) that would be willing to be "run" the program.

If you can accomplish those two things you have the BEST CHANCE of a fire chief supporting an explorer program.

If I can be of any help, you can contact me at jbarrett@firehousemail.com.

Forum Member

Default !!!

Quote Originally Posted by PFVFRWFD1 View Post
    If yor state allows for it go take an EMT class and a ff1 and 2 class get ahead of the game....find a junior ff program
    i'm enrolled in the emt-basic, and i'm getting enrolled in the fire acadamey soon!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFxplr326 View Post
    Our state has a set up with each of the school districts and colleges/universities. It's Post Secondary Options. For example: my school district will pay my tuition, books, and fees for me to take college courses for college and high school credit. I will be taking Fire Science this fall and I will have one semester of my associates degree in fire science tech finished before I graduate high school. Now, when I pass the EMT-B test or FF-I test before I turn 18 (probably not goign to happen), the state will hold my cert for me and I don't have to take the test again when I do turn 18 because I would've already passed it.
    how old r u,and what state do you live in?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RFDExplorer View Post
    JrFireEMT:

If you really want to start learning, I would recommend buying the book, Essentials of Firefighting 4th Edition. It's much cheaper than $6,000. Memorizing that book will set you apart from many, and will show you have enough character, motivation, and knowledge to become a Firefighter.

http://www.amazon.com/Essentials-Fir...8488846&sr=1-1

i have it!

Forum Member

Default ????

hey, does anyone know where i might be able to get some used emt pants, or could i buy some from any of you guys?

Forum Member

ebay check there.
    "...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother;..." - King Henry V - Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.
    "crispitycrunchitypeanutbutter y t0ast" - DFurtman

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jrfireemt View Post
    how old r u,and what state do you live in?
    I'm 16 years old and I live in Ohio.
    (it has always said Northwest Ohio under my location under my screen name )

PS-
    Firehouse.com is not AIM or Yahoo!. Please use proper grammer and spelling. Please act professionally and maturely. No hard feelings. Just a friendly warning. The senior guys will get on you for it.
    Man, this is becoming a day-job for me.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Default thanks,

yeah, sorry, i was chatting at the same time, and i didnt notice that it said your location there, i just wondered if you lived near me, 'case i wondered if my state would hold my license too.

Forum Member

My question is if you are 13 how are you enrolled in and EMT class? Most states won't let you take the class until you are 18. Mind explaining? Ditto w/ the fire academy deal.

Forum Member

i get to sit in with the classes, because i have experiance in firefighting and medicals, and because i have already read both of the books, so it's not like i'm clueless or anything. oh, and because i'm determenied or something, that's what the instructor said.

Forum Member

Talk to the Boy Scouts. They do most of the the Explorer Post in my area, may be they can help you find and or start one with the department near you. Just a thought, hope it helps.
    GFD748 First in... Last out.. Everyone goes home.... Do the best job you can and do it safely

Forum Member

Wink

ok, i will
    and i've been hearing taht there's an explorer program in salt lake, but you have to be 16 i'll see what i can do though! thanks!

Forum Member

cool, i got new pictures!
    All men are created equal, then a few become firemen.

Forum Member

I wouldn't suggest going through the boy scouts. They have far too many rules regarding what you can and can't do. I'd suggest hangout around the station till you're old enough to become a junior firefighter.

I'm sure the people on this site would be more than happy to answer questions you have about firefighting.

Good luck!

Forum Member

Im not sure what you are talking about... The Learning for Life rules are simple and all of them make sense. It limits what you can do on the fire ground like ventilation work, interior attacks, and being called on individually. But in training situations you can be allowed to do so.

Read the rules for your self. http://www.learning-for-life.org/exp...ire/index.html

Now where the rules may get more strict is at the individual department and state laws.

Learning for life is the organization run through the BSA that governs Exploring and other programs.
    (sorry for the fragmented sentences just woke up and still a little sleep)

It's not the brightest thing to come into a topic and try to provoke a bunch of guys/gals with more time on the firehouse crapper than you do in the firehouse.

Forum Member

Thanks for that link toast. I was apparently mistaken on the rules that LFL sets forth regarding explorers.

Forum Member

Exclamation

ok? i guess that was an interesting conversation, but yeah, i think i'm going to keep going to the station like you said.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedFox0457 View Post
    Thanks for that link toast. I was apparently mistaken on the rules that LFL sets forth regarding explorers.
    Yah no problem! we all make miss informed posts (trust me I have).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jrfireemt View Post
    i get to sit in with the classes, because i have experiance in firefighting and medicals, and because i have already read both of the books, so it's not like i'm clueless or anything. oh, and because i'm determenied or something, that's what the instructor said.
    jeeze, where were these instructors when i was 13?
    i've got to imagine, there has to a big hunk of insurance with this.
    but for some reason the pieces just dont fit with the puzzle. =/

but as a female career firefighter to a female minor wanting to be a firefighter
    i wish you the best of luck!
    Last edited by summermist21FD; 07-04-2007 at 09:08 PM.
    Station 4-5-2
    Paradise Pennsylvania.
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

Wink

thanks! and yeah, the guy is really nice, i'll probably have to sign some liability papers or something like that, or release papers, but it's worth it.

Thread Information