1. #1
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    233

    Default Hilton Head SC Test-Help

    Wondering if someone can help me out here. Hilton Head Island is having a test 4/21 which I have signed up for. I am living in Boston Mass and will obviously have to travel. Does anyone know how many spots they will be looking to fill for Firefighter and how many people are taking this exam? I ask because if they are having it to fill 3 spots and 300 people are taking the test I am not sure how worth it is to make the trip.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber
    JohnVBFD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Norfolk, Va
    Posts
    1,479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bbell1977 View Post
    Wondering if someone can help me out here. Hilton Head Island is having a test 4/21 which I have signed up for. I am living in Boston Mass and will obviously have to travel. Does anyone know how many spots they will be looking to fill for Firefighter and how many people are taking this exam? I ask because if they are having it to fill 3 spots and 300 people are taking the test I am not sure how worth it is to make the trip.

    Thanks.
    If you are taking the test, you know the number to Human Resources or their personnel branch.

    Why not try this real difficult task, it might solve ALL your questions......ready for this....










    CALL THEM!!!
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

    Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

    'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

  3. #3
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    32

    Default

    They hire as needed. On average, about 300 will take the test. I'd say about 10 are hired every time a hiring list is created. They test every 2 years.

  4. #4
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    233

    Default

    I did and they do not know but thanks for that useful tip that I already tried.

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cupcake NY
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    Old neighbor of mine worked there, he hated it, it was 99% ems for old people!

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber
    JohnVBFD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Norfolk, Va
    Posts
    1,479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Old neighbor of mine worked there, he hated it, it was 99% ems for old people!

    Is it not where Mark Messier used to reside in the off season while playing with the Rangers? Thinking Hilton Head is ringing a bell for some reason, or maybe I just got my bell rung too many times in bars?
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

    Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

    'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    FDAIC485's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeast aka Dixie
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Old neighbor of mine worked there, he hated it, it was 99% ems for old people!
    Not that this is any type of newsflash.... This is the trend across the country aside from large cities with an inner-city/projects area.
    Last edited by FDAIC485; 04-06-2007 at 08:07 PM.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

    -J. Cantrell

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Alex1137's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Hilton Head (Island) is a made of mostly up-scale, private golf communities along or near the beach. You're typical resident will be older, because they cater to retiree's, with the typical yuppie family staying in town for the week. HH has an amazing water supply system (for the south), and are a Class 1 department. Keep in mind, cost of living in the HHI area is very high. While I don't know how many apply for or get hired to that department, hopefully this info will help in your decision making. If you don't mind heat and humidity, then HH is the place for you

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    FDAIC485's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeast aka Dixie
    Posts
    653

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1137 View Post
    Hilton Head (Island) is a made of mostly up-scale, private golf communities along or near the beach. You're typical resident will be older, because they cater to retiree's, with the typical yuppie family staying in town for the week. HH has an amazing water supply system (for the south), and are a Class 1 department. Keep in mind, cost of living in the HHI area is very high. While I don't know how many apply for or get hired to that department, hopefully this info will help in your decision making. If you don't mind heat and humidity, then HH is the place for you
    I think you are wrong about the ISO 1. To the best of my knowledge there are only two ISO 1 FD's in SC, Charleston and Myrtle Beach. I think Hilton Head is a 3.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

    -J. Cantrell

  10. #10
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Mistake On The Lake
    Posts
    470

    Default

    Just go and take the test if you want to work there. So what if they only end up hiring three people. You could very well end up number one on the list. However, if you don't take it, I can guarantee out of however many people take that test, you'll end up not on it.

  11. #11
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    32

    Default

    The job is 80% EMS, a large part of which is EMS for old people. If you want to see action, this isn't the place for you.

    HHI is Class 3 or 4.

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cupcake NY
    Posts
    1,327

    Default

    dont forget the no-seeums!

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    Alex1137's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FDAIC485 View Post
    I think you are wrong about the ISO 1. To the best of my knowledge there are only two ISO 1 FD's in SC, Charleston and Myrtle Beach. I think Hilton Head is a 3.
    I stand corrected, sometimes i get Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head mixed up. There is, however, a third ISO 1 department in South Carolina. It is the Boiling Springs Fire District in Greenville (Upstate area). I only know that because it is all the firefighters from the department talk about......

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Stamford FD hiring practices
    By Whaler in forum Connecticut
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-21-2007, 09:19 AM
  2. Hammond test impressions
    By pedalinmedic in forum Indiana
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-19-2006, 01:16 PM
  3. Advice on Psychological Written
    By AZCadet33 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-04-2006, 06:12 PM
  4. Hilton Head Island Hiring Pool
    By jeepnmad198 in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-02-2003, 10:43 PM
  5. TEST..TEST...TEST. PLEASE IGNORE
    By TFDNY in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-26-2001, 06:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register