Thread: New Pierce Cabs

Forum Member

Default New Pierce Cabs

Does anyone know the lengths available on the new Velocity? The Pierce info states 60" & 70", but I heard they are going to make longer ones. If it is only 70" max, then they are smaller than the dash, lance, and enforcer. We are looking for an 8-10 man cab with room. A Spartan XLFD or similar.

Forum Member

Word is they're coming out with a split tilt version of the Velocity sometime this year, to better replace the Lance. Check with your dealer for more info, I haven't heard anything else about it.

Forum Member

You can get an 8 man cab Scania or a 10 man cab Dennis Sabre.....

But yes, you would think something with a larger cab size would come out, a lot of volly departments would be spitting chips if they didn't.

Meanwhile we will try and squeeze 6 guys in bunker gear into an Isuzu !!

Forum Member

Default Size matters

What about a ferrara cab, any input?? We are a vol dept that still gets 7-10 men on 1st out and also fills out the rest of the station. Looking for a cab with room to spare.

Forum Member

Content deleted by author.
    Last edited by Firefighter807; 07-08-2009 at 07:25 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Is every one of those built there or are there any that are truely single source cab, chassis, and body builders?

Forum Member

I was at the Pierce plant two weeks ago for a post paint inspection. They do build their own cabs. They are built at their new plant that does alot of the fabrication and rescue.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
    Is every one of those built there or are there any that are truely single source cab, chassis, and body builders?
    American LaFrance builds their own.

Forum Member

So with Ferrara aerials on a Spartan Chassis,
    Marion builds the cab shell, it goes to Spartan to be mounted on the rolling chassis to be sent to Smeal to mount the aerial to be sent to Ferrara to finish it off. That's exhausting. No wonder it takes a year to build a truck.

Ferrara Inferno & Igniter cabs and chassis are solely built at the Ferrara Manufacturing Facility in Holden Louisiana. The only cabs built elsewhere are the HME"S, Spartans and the commercial chassis used by Ferrara

Forum Member

Pierce and KME both build their cabs from scratch. They start with two frame rails and end with a finished product.

I was impressed that one manufacturer even fabricates their own radiators.

Some people don't understand the emphasis on single source. However, if you've ever been in the middle of a finger-pointing agrument between apparatus manufacturer and chassis supplier, you can appreciate eliminating that headache from your life.

Forum Member

I think it depends on your definition of "Single Source".

None of them build every component that is put on the truck. It would not make sense for them to build motors, tranny's, springs, air brake systems etc etc... "Chassis". No matter what they put parts that they bought from some company together to build the truck. To my knowledge none of the companies have steel mills to make their own raw materials....They buy assemblies and put them together to make it a piece of fire apparatus... How they stand behind the assemblies they put together is the real story.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    Pierce and KME both build their cabs from scratch. They start with two frame rails and end with a finished product.

Some people don't understand the emphasis on single source. However, if you've ever been in the middle of a finger-pointing agrument between apparatus manufacturer and chassis supplier, you can appreciate eliminating that headache from your life.
    But what happens if you need one of the one off radiators when the truck is 12-15 years old? I would much rather have a common radiator that is used in 250,000 over the road trucks vs. 250 (ever built) fire trucks.

You are going to have a finger pointing situation with that too! I still maintain it is the support after the sale that will make or break you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    Try getting a radiator for that same truck (which could be your community's only truck) after hours or on a holiday weekend.....When all you have to do is contact the local truck parts warehouse and get something our of stock.....or go down to the local Trucking Company's Maintenance Shop, and borrow something out of their stock.........
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FD1976 View Post
    What about a ferrara cab, any input?? We are a vol dept that still gets 7-10 men on 1st out and also fills out the rest of the station. Looking for a cab with room to spare.
    The Seagrave Maurader II has a 10 man cab !We have one and it comes with a split tilt cab,the photo below is from our engine 4-1 !..
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 05-08-2007 at 07:00 PM.

Forum Member

Content deleted by author.
    Last edited by Firefighter807; 07-08-2009 at 07:24 PM.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by FD1976 View Post
    you can only go and see one, sit in it, see if it fits your need but i dont think you will like the ergonomics in a ferrara cab - they feel all wrong to me. and then they have that "smart wheel"........... what a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter807 View Post
    That's funny. When I visited the TCM plant last month, there were Ferrara cabs sitting around in various stages of production.
    now dont go around telling the truth! you would be suprised at the lengths some will go to, to claim "single source".

Forum Member

I've toured the E-One plant a couple of times, and each time I've been there they have cabs in the various stages of production. So I'm pretty sure they make their own cabs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ecfr1978 View Post
    I've toured the E-One plant a couple of times, and each time I've been there they have cabs in the various stages of production. So I'm pretty sure they make their own cabs.
    No thank you. I think they are close to the beginning of the end!

Thread Information