Thread: Clogged Nozzles

Default Clogged Nozzles

I would like to collect info regarding anyone involved in a stalled fire attack; where the event was attributed to a clogged nozzle. I would like to add this to the debated we are having; factors to consider regarding smooth bore vs. fog.

This isn't meant to stir the SB vs. fog nest, but to collect info and thus support for those that support the SB, especially for standpipe ops. I haven't seen any recent threads concerning this.

I'm not opposed to giving e-mail address in order to receive the info. Thanks a mil.

Forum Member

Default Broke Ball

Had the nylon ball in the valve at the base of our Stang break apart & clog the 1”3/4 tip. Shut us down until we figured it out. Smooth bore or Fog wouldn’t matter. I can only imagine what damage getting hit by a piece of ball valve could do.

Default What I Need

Thanks rfdlou for the post. This is exactly what I need...ladder08

Forum Member

Can't help you. We use both and have never had either clog up.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ladder08 View Post
    I would like to collect info regarding anyone involved in a stalled fire attack; where the event was attributed to a clogged nozzle. I would like to add this to the debated we are having; factors to consider regarding smooth bore vs. fog.

This isn't meant to stir the SB vs. fog nest, but to collect info and thus support for those that support the SB, especially for standpipe ops. I haven't seen any recent threads concerning this.

I'm not opposed to giving e-mail address in order to receive the info. Thanks a mil.
    Had a fog tip on a 2 1/2 clog while moving in on the fire...luckly the flush function cleared it...however that required stopping...creating a fog stream and it only cleared some of it...needed to clean it thoroughly afterwords. The officer had to reach over me to open the flush function, because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to control the stream and the barrel of the nozzle and things would have been much worse.

Seen plently of gook come out of standpipe outlets, but since we aren't foolish or stupid and use fog tips for standpipes or interior jobs for that matter I can't tell you about one clogging...however I've also seen some thick dirty water come through my nozzle tip that probably would have had an effect on flow and stream had it been flowed through a fog tip.

Forum Member

Had a quarter clog a nozzle. We would have water then lose water, have it, lose it. We went from having great pressure to having none at all a few times in succession. This occurred because the quarter kept spinning inside the nozzle. Always check your nozzles before every tour. We think the quarter was from the hydrant though, but still, you never know!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Had a 3 plugged with stuff in the stand-pipes (candy wrappers and junk) During a large apartment which we burned the roof of but not because of the lines. The fire had been well involved in the attic prior to arrival. We were trying to save the other 80 apartments in the building. We then changed all our nozzles in the department (60 or so) to break away tips. One so we could extend the line if needed. Two so if it happened again we could unscrew the fog and flush the ball. Kids love to jam crap in the stand pipes and put the covers back on. As for things that might pass through the pump have not had that one yet.

Forum Member

Unhappy

I had a clogged nozzle one time, turned out to be a urinary track infection.

Proud Dad.

sorry for your luck......
    Last edited by enginerider50; 04-13-2007 at 11:05 PM.
    http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w104/co50ffyetter/New%20Rescue5-1/th_Rescue51.jpg
    Yes the rigs are green. Can't lose a green fire engine in a parade, right?

Forum Member

Had a nozzle clog up during an interior attack on a farmhouse fire 20 years or so ago. House was atatched to a alrge barn, and we were called mutual aid. Stretched the line to the 2nd floor and it seemed to be having no affect on the fire. Pulled out and saw that it had the flow of a garden hose.

Apprently the host department had used that nozzle to clean culverts with, which they did for the town on a regular basis. When they took it apart, they found the nozzle clogged with stones.

Pulling out really had little affect on the outcome. House was gonna burn anyway.

Clogging should have no affect on the decision as to which nozzle to use as they can clog from stuff from the hydrants. Choose the one that will do the job you have in mind.

Exclamation FOAM problem, not nozzle

Recently ran into a issue with a fire company which i sell equipment to. members were at a structure fire when their selectable nozzle gummed up and went from about 125 psi to about 15. i recieved a call and drove to investigate. found problem to be foam. The foam injector into the manifold piping on the truck remained in the open position. the company did not flush the system after use. The injector remained slighlty opened and built up a thick layer. that layer broke off and clogged the fog nozzle up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post

Pulling out really had little affect on the outcome.

You mean to tell me that the teachers were right? The pull out method doesn't work?

MembersZone Subscriber

We always blow out the hydrant before hooking up. Never know what the kiddies have hidden in there.

Forum Member

We had an SB on a 3" line clog due to a piece of the fiberglass from the tank coming off and going down the line.
    The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GFDLT1 View Post
    You mean to tell me that the teachers were right? The pull out method doesn't work?

You can ask my son...

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Or my brother and his wife.
    Last edited by GFDLT1; 04-19-2007 at 04:31 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

It's been a few years but we had an incident where an Engine dropped from a hydrant that not used very often in our system. The 1.75" attack line became ineffective because small stones had passed through the pump and into the line clogging the nozzle making the stream ineffective. The line was shut down the nozzle replaced and the new one functioned properly. The nozzle was an Akron adjustable gallon fog nozzle. At the time we collected the stones from the nozzle and the stones that were left in the pump. The stones in the nozzle were wedged into the opening at the nozzle outlet and the nozzle needed to be disassembled to remove them all. The pump was checked and found to be fine. The nozzle as reassembled and placed back into service. The incident involved a mobile home struck by lightning. The fire was well advanced upon our dispatch.
    The hydrant had been relocated, changed out and obviously the water company crew did not flow the system to clear it.
    ex Chief 500

Forum Member

Well...just for fun (not fire fighting related). My brother used to work in a State Fish Hatchery and they used to use fire hose and pumps to clean the fish pens. He had a turtle stuck in the line once. He was using a 2.5 line. Yes the turtle was DOA...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FD8434 View Post
    Had a quarter clog a nozzle. We would have water then lose water, have it, lose it. We went from having great pressure to having none at all a few times in succession. This occurred because the quarter kept spinning inside the nozzle. Always check your nozzles before every tour. We think the quarter was from the hydrant though, but still, you never know!!
    How is it that a quarter would get all the way from the hydrant to the nozzle? Are there no screens on your truck to prevent crap from entering your rather expensive apparatus?

Quote Originally Posted by wag11c View Post
    I had a clogged nozzle one time, turned out to be a urinary track infection.
    LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by CAPPYY View Post
    We always blow out the hydrant before hooking up. Never know what the kiddies have hidden in there.
    Actually in our SOG's to do precisely this.

Thread Information