Forum Member

Question Team Building Activities

Does anyone have any suggestions for team building activities for departments?

We are looking for something that can be conducted in the firehouse and something other than paintball

Thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ff4405 View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions for team building activities for departments?

We are looking for something that can be conducted in the firehouse and something other than paintball

Thanks!
    Are you asking about how to make yourr firefighters to work as a team better?

MembersZone Subscriber

This team building crap is a 90's corporate buzz word that was a waste then and a waste now.

You want to have your guys operate more efficiently? Invest in proper, professional training. Then have policies and procedures in place that says you will operate the way you train. Then place competent, professional and dedicated people in charge. The people you have in charge should have the confidence of the members as well as a dedication to the advancement of the department. Then, make sure that the training program continues to evolve with challenging and timely topics. Then, give them the tools and equipment to be able to operate safely and efficiently. Then, make rules that are consistent with your policies and procedures and refuse to compromise in the enforcement of the rules.

After that is taken care of, social activities can be scheduled to get the guys to hang out together and bond. But I think what you will find is that, if you do the above, the pride and confidence you will instill will cause this "team" to build naturally.

Forum Member

What he ^ said...
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI View Post
    This team building crap is a 90's corporate buzz word that was a waste then and a waste now.

You want to have your guys operate more efficiently? Invest in proper, professional training. Then have policies and procedures in place that says you will operate the way you train. Then place competent, professional and dedicated people in charge. The people you have in charge should have the confidence of the members as well as a dedication to the advancement of the department. Then, make sure that the training program continues to evolve with challenging and timely topics. Then, give them the tools and equipment to be able to operate safely and efficiently. Then, make rules that are consistent with your policies and procedures and refuse to compromise in the enforcement of the rules.

After that is taken care of, social activities can be scheduled to get the guys to hang out together and bond. But I think what you will find is that, if you do the above, the pride and confidence you will instill will cause this "team" to build naturally.
    I'm going too agree with these two. This is probably the most efficient way too get yourselves working as a team.

All those things like paintball and crap work only so far. We used too do stuff like that for hockey camps and guess what, 99% of the time it didn't change the way we played hockey as a team. It all came when we practiced,worked and played hockey as a group. Thats when the real team building was done
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down What They Said

My department recently spent $5,000 on a team building speaker. he came to our department 8 times and talked about what it was to be part of a team and how we should always treat others as we would like to be treated and while at the meeting everyone was so happy and buddy buddy. but after the call due to lack of good leadership and sops, and accountability nothing changed. So save your money and get some compitent leaders and a good set of sops and make your members acountable for there actions and you will do just fine.

Forum Member

What George Said!!! In reality, we can sit around and try to come up with ways to get the people in the department to better like each other and to have more respect and appreciation for one another. However, in the real world that I have been associated with for too many years, it just doesn't work well.

Why? In this business, you have to earn respect, and gain trust and appreciation by your actions. Not because we think it would be nice if we all were real nice to each other and patted each other on the back. It just is not that simple in this business. Not when you have varied personalities that you have to deal with.

To make things work, you have to have the SOG's, policies and procedures in place. You need an aggressive training program that will encompass what the mission is of the department now and in the future, and you need to do the small things that matter. Once you do these things and your calls are handled proffesionally and with great outcomes, the people will start to believe in themselves and what they are capable of, and that of what the others are capable of, and what the department is capable of.

When your department becomes really good at what it does, it all falls into place a lot easier. The recreational side or the social side will be that much easier to deal with because no one will want to be left behind.

Look at any team sport, if the team is successful, the players are for the most part happy, and they show that spirit and pride in their team as do the fans and family members.

Be good-Be very good and all the other infighting and crap has a funny way of handling itself.

But you have to be firm in the stance to follow through with the policies and procedures as well as a defined training program.

STILL STANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by avfd3099 View Post
    My department recently spent $5,000 on a team building speaker. he came to our department 8 times and talked about what it was to be part of a team and how we should always treat others as we would like to be treated and while at the meeting everyone was so happy and buddy buddy. but after the call due to lack of good leadership and sops, and accountability nothing changed. So save your money and get some compitent leaders and a good set of sops and make your members acountable for there actions and you will do just fine.
    So instead of buying an SCBA, two sets of turnout gear, half of a TIC or some other piece of equipment, your FD spent $5000 to bring one guy into talk about what most of us learned from our moms? Dude, I hope some of you screamed at your Chif ovr this one. This was a gross waste of money (but you already know that).

Forum Member

1. $5000 is my whole budget.

2. After spending many years in coprorate america I have been to at least 50 team building exercises and they don't work.

DVFD

Smile Why not train as a team??

FF4405,

I think what you should look in to is setting up a team competition similar to a FF challenge. This would hone your skills used on the fire ground and bring a since of team cohesiveness. You donít have to do all of the single competive events. Try having normal staffing (for us first arriving may be 2-4 on an engine) Pull up to the plug and drop 100- 200' of fill line and flow water from a 1 3/4 preconnect. Set up to ladder a building. Set up a portable tank. You donít need to fill it just hook up all the proper hoses.
    All of these evolutions require at least 2 FF. You can pick teams or rotate in a round robin format so all members must train together.

The trick to it is to get a senior or well-versed member paired with one that is weak or challenged in that evolution. That way the Strong can teach, and the challenged can overcome his or her weakness.

I recommend teams because all good FFís and Officers know you should be paired up (at the very least) in a hazardous environment. Single events may make members uneasy as you are putting them on the spot. I would recommend video taping the evolutions to discuss at a later date. These tapes may are may not be shown to the members. We (the officers) use them to see where more training is needed. I tend not to have the event timed because then most members get sloppy. Smooth is fast and fast is smooth. I much rather have catching a plug take an extra 30 seconds, than have a member trip, fall or forget the wrench just because he or she was rushing to beat a clock or another teamís time. This will only lead to unfriendly rivalry in the ranks of the Dept.

P.S. You might even get a few good bloopers to run at the Christmas party.

K Dugas
    Duson Vol.Fire Dept.
    FF1 Haz Mat OP's

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kldugas412 View Post
    FF4405,

I think what you should look in to is setting up a team competition similar to a FF challenge. This would hone your skills used on the fire ground and bring a since of team cohesiveness. You donít have to do all of the single competive events. Try having normal staffing (for us first arriving may be 2-4 on an engine) Pull up to the plug and drop 100- 200' of fill line and flow water from a 1 3/4 preconnect. Set up to ladder a building. Set up a portable tank. You donít need to fill it just hook up all the proper hoses.
    All of these evolutions require at least 2 FF. You can pick teams or rotate in a round robin format so all members must train together.

The trick to it is to get a senior or well-versed member paired with one that is weak or challenged in that evolution. That way the Strong can teach, and the challenged can overcome his or her weakness.

I recommend teams because all good FFís and Officers know you should be paired up (at the very least) in a hazardous environment. Single events may make members uneasy as you are putting them on the spot. I would recommend video taping the evolutions to discuss at a later date. These tapes may are may not be shown to the members. We (the officers) use them to see where more training is needed. I tend not to have the event timed because then most members get sloppy. Smooth is fast and fast is smooth. I much rather have catching a plug take an extra 30 seconds, than have a member trip, fall or forget the wrench just because he or she was rushing to beat a clock or another teamís time. This will only lead to unfriendly rivalry in the ranks of the Dept.

Sounds like team building to me and doesn't cost that much!

MembersZone Subscriber

As George pointed out, what is wrong with drilling? Should be doing it anyway
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=GeorgeWendtCFI;795117]This team building crap is a 90's corporate buzz word that was a waste then and a waste now.

You want to have your guys operate more efficiently? Invest in proper, professional training.

Right on George, also you can "invest" time and effort just like you can money. The investment is a little harder but the returns are usually great.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by kldugas412 View Post
    FF4405,

I guess "team building" was the wrong word to use, seeing as I set everyone off. We drill on a regular basis, and this sounds like an excellant way to bring the senior guys together more closely with some of the younger guys. What you have described is along the lines of what we are looking to do. Thanks

Forum Member

Have the older members mentor the younger members on the department, traditions, and the area of service. Who better than they that knows the area, mutual-aid departments, and such.

By doing so, the odler members who are still vital, do feel so, and the younger members get a lot of knowledge first hand.

STILL STANDING!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information