Forum Member

Default size and age for volunteer depts

A recent thread asked if he was too small for FD. But if the person can do the job, or a job with the dept should anyone be excluded from being on the dept.
    I would never be hired as a pro or paid on-call dept at 44 yrs old and 6'2" 360 pounds. But I can drive and operate the rigs as good as anybody. Have pulled hose and cut people out of wrecks. Our asst chief and 2 others are in there 60's and can still put the young ones to shame in most situations. So does your departments have restictions on such things. Or anybody willing and able allowed. This pertains to only Volunteer depts.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default restrictions

our only restrictions are 18 to battle a fire & 21 to drive the rigs. sometimes those have to be overlooked though due to nessisty

MembersZone Subscriber

The only time size comes into play is trying to find turnout gear to fit the individual. Anyone who applies and is at either end of the scale, we have some difficulty finding gear to fit them with the sets we have on hand. Our budget is small so we can't always order gear to fit them.

Age? We will take someone from 16 yrs., although they need written permission from both parents and some jobs they will be trained for but not allowed to perform "on-scene" due to the danger or trauma involved. Once they are 18, they can start the more intensive jobs with a seasoned member. After that, they can do anything and everything.
    IACOJ
    If you are willing to teach;
    I am willing to learn.

Forum Member

18 to attend FF1 class and become a firefighter. 21 to drive the big trucks. Necessity does not change that for us.

State of NJ will not accept anyone over the age of 42 or 45 and anyone not fitting into their "guidelines" for height/weight. You can still become a firefighter and do all training, you just won't ever get into the state fireman's association, which covers funeral expenses if you die in the line of duty.

In my department, at the age of 60, you are no longer required to attend all trainings/fundraisers/meetings. We have a few that still drive for us, but are not the first ones to go looking for the SCBA to put on and go interior anymore.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tandy35481 View Post
    our only restrictions are 18 to battle a fire & 21 to drive the rigs. sometimes those have to be overlooked though due to nessisty
    Does your dept., have a lot of "youngsters'?
    Last edited by WaterbryVTfire; 04-06-2007 at 03:19 PM.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

Forum Member

I think it comes down to, "We can find a place for anyone, as long as everyone knows their place."

If all you are doing is driving and operating the pump, OK. But if you are pulling hose, or doing extrication, you better have the physical ability to do so.

This isn't intended as a slam. It's just the way it is, and the way it needs to be for the safety of the firefighter in question, the other members of his crew, and the public we serve.

As for my department, we have no upper age limit, but do require an annual, fairly stringent physical. Also, we require trainings at the state academy which do have physical requirements.

I have had to tell a 57 yo (who takes coumadin) that no, he wouldn't be going interior any more. Did he like it? No. Did I like having to say it? No. Would I say it again? In a heartbeat.

Forum Member

We take em all. I am only 18 and I can drive( once I pass EVOC) and fight fire. In my opinon depts dont have the luxury of turning people away. Stay Safe!

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=TNFF319;794228]We take em all. I am only 18 and I can drive( once I pass EVOC) and fight fire. In my opinon depts dont have the luxury of turning people away. Stay Safe![/QUOTE

i wish we had depts. around here like that. they'll turn you down if you don't live within a mile of the station. but here it is 18 to join 18 to drive. i am 5'7" and about 140 lbs not big but like said on these forums before "mind over matter" I'm with the women on this one saying "size doesn't matter"

MembersZone Subscriber

Our requirements are 18 to play,21 to drive the big trucks.I was going to trainings my senior year of high school but had to wait till I was 18 to play.I drove the big trucks a little early but it was out of necessity due to nonexistent daytime staffing and I worked 24/48 and was home two days at a time.Our oldest member is in his early to mid 70s and drives and pumps.He lives across from our main station and can be counted on to drive a truck most any time,he was also a founding member 25 years ago.

Forum Member

I've never heard of anyone being turned away from our Dept. Theres plenty of jobs too do no matter what size you are. If you can drive,chances are you'd drive. I know of a young lady thats right around 5' tall if not smaller and she is one of the most active member on their dept
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

My old department wouldn't just toss you the keys and say"Drive to the fire."They wanted you to get a little time on the department to see if they could trust you with that truck that costs more than I've made in 15 years.Most of the drivers have 18 wheeler experience or other trucking jobs where large vehicles are involved.Being a formerly licensed towboat pilot,I'd handled much larger things but they still wanted to see how I worked on dry land first.
    Volunteer departments may not have the luxury of picking and choosing people but mine had the policy of expecting you to be able to do something with the pumper once you got it to the scene.
    We had a guy who had been an officer on his old department before he was 20(kinda says something there) and he'd go batsh** every time he wasn't allowed to drive a rig.
    Just because he'd passed his EVOC at his old department didn't negate the POV wrecks he'd had after joining our posse.The officer in charge of the station he and I responded to didn't want someone with a lot of wrecks that recently to be behind the wheel too soon.
    That's not too unreasonable a policy,if you ask me.

Forum Member

Volunteer departments may not have the luxury of picking and choosing people
    True. But they do have the luxury of setting and requiring standards. And if the public fails to support them in that pursuit of being competent, then the public should not be surprised when no one shows up.

Don't use the excuse "we're only volunteers" EVER!
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

I know with mine we would rather have a smaller group of competent and dedicated members like we currently have than in the past when we had 40-50 people on roster and it was the same 20-25 of us pulling the weight.And if you cant operate all facets of the truck,you wont drive it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post

Don't use the excuse "we're only volunteers" EVER!
    Here Here!! That "line" is just an excuse for people who want to "play" firefighter. If you want to do this job, you need to step up, get the training and do it right!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

I would say ability is the key in my dept., not age or size. When you apply to the dept. you are required to do a physical agility test and pass a medical physical. If you can do that you can be voted on the dept., if you don't pass these then no, you won't get voted on.
    Our minimum age is 18 to join, 21 to drive, however maturity level of that person will dictate if they will let you drive the rigs.
    Your age and size doesn't really matter that much. If you're a short 55 year old woman and you can prove you can drive the engines, engineer, etc. then you will be doing it.
    I'm 48, 5'2" and 156 pounds. I'm not the most limber person on the dept. and I'm known for falling out of the engines but I can always get the job done that is expected of me.
    S.Davis
    EMT-B/FF1/ARFF

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm 53 years old 5'-10" 240lbs I have high BP and I have a complete physical every year and have my heart Doc run my through the paces every 2 years.
    I'm the past chief of my department and past chief of the town. I am presently my department's Safety Officer and I actively run calls.
    ex Chief 500

DVFD

Default Theres a job for all

I'm 5' 10'' 230 and surprisingly just passed a regular stress test, ultrasound and nuclear stress test. Found that I had to go 3 extra minutes on the tried mill to get my hart rate up to the proper BPM. With this said I would have to cut a extra 1' hole to get my heavy duty ***** in the attic of some houses thatís when I call Fred 5'5'' 125lbs he can just slip right in doesnít even have to remove his SCBA harness to go up there. But on the same note I'd be hard pressed to get him to advance a 2.5 at a large structure.
    We also have a 55 Yr old retiree that has said he does not want to fight fire (interior attack) but I would put him against any one on the pump panel.
    That being said he must still train in all aspects of the dept. just in case there is that slim chance that he has to make that entry because we may be second due and have limited staffing for a rescue or primary search.

K Dugas
    Duson Vol.Fire Dept.
    FF1 Haz Mat OP's

MembersZone Subscriber

My department is in a very small town, but we get a lot of tourist traffic and we have a large proportion of 2nd home owners. We always need more people, and we'll find a use for you pretty much as long as you're warm and breathing.

MembersZone Subscriber

We will only accept applicants who intend on in being "Class A" Interior Firefighters. They will have to successfully complete Essential and Primary Training at Nassau County Fire Academy. Doesnt Osha dictate that all "Class A" FF in NY (Use SCBA) submit to yearly physicals and be fit tested? Additionally, we will conduct a background check which includes Criminal, Arson & Drug testing. Only after the successful completion of the above will they find their niche or role within the Company. You can't apply looking to be a driver or a exterior FF only prior to coming in.
    Last edited by RoughRider; 05-01-2007 at 01:11 PM.
    Fortune does not change men; it unmasks them.

The grass ain't greener, the wine ain't sweeter!! Either side of the hill.

IACOJ PROUD

Thread Information