Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    firefighter

Default question about applying for jobs out of my state

has anyone had experience with this? i see how many southern and western states require less experience and certs. than the states up here in new england. but i don't want to be flying around the country takeing their tests. any ideas of how to go about applying and haveing a chance without liveing there? any help would be appreciated.

Forum Member

I have worked with, talked to, and helped many people who have done just what you are talking about. Departments, especially larger ones donít really mind where you are from, they just want to hire the best people for the job.

A lot of departments will make allowances for people testing from out of town. I have heard of them scheduling physical agilityís and oral interviews the same day or in the same week for people.

The only thing holding you back is applying. You would need to set a time to go and research the department, visit stations, Etc. if it is possible. But I know of quite a few people who have relocated thousands of miles to start their dream job.

Good Luck, Capt Rob
    www.myfireinterview.com
    (707) 869-1330
    nrtc@sonic.net

MembersZone Subscriber

Departments are very wise to highly qualified ďout of townersĒ coming in and taking jobs from local residents. Most departments have been burned by someone who was not from the area, took a job, went through the academy and left at the first chance they got.

Can it be done? Absolutely, but you must give compelling reasons as to why you want to relocate.

No fire department wants to becomes a training ground for a larger, or more desirable department. Itís up to you to convince the department that you plan on staying.

If your plan is to get hired on a department that is out of the area complete training and then test back in your home state I will tell you that it is much more difficult than you would expect. You will incur the cost of a flight (or cost of gas) for each portion of the testing process. While itís expensive, the real challenge is getting the time off of work, especially as a new guy.

Lastly, I encourage you to pick where YOU want to work rather than where itís easy to get a job. Set a plan in place to meet the requirements and get hired where you want to make a career.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Along the same lines is it too general to say that you will work anywhere in the south, east of the mississippi river. I have about 6 to 8 test coming up this summer because I know that I want to move south and could care less where I get a job, I just want one.

MembersZone Subscriber

That pretty much sums it up, some larger depts do give out of state people a different process than in-state people. Take baltimore, they give you 4 day process of testing and such for out of state people. I live in jersey and tested in jersey, but unless you have residency or are well connected you have a better chance of getting a job out of state. Just be on the look for large progressive depts that have openings and and contact them, see if they can work out a schedule for you to test. I tried it with Long Beach Fire, but they wouldn't budge, I still flew out there ($325 RT+other expenses) took the test, since its one of my dream depts. For the new england area, check out MD and VA depts. They are always hiring. Tips are to get your EMT and move up to Medic if you want a better chance of hiring(doing my didactic portion now).

Thread Information