Forum Member

Default Cummins ISX Engines

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that is using the Cummins ISX 500+ bhp in its apparatus??

Mostly what I see in large apparatus is the Detroit Series 60 and the Caterpillar C-13.

According to the specs from the companies sites, the torque power curve looks better on the Cummins. And some of my fleet mechanics are Cummins-trained.

Thanks for you help.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    Does anyone know of a manufacturer that is using the Cummins ISX 500+ bhp in its apparatus??

Mostly what I see in large apparatus is the Detroit Series 60 and the Caterpillar C-13.

According to the specs from the companies sites, the torque power curve looks better on the Cummins. And some of my fleet mechanics are Cummins-trained.

Thanks for you help.
    The ISX is the Cummins counterpart to the Cat C-15. It's sort of the successor to the venerable old N-block engines, which Cummins couldn't clean up enough to meet today's standards. It's a BIG engine, it's top rating being over 600 HP and 2050 lbs./ft. of torque as is the C-15. It's intended use is is dragging 80,000 lbs.+ over the mountains at highway speed.

I'd have to question whether most of today's fire chassis could accomodate the physical size or the cooling system requirements of either one.

The Cummins ISM is more analgous to the C-13 Cat.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

Forum Member

Default 2007 Emissions

I suppose I am entitled to hijack my own discussion thread.

I keep hearing how differently engine manufactures are meeting the requirements for engine emissions.

I want to know who is doing it with the least amount of working parts and maintenance requirements. The engines are as previously listed are:

Cummins ISX 525hp
    Detroit Series 60 515hp
    Cat C-13 525hp

I am reading things about fuel coolers and twin turbos.

In my mind, the manufacturer that can achieve the 2007 requirements with less extra stuff to breakdown will produce a simpler and more reliable engine over the long term.

Forum Member

A little quick checking shows what I suspected - the higher end torque versions of the ISX and C-15 both exceed what Allison 4000 EVS transmission, or for that matter, the Cat CX-31 transmission will handle.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

Forum Member

Yes and no.In the upper range Cummins,they put in "soft pedal"software so they don't tear the input shafts out of the Allisons.The ISX is a big engine,one to satisfy even the most power hungry application.It's physical size(and price) is what keeps it out of fire truck chassis apps.It or the DD are the simplest when it comes to emissions.I'm real happy with the ISM,an ISX would be a real treat to drive. T.C.

Thread Information