Forum Member

Default Degree or No Degree

Help me decide whether I should pursue a Fire Science/Administration Degree or not. My department does not require degrees except maybe at the Chief level. The extra money for having a degree will be nice but I need more than that. What are the benefits or advantages of having a degree in the fire service? Keep in mind that I am not a big fan of going to school but I want to consider a degree if it will benefit my career. I recently was promoted to Driver and I just completed Paramedic school. The paramedic schooling is worth 33 hours toward an EMS type Bachelors degree. My State Fire Cert is worth a semester toward a Fire Science type Associates degree. Thanks for your input!

Forum Member

33 credit hours? In that case, you are already a quarter done.

Just out of curiousity, what is an "EMS type" bachelors degree?

Anyway, just remember that you'll always have the degree once you get it, and it could come in very handy in retirement or in the event you are injured and need a new career.

MembersZone Subscriber

from what i have been told by several firefighters from several cities is that within the next 5-10 years fire departments are going to start requiring degrees for advancement through the ranks. one department i have heard of requires a associates degree in fire science or some form of management degree for captains rank. just go to the job section of firehouse.com and look up jobs throughout the country for captains, battalion chiefs and chiefs. most are going to require something like a bachelors degree in fire science, public administration, or business administration.

so my answer is yes, it is worth the time and money to get a degree in fire science or something along those lines. not only will it help with promotions, but some departments will give you a pay increase for it.

Forum Member

Yes, it is often required for any kind of Chief officer.
    You may not want to be a chief now, but if you feel differently in 10 years you will be happy you already got it out of the way.
    Even if you never want to be a chief, the degree will probably help since many chiefs are big on education (they had to get the degree so they like to see others do the same).

Forum Member

I am currently enrolled in a community college for a 2 year degree in Emergency Medical Management. And Basic and Medic are a good 3/4 of the degree. The rest is the basic English comp 1 and 2 and Math...and then a couple communication and management classes...

FossilMedic

Quote Originally Posted by randsc View Post
    Just out of curiousity, what is an "EMS type" bachelors degree?
    One of a dozen undergraduate degrees with an emphasis on EMS.

This link takes you to the six that offer EMS management:
    http://home.gwu.edu/~mikeward/FESHE_EMS.html

Depending on where the fire, hazmat or emergency management certificates were taken, there may also be academic credit for fire training, either as advanced standing (transfer in) or courses accredited by the American Council on Education.

This link describes fire-based bachelor degrees:
    http://home.gwu.edu/~mikeward/Overvi...%20degrees.htm

If you just took one three credit class a semester, you would could have a GRADUATE degree by time you are ready to retire. About one-third of my fire science community college students were the forty somethings in a panic.

While they had superior technical skills and experience, they did not have a bachelor degree that would allow the federal government, state government or private organization to hire them for those six figure homeland security jobs.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeWard; 04-07-2007 at 09:06 AM.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Wow.............

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWard View Post
    One of a dozen undergraduate degrees with an emphasis on EMS.

This link takes you to the six that offer EMS management:
    http://home.gwu.edu/~mikeward/FESHE_EMS.html

Depending on where the fire, hazmat or emergency management certificates were taken, there may also be academic credit for fire training, either as advanced standing (transfer in) or courses accredited by the American Council on Education.

This link describes fire-based bachelor degrees:
    http://home.gwu.edu/~mikeward/Overvi...%20degrees.htm

If you just took one three credit class a semester, you would could have a GRADUATE degree by time you are ready to retire. About one-third of my fire science community college students were the forty somethings in a panic.

While they had superior technical skills and experience, they did not have a bachelor degree that would allow the federal government, state government or private organization to hire them for those six figure homeland security jobs.

Mike
    Mike, I looked at EVERYTHING on your page. I'm amazed.......... one point: take good care of Turetsky, he's one of mine...........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

FossilMedic

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    ....one point: take good care of Turetsky, he's one of mine...........
    Yeah, I know He is a great kid.

Mike

Forum Member

First let me say that all the education in the world does not make you a good FF/Captain/Chief/etc.

That being said, I think overall, any additional education/training you can get is definitely a plus. People can take alot of things from you, but they can't take away your education. I have an Associates in Fire Science, and personally, I believe, it took about 8 years for people to really look at it as a plus. I say that because I finished when I was 20. Everyone know that a 20 y/o with a degree doesn't amount to much in this field. That's why I say get all you can, because in the future it will help you out (career advancement, new employment, etc.)

Furthering your education, to me, shows that you are dedicated and passionate about this career. Not an expert or better FF because of it.
    The only person who does not screw up, is the person who does not do anything.

Permanently Removed

This is a NO BRAINER! Get a/any/all degrees you can.

Why? Just because your current FD requires this or that, it doesnt matter. Education is a BIG KEY and you just might need it in your daily duties and life.

And besides, you need a back-up plan or "plan b". What if you get hurt on the job and cant be a Firefighter anymore. Do you want to flip burgers? I dont.

Get all the education you can.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'll echo what Bou said-any degree is better than none. I just finished up my B.S. (I already had an Associates in Science) and I'm looking at Masters programs now. It would have been a whole lot easier at 23 then now at age 46, but it is something I need to do for my next career (159 weeks to go!).

Any job in a related field (consulting, State or Federal, private industry) require at least a 4-year degree, many want a Masters. I do not want to work in a store or a shop when I retire (been there, done that).
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 04-08-2007 at 08:41 PM.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Thanks for all your input. I'm not sure yet what I will do, but I will look into it and give it thoughtful consideration.

Thanks again and any other thoughts on the matter are appreciated.

Forum Member

I believe that once Bou responds, that's all one needs, but I do want to ask something based on this quote.

Quote Originally Posted by FireZoneOnly View Post
    ...but I need more than that.
    What about studying for the pure learning. A problem that I see too often is that so much weight is given to the piece of paper for the job advancement or the salary steps, which are GREAT benefits. You said these are not paramount to you, so how about the motivation of pushing yourself academically just to learn new things?

I haven't thoroughly researched this but I wonder if it matters whether or not a degree is fire related. Maybe you have another interest or something you may want to pursue for a "B" plan as Bou mentioned. Just my thoughts.

Thread Information