Forum Member

Exclamation I'm 13, and i have 5 years to go...

i'm 13 in 2 days, then i've got 5 years till i can get onto our local department, i went on a fire by my house last june, and that's how i met the guys, i was just wondering if you guys have any advice whatsoever. like i siaid i have 5 years, but in the mean time, the best thing i can do is go hand with the guys at the station... andy advice of things i can do now to start?

Forum Member

see if they have an Explorer or Junior program. that way you can get a start earlier. Explorers is for 14 and Juniors are 16. that way you can start doing things with them earlier.

Forum Member

My absolute best advice to you is this...

Study hard and do well in school.

Stay fit.

Stay away from drugs and alcohol! Don't even try it once! EVER!

Don't do anything illegal! Even if you don't get caught, it can ruin your chances of getting hired later.

Join a Junior FF, or an Explorer program as soon as your old enough and always strive to do your absolute best at everything you do.

Kevin

P.S. Did I mention the drugs and alcohol thing?
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

I hate to be negative but you will have a very difficult time getting on the department at 18. My local department takes people at 18 but when a spot opens up the get tons of applications. I decided to just join a local volunteer department to get experience. Best advice is study, stay fit, and stay legal. Best of LUCK.

MembersZone Subscriber

well maybe someone can help in finding an explorer program for you...where in Utah do you live?

Forum Member

Keep your goal in mind. I fell in love with the fire service when I was about your age. I had, at the time, no idea about what the whole job entails. My advice would be to not lose sight of it as you grow older, and everyone and their brother is telling you to go to a four-year college. There's nothing wrong with that, but if you wanna be firefighter, go for it. Do well in school, stay clean, and also research the job some more. Go to your local library, I'm sure they have tons of books on firefighting. Good luck.

Forum Member

Bring ice cream every day and cook and clean like that maid from the brady bunch--you can probably find that in syndication on nickelodean.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post

Stay fit.

Don't do anything illegal! Even if you don't get caught, it can ruin your chances of getting hired later.

Join a Junior FF, or an Explorer program as soon as your old enough and always strive to do your absolute best at everything you do.

Kevin

What my Brother said... plus...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireman4949 View Post

Stay fit.

Kevin

Well put. Pretty well covered it all right there, the first point being the best
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Wink thanks!

thanks a bunch! i already asked, and they dont have a junior or explorer program, but i am learning a lot by just going over there and talking with them, and by doing hands on stuff. And trust me, i have read EVERY single book within a 50 mile radius. And what kind of classes would i want to take now? I live in Farmington, utah. and i think i've pretty much answered everyone's questions...

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    Well put. Pretty well covered it all right there, the first point being the best
    well, thanks, that helps alot!
    i've already checked, we dont have a junior firefighter/explorer program, and let's see what else you asked, oh yes, and i have read every book in a 50 mile radius trust me, i'm past that. and i think taht's it, oh yeah, on the grades thing, no problem!

Forum Member

Exclamation

How did he get an account in here at 13????

Stay in school son. Stay straight. DO NOT get into any type of trouble or get arrested and have a police record following you for the rest of your life!

Learn everything you can. Go to college Get a degree, then think about joining a fire department. With a degree, you will have a better chance for advancement. Plus should something happen you have your education to fall back on.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jrfireemt View Post
    well, thanks, that helps alot!
    i've already checked, we dont have a junior firefighter/explorer program, and let's see what else you asked, oh yes, and i have read every book in a 50 mile radius trust me, i'm past that. and i think taht's it, oh yeah, on the grades thing, no problem!
    Why'd you quote me. I agreed with what he said. I didn't say it myself

By the way,because you have read every book within 50 miles of you means diddly squat
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 04-11-2007 at 06:18 PM.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

That would be a lot of repeats and dictionaries.

Forum Member

Thumbs down gosh, thanks

well, first off, i'm a girl, and btw, and one person said read all the books aobut it that you can. and yeah, but thanks, i plan on being the first girl on the farmington fire department, k?
    i fyou got an issue with me being a girl, i'd like to hear it...

Forum Member

well, first off, i'm a girl, and btw, and one person said read all the books aobut it that you can. and yeah, but thanks, i plan on being the first girl on the farmington fire department, k?
    I don't have an issue...I've always liked girls!

Read, study and continue to ask questions. You can do anything you set your mind to.

Good luck!

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

With that attitude you should have no problem getting hired on a department.

I'm not going to repeate what everyone else said, just follow thier advice. If the Department is fine with you going down there then keep doing it, listen to what they have to say and learn from them. Also why don't you talk to the training officer or chief and see if you could get a Junior fire program started?

Forum Member

like the person before me said, just take everyone else's advice.
    but of all most important, do well in school.
    being on a career department now, i could kick my self in the butt for just rushing through school, on grades good enough, just to get by, and getting into fire academy, and emt school, and getting a job.
    stay focused.
    you can do anything you wanna do.
    who knew that a post i was once in, i'm now in charge of in being head advisor?

good luck,
    and stay safe!
    Station 4-5-2
    Paradise Pennsylvania.
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

I have no problems with females in any job, AS LONG AS THEY PULL THEIR WEIGHT. If they don't like some I've seen, thats when I begin too have problems. If this is what you want go for it. But at the same time keep in mind the advice that has been given too you,especially about worrying about school first and FD later, and keep a positive attitude all the time

Ryan

Forum Member

Red face right

right, thanks a bunch, i jsut cant wait to get on the department.. but i'll ask the chief about starting a program, whe he get's back

Thread Information