Default auxiliaries only for wives?

I asked the auxiliary at the firehouse next door to me about joining. They told me it's only for the firefighters' wives. Is that unusual? Looks to me from this forum that other community members are often allowed to join?

LA

DVFD

Smile Wife and Dauters only

We tried to open the Ladies Aux. to the public. We found that many were just hanging around to get close to the single FF's and also a few went after a married FF. That was the straw that broke the camels back. The FF's said they were unconfertable with women that were not wifes and or dauters.We are a tight Dept. Our FF needs come frist. The Ladies Aux. Falls under the direct supt. of the Chief and Chief Officers as directors. That way there would never be a power strugle amongs the laidies. As on the fire line Chief has the final word. Unless it is a safety concern.

K Dugas
    Duson Vol.Fire Dept.
    FF1 Haz Mat OP's

Forum Member

LynnAnne,
    Around here, the firefighters' wives are sometimes also firefighters. The Auxiliary is made up of mostly older ladies and gentlemen in the community (but not always). Most anyone wanting to help is put to use in some way.

As a last resort, have your husband join the fire department (that is, if you have one)
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Thread Information