Forum Member

Default NYSPFFA Shirts...

A brother from Syracuse, NY was selling some shirts 2 years ago or so that were a touch 'anti-volunteer'. I need to contact him to see if he has anymore and ive lost his business card. If anyone knows of him....please let me know. Thanks!

Forum Member

Alaways nice to bash the vollies who do the same job for free. What makes them equal to a paid department. After all the fight a diffrent fire.

MembersZone Subscriber
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Forum Member

I don't know if he has any more, but his name is Parrothead. his e-mail is local280@gmail.com

Tell him I referred you to him, and that I want a referral commission
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

Actually, there is a distinct difference to how a career department is run compared to a vollie's. A career department is run like a business while a volunteer fire company is run like a club.
    Last edited by FDAIC485; 04-07-2007 at 10:33 AM.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

MembersZone Subscriber

Ouch a little bitterness towards the vollies huh? I'll never understand why it matters but thats just me. And for the record i'm now strictly paid and i'm union local 820. But maybe it will change someday.

Forum Member

Actually, I am strictly a career firefighter, too. However, I volunteered for several years. In fact, I made it up to the rank of chief officer at my house. However, all the political BS and soap-opera theatrics when dealing with other vollies became old. Most of whom would not cut it as career firefighters. They were just in it for the lightbar on their POV's. We had a saying, "The size of the lightbar is in direct proportion with their inability on the emergency scene."
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

MembersZone Subscriber

yeah I hear ya there are many that ruin it for the few. I guess you can throw out the proffesinalism with most vol depts but there are some that look good. There is alot of politics to but what fire dept doesn't have that. I can see both sides of the arguement.

Forum Member

Our station is a clubhouse because it is not manned 24-7. I agree some vollies would not make it as a paid firefighter. Some ,however, are disciplined. You can't lump us all in one group. Same as "all paid guys are the **** beccuase they get a paycheck." Many of the paid guys we work with dont think they are any better. I guess they are wrong.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TNFF319 View Post
    I agree some vollies would not make it as a paid firefighter. Some ,however, are disciplined. You can't lump us all in one group.
    You are only as good as your worst member.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDAIC485 View Post
    Actually, there is a distinct difference to how a career department is run compared to a vollie's. A career department is run like a business while a volunteer fire company is run like a club.
    I would say that generalized statement would really depend on the department. There are several VFDs that are run very professional and not just by the Good 'ol Boy system.

Thread Information