MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hilton Head SC Test-Help

Wondering if someone can help me out here. Hilton Head Island is having a test 4/21 which I have signed up for. I am living in Boston Mass and will obviously have to travel. Does anyone know how many spots they will be looking to fill for Firefighter and how many people are taking this exam? I ask because if they are having it to fill 3 spots and 300 people are taking the test I am not sure how worth it is to make the trip.

Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bbell1977 View Post
    Wondering if someone can help me out here. Hilton Head Island is having a test 4/21 which I have signed up for. I am living in Boston Mass and will obviously have to travel. Does anyone know how many spots they will be looking to fill for Firefighter and how many people are taking this exam? I ask because if they are having it to fill 3 spots and 300 people are taking the test I am not sure how worth it is to make the trip.

Thanks.
    If you are taking the test, you know the number to Human Resources or their personnel branch.

Why not try this real difficult task, it might solve ALL your questions......ready for this....

CALL THEM!!!
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

They hire as needed. On average, about 300 will take the test. I'd say about 10 are hired every time a hiring list is created. They test every 2 years.

MembersZone Subscriber

I did and they do not know but thanks for that useful tip that I already tried.

Forum Member

Old neighbor of mine worked there, he hated it, it was 99% ems for old people!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post

Is it not where Mark Messier used to reside in the off season while playing with the Rangers? Thinking Hilton Head is ringing a bell for some reason, or maybe I just got my bell rung too many times in bars?
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Not that this is any type of newsflash.... This is the trend across the country aside from large cities with an inner-city/projects area.
    Last edited by FDAIC485; 04-06-2007 at 08:07 PM.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Forum Member

Hilton Head (Island) is a made of mostly up-scale, private golf communities along or near the beach. You're typical resident will be older, because they cater to retiree's, with the typical yuppie family staying in town for the week. HH has an amazing water supply system (for the south), and are a Class 1 department. Keep in mind, cost of living in the HHI area is very high. While I don't know how many apply for or get hired to that department, hopefully this info will help in your decision making. If you don't mind heat and humidity, then HH is the place for you

Forum Member

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Alex1137 View Post
    Hilton Head (Island) is a made of mostly up-scale, private golf communities along or near the beach. You're typical resident will be older, because they cater to retiree's, with the typical yuppie family staying in town for the week. HH has an amazing water supply system (for the south), and are a Class 1 department. Keep in mind, cost of living in the HHI area is very high. While I don't know how many apply for or get hired to that department, hopefully this info will help in your decision making. If you don't mind heat and humidity, then HH is the place for you
    I think you are wrong about the ISO 1. To the best of my knowledge there are only two ISO 1 FD's in SC, Charleston and Myrtle Beach. I think Hilton Head is a 3.
    I believe them bones are me. Some say we are born into the grave. I feel so alone, gonna end up a big ol' pile a them bones

-J. Cantrell

Forum Member

Just go and take the test if you want to work there. So what if they only end up hiring three people. You could very well end up number one on the list. However, if you don't take it, I can guarantee out of however many people take that test, you'll end up not on it.

Forum Member

The job is 80% EMS, a large part of which is EMS for old people. If you want to see action, this isn't the place for you.

HHI is Class 3 or 4.

Forum Member

dont forget the no-seeums!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDAIC485 View Post
    I think you are wrong about the ISO 1. To the best of my knowledge there are only two ISO 1 FD's in SC, Charleston and Myrtle Beach. I think Hilton Head is a 3.
    I stand corrected, sometimes i get Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head mixed up. There is, however, a third ISO 1 department in South Carolina. It is the Boiling Springs Fire District in Greenville (Upstate area). I only know that because it is all the firefighters from the department talk about......

Thread Information