Forum Member

Default Should I shouldn't I

I am batting around if I should write for SCBA's and an exhaust system or just one. I know that the SCBS will cost us around 250k and the exhaust is 40k. will I be asking for to much if I do both.

Forum Member

They really don't go together, you had better have a heck of a narrative to show the relationship. May have better luck splitting and going either one way or the other. Exhaust systems seem to go better for the career departments, or stations with a heavy use and occupancy.

Forum Member

250k for SCBA and 40k for exhaust.

Matching amount COULD be half the cost of the exhaust system, at the very least it would be $14.5k, which is still close to half the exhaust.

That's a tough financial need to justify seeing as your matching funds alone for the grant would pay a large amount of the 1 item being requested.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

We actually got this same grant last year, except we weren't looking for 250k for SCBA, we were more in the range of 60k. Either way, we got lucky and got it, so good luck to you...
    Eric Minnich, Captain / NREMT-P
    Neffs Volunteer Fire Co.
    Neffs, Pennsylvania

"Leather Forever"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by fire41108 View Post
    I am batting around if I should write for SCBA's and an exhaust system or just one. I know that the SCBS will cost us around 250k and the exhaust is 40k. will I be asking for to much if I do both.
    What is your greatest need? Apply for that one.

Forum Member

Put your priorities in order, then apply based on those priorities. We have had succes when we concentrate on one item at a time, and have been unsuccesul when trying for too many things at once.

Have a nice day.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Limeforever View Post
    They really don't go together, you had better have a heck of a narrative to show the relationship.
    "Without this exhaust system, we currently have to walk around our station in our outdated and extremely worn SCBA to provide us with safe breathing air"

Forum Member

ever thought of not leaving the trucks running with the doors closed??????

Forum Member

Thanks for all you thoughts. We are a combo. dept. that has 6 firefighter 24/7 and our training room gett's used about 4 times a week by political figures that is why we were thinking of the exhaust system. ok if I just do the SCBA's is the amount high that will cover us under the new 2007. to learn more about our dept. go to zonetonfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

What are you looking for for a vehicle exhaust system? What ever you go for needs to provide 100% capture of exhaust. The $40K seems to be low compared to the apparatus stored at the 2 stations. Anything stored inside, whether diesel or gasoline vehicles, would have to be tied into the exhaust system.

What is the issue with the SCBA? Are the current units able to be upgraded to the new standard? How many seated positons?

Forum Member

there are 10 years old, I am going to ask for 40 to replace all but 10. Our station two already has an exhaust system I am just tring for our station one. buit now I am thinking not even asking for one. after the train derailment and OSHA we need to be up to date with our packs.

Forum Member

Just curious, but what kind of SCBA you looking for? 250k / 40 = 6250 each. We got Scott's last year with spare bottles for 5k each. Isn't there an "allowable" amount for SCBA $$ in the grant?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

That was the 2002 standard price bones, 2007 is all you can apply for now since the new standard is in place as of February. Prices have gone up to over $6K a pack across all brands. The DHS limit will go up from last year's $5k.

Thread Information