Thread: Call Volume

Forum Member

Default Call Volume

Hello, I have a question about call volumes. Our company averages about 200calls per year. We are a rural company. About half of our calls are medical assist calls within our primary response area. We do not provide ambulance service, but do provide a QRS ( quick response service) to all medical calls in our area. ( we have an ambualnce sub station in our 1st due response area)I listed these calls as Ems-Bls response calls (medical assists). Do I need to include these calls as a mutual aid received or mutual aid provided?(since we are assisting the ambulance either before or after they arrive on scene) And on the application it gives this question: Please indicate the number of times your department provides or receives mutual aid. Do not include first-due responses claimed above. So what do I put down for this question seeing that these calls are in our 1st due area. I hope this wasn't confusing..

Thanks for any help!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

If it is in your first due area and you are first due for first response then they are your calls.

Forum Member

This is what I did. I listed those calls as our primary ems calls since they were in our 1st due area. However, I did not list them below in these fields ( In a particular year, how many times does your organization receive mutual/automatic aid?- In a particular year, how many times does your organization provide mutual/automatic aid? ) It also says "Please indicate the number of times your department provides or receives mutual aid. Do not include first-due responses claimed above" So I left these calls out from these 2 questions. Was this correct what I did?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default EMS Calls/Mutual Aid

In Illinois, if you are a fire dept. running non transport EMS it is not considered mutual aid received or given if the other responding agency is an ambulance service. The only time it counts as mutual aid is if the other agency is a fire dept. and has an FDID number. This came straight from the state fire marshal's office.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

What pmed said is what they want. If it is in your area served with fire services it is not mutual aid to assist EMS if you don't run transport.

Also, if you have Auto M/A coming on all structure fires they count in both your call and Mutual Aid recieved. Mutual aid assists outside of your district only count in the M/A Given category.

Forum Member

Default 1st due response area

If there is a reciprocating agreement with neighboring towns that automatic mutual aid is started on all structure fires, but brush fires, vehicle fires, fire alarms etc, go back to being single company responses, does this arrangement count as your "1 due response area". Because of the size of the towns, each of these FD's only cover the area closest to their station, in other words it isn't automatic mutual aid for the entire neighboring town and one town may have 3 or 4 different FD's involved depending on where the structure fire is in their town. If this does count towards 1st due response area, would we just have to "guestimate" the population served and the square miles served in these neighboring towns?

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Correct on the 1st due definition, and guessing the population & square miles.

Forum Member

Well then who gets the credit for the call and who counts it as the mutual aid call? If all the departments responding are counting this as their first due, this area is being counted two, three, or even four times.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

There is only 1 1st due, the other 3 are mutual aid. So when it's a fire in your 1st due it's your fire, plus you add 1 to mutual aid recieved. They report it only as mutual aid given.

MembersZone Subscriber

My understanding is that the first-due calls are a department's own primary protection area, and anything else is mutual aid--not mattering whether it is an automatic page or not. Further--it really does not matter which department actually gets there first--correct??

My dept's primary response area is 23.1 square miles, and we have automatic aid agreements with 2 other depts, and provide mutual to 4 or 5 additional depts in any given year. So....only the calls with the 23.1 square miles count in the call break-down. Everything else we run is the mutual aid given regardless of whether it is automatic aid or mutual aid.

Now, if one of our neighboring depts covers about 24 square miles of their own township AND has a written agreement to cover about 12 square miles in a township adjacent to them as the primary response department. They can count calls in the full 36 square mile area because they are the primary response organization. Anything outside the 36 sq mile is mutual/auto aid given. Am i getting it??

earl (no clever thoughts here. check back later)

MembersZone Subscriber

From the help desk:

First due responses would include all of those responses that you would be called or sent to first before any other units from another jurisdiction or department.

So if you have an automatic aid agreement with the department next to you, you can not count any part of their territory as your first due even if you would arrive first.

Forum Member

Thanks for making that clear. My thinking is exactly what you are saying. When I was reading through what SVFD16 wrote

"If there is a reciprocating agreement with neighboring towns that automatic mutual aid is started on all structure fires," "does this arrangement count as your "1 due response area"

It had me thinking that some of these calls would be double counted. Thanks again. Good luck to all.

Kelly

Forum Member

Thanks to all who responded to my questions!!

Thread Information