MembersZone Subscriber

Default 2008 Ford Super Duty

Any tought on the new 2008 F350,450,550 SuperDuty Chassis???

Below is a pic of a new Mass DCR Unit on the chassis

http://firenews.org/mass/MassDCR2-2.jpg

Forum Member

the headlight / turn signal is upside down. Hope the 2008 is better than the previous years. Lets hope the new 6.4 L diesel is more reliable then the 6.0 L is. The 6.4 L almost died due to a squabble between Ford and Navistar.

There is an issue now with it shooting flames out the exhaust pipe. although cool to see that, it's wasn't designed that way.

Read on a website that's it's easier for a technician to remove the cab from the chassis to work on the engine.

My next truck will be a Chevrolet.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ctxffman View Post
    My next truck will be a Chevrolet.

Buy a Ford and store it in the garage. That way, when the company goes out of business 10 years from now, you will have a collectors item. Sorta like an Edsel.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ctxffman View Post
    the headlight / turn signal is upside down. Hope the 2008 is better than the previous years. Lets hope the new 6.4 L diesel is more reliable then the 6.0 L is. The 6.4 L almost died due to a squabble between Ford and Navistar.

There is an issue now with it shooting flames out the exhaust pipe. although cool to see that, it's wasn't designed that way.
    Why did Ford and Navistar have a squabble? Was it related to the flames?
    Last edited by svmech17; 04-10-2007 at 03:36 PM.

Forum Member

Navistar and Ford are squabling (?) over warranty work from previous model years. I understand that Ford had what they felt be be excessive warranty claims on the last deisel engine series they got from Navistar. Also that Navistar has been slow, or unwilling to pay there portion of these cliams.

There was an article in USAToday several weeks ago about this if anyone is up to doing a search.

I also herad thru the grapevine (Meaning a rumor ) that the engines Ford does have from Navistar have been desinated for ambulance chassis production, and won't be available to the buying public. Ford had refused to take any more engines from Navistar, and is possibly looking for another supplier.

Forum Member

MembersZone Subscriber

WOW - check out the size of the flame

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v36MCcRPRTc

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm sure it's as sound and stout as the last generation, but for the record, I HATE the look of the new front end.

Those lights are hideous. Especially compared to the 05/06, which was quite sharp IMO.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by PumpGuy View Post
    Navistar and Ford are squabling (?) over warranty work from previous model years. I understand that Ford had what they felt be be excessive warranty claims on the last deisel engine series they got from Navistar. Also that Navistar has been slow, or unwilling to pay there portion of these cliams.

There was an article in USAToday several weeks ago about this if anyone is up to doing a search.

I also herad thru the grapevine (Meaning a rumor ) that the engines Ford does have from Navistar have been desinated for ambulance chassis production, and won't be available to the buying public. Ford had refused to take any more engines from Navistar, and is possibly looking for another supplier.

Word from the IH guy at our dealer meeting was this - the 6.0L presented more warranty problems than Ford wanted, so they expected IH to cough up some money. Trouble is, Ford modified the base IH engine to their needs, with the express notification from IH that they would not be providing an engine warranty if they did so.

IH is also more than happy to continue 6.0L production for the E-series chassis, but with the vastly reduced production numbers and the current contract for pricing of the engines expiring, IH wanted more per engine due to reduced production as the 6.4L was taking much of the market. Ford refused to pay the higher engine price, hence no more 6.0L for the E-series market.

I think the 6.4L is in the same situation as the 6.0L, where Ford is modifiying the IH engine with their own turbos and such.

The sad reality with the new Ford is the packaging of the engine under the hood is so incredibly tight, you will never put anything aftermarket as far as underhood generators, etc. in there, at least for a reasonable cost if at all. I can only imagine what the labor costs to departments will be for major service work after the warranty runs out. I would be looking very hard at the GM product for my fire apparatus in the same weight class, or IH's MXT rig if the pricing for a "working" version is reasonable.
    Last edited by npfd801; 04-10-2007 at 02:50 PM.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

what is wrong with ford modifing an IH engine with their own turbos and such, look at the 7.3l diesel, i would say that that is the best diesel engine ever put in a pick-up to date, bar none. Ford put that engine in the f-series pickups for 17 years, i own a 2002 1 ton dually with a 7.3 and it is a heck of a truck. if you want to talk about a bad track record w/ diesels, lets talk GM. The modified 350 diesel, the 6.2l, and the 6.5, which was the only halfway decent engine. The duramax would be their crowning achievement, if it wasn't built by isuzu. Cummins makes a heck of an engine, but it is put in a truck that requires a new front end every 40,000 miles under towing conditions. besides, come the 2010 year they are redoing the super duty, so it will accomidate the 7.2l cat! that will be my next truck.

MembersZone Subscriber

There is nothing wrong with Ford making the 6.0L fit their power requirements. What is wrong is having mutually agreed that IH will not be held liable for warranty issues due to Ford modifications, and then Ford expecting IH to keep sending them engines when Ford decides to quit paying for them...

We have three Ford's with Powerstrokes, regardless of the problems that the 6.0L had, ours with the 6.0L is by far the best of the three, lots of power, great drivability, etc. The two 7.3L units are fine as well, but not as good as the 6.0L.

With the new motor, we couldn't configure the chassis the way like - with underhood generator... It just won't happen on the new ones.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    I'm sure it's as sound and stout as the last generation, but for the record, I HATE the look of the new front end.

Those lights are hideous. Especially compared to the 05/06, which was quite sharp IMO.
    The lights may be funky on the 08 Fords but the new Chevy's are even uglier. I dont think the ford is that bad but with dodge now making 4500 and 5500 series they have caught my attention.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801 View Post
    We have three Ford's with Powerstrokes, regardless of the problems that the 6.0L had, ours with the 6.0L is by far the best of the three, lots of power, great drivability, etc. The two 7.3L units are fine as well, but not as good as the 6.0L.
    I agree with you, out of our 5 powerstrokes the 6.0's are by far my favorite to work in. What are the issue's that Ford is having with them? WE have yet to experience and engine based issues with ours and one of the is going on 3 years old now.

Forum Member

IMO Ford just needs to go to Cat and tell them to build an I-6 for them. My old FD just took delivery of their 08 F450 medical/rescue truck and it is not only hideous but the engine sounds like crap compared to the previous ones. I will stick with my Pre-08 models of ford super duties. For a new grass / medical / light rescue truck, i will go with a dodge before all the rest. just my 2 cents.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by UFDFF15 View Post
    I agree with you, out of our 5 powerstrokes the 6.0's are by far my favorite to work in. What are the issue's that Ford is having with them? WE have yet to experience and engine based issues with ours and one of the is going on 3 years old now.
    We have a 2 year old 6.0 with 103,000 miles. Besides 2 cracked heads, a blown turbo or 2, high pressure oil lines that run the fuel system blowing apart, not wanting to start and numerous sensor going bad it has been a good truck. This engine has cost us more to repair than most of our 7.3's combined.
    IACOJ - Senior Jake

Forum Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by fordfreak1978 View Post
    what is wrong with ford modifing an IH engine with their own turbos and such, look at the 7.3l diesel, i would say that that is the best diesel engine ever put in a pick-up to date, bar none. Ford put that engine in the f-series pickups for 17 years, i own a 2002 1 ton dually with a 7.3 and it is a heck of a truck. if you want to talk about a bad track record w/ diesels, lets talk GM. The modified 350 diesel, the 6.2l, and the 6.5, which was the only halfway decent engine. The duramax would be their crowning achievement, if it wasn't built by isuzu. Cummins makes a heck of an engine, but it is put in a truck that requires a new front end every 40,000 miles under towing conditions. besides, come the 2010 year they are redoing the super duty, so it will accomidate the 7.2l cat! that will be my next truck.
    We have a 2002 Dodge at work with only 25,000 miles on it and it is on the 3rd front end, 1- fuel pump , auto trans work etc. The only good part of the truck is the Cummins diesel motor, we also have a new 2007 F250 4x4 pickup truck with 1,000 miles on the " 6.0 diesel " which is very loud but very powerfull !..

MembersZone Subscriber

sounds like lemons, every manufacturer will have them. Then again lemons can still ruin reputations. For instance my department will not consider Ford vehicles at all. Especially since our Jeep and GM vehicles have been great. It doesent bother me much since i owned a ford "lemon" explorer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by svmech17 View Post
    sounds like lemons, every manufacturer will have them. Then again lemons can still ruin reputations. For instance my department will not consider Ford vehicles at all. Especially since our Jeep and GM vehicles have been great. It doesent bother me much since i owned a ford "lemon" explorer.
    We don't like the lemon taste. My EMS system has purchased all Ford's except one for the last 25 years or so. Our next will be a Chevy.
    IACOJ - Senior Jake

Forum Member

When we replace ambulances, we rechassis a box once before buying a new one. We had two scheduled for rechassis this summer, and have been informed that the manufacturer cannot get us an E-Series chassis due to the engine change. We could get a gas engine, but that would be inefficient. Ford does not have any timeline for when or if a Diesel E-Series may be available.

We dug deeper and talked to our local Ford dealer. They confirmed the E-Series problem, and said that they have been notified by corporate not to sell any Super Duty F-Series trucks until the exhaust problems have been fixed.

Me thinks a great deal of fire trucks and ambulances will be built on GM chassis in the future...
    Jack of all trades, master of none.

Live Green, Go Yellow!

Join the forums at www.ambulass.com!

MembersZone Subscriber

Medicmaster you are correct. The EMS service I work for is going to Chevy(GMC) with all of our new purchases because of the Ford situation. We had all but maybe 6 or 7 of our 30+ ambulances switched over to Ford from Chevy because of local warranty work. Now we are switching back and is causing a lot of headaches. We were trying to get a standardized fleet but now it will be a hodge-podge again for a few years.
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Well hold on im not sure i agree. They're not necessarily putting there own turbos on it is how they are rearranging everything to fit in or on there chassis. second, ford did not use the 7.3 for 17 years. they have been using international/navistar enignes for about that long: the naturally aspirated 6.9 mechanical from 1989-1992, the naturally aspirated 7.3 mechanical from 1993-1995, the turbo-charged 7.3 mechanical 1996, the first actual powerstroke 7.3 1997-1999, the next gen 7.3 powerstroke 1999-2002, and the 6.0 powerstroke 2003-2006 unless they work things out with navistar to continue using it for the E-series. All completely different engines.

Now i am/was a ford fan but after seeing the 6.4 i am having second thoughts. However the new dodge hd chassis everyone is talking about is somewhat impressive but there is not enough info out yet to make a decision. Its being marketed under the sterling badge but it looks like a dodge cab. Which is very likely with sterling being owned by freightliner who we all know is owned by daimler chrysler (kinda like jeep grand cherokee door handles on the Lafrance eagle chassis). Im just wondering if its just a supped up dodge chassis with a different grill.

Heres a link-http://www.sterlingtrucks.com/SterlingBullet/Features.html

Forum Member

Well, I have to say, the Dodge/Sterling chassis is a lot better looking than the Ford or Chevy chassis.

In fact the Ford is downright butt ugly. And from what I see in the redesign of the E-Series vans, I hope they don't get the diesel situation figured out...I'd hate to have a rig on that ugly @ss thing!
    Jack of all trades, master of none.

Live Green, Go Yellow!

Join the forums at www.ambulass.com!

MembersZone Subscriber

actually, I thing the duramax was a joint engineering effort with Isuzu (who is the largest mfg of diesels in the world) but the duramax is made at the morraine engine plant http://www.saedayton.org/meetings/dmax-02/announce.htm

Yes, the 6.9/7.3 navistar diesel was a wonderfull engine. The 6.0's apparrently have a lot more durability issues. Part of it is, at least in fire/ems, trying to get the same power from 1.3 less liters in a heavy for chassis size application.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just talked to the IH guy here at FDIC and he was pretty plain in saying that since Ford "tuned" their engines to 300 horse and ran them to a higher rpm, IH wasn't willing to warranty them. I think that's the deal with the 6.0 liter. They may not have been Ford's own turbos, etc. - but the point is when your engine supplier doesn't want you to squeeze 300 horse out the motor they're building, perhaps you should listen.

The Sterling/Dodge looks interesting. If they could offer the larger four-door with real rear seat room, then I'd take serious notice.

The other options for those of us that want a chassis in the same weight class, with real back seat room is the GM 5500 series and IH now has a lighter duty series (with a four door available) based on their ambulance chassis. Price point is supposed to be comparable to an F-550. You don't get as much horsepower, but you get a lot of torque, a real transmission, and lots of big truck options you don't get on the Fords.

I need to visit with the Freightliner folks some more at the show tomorrow, I'll see what they have in the same weight class and price range as the F-550 series.

Forum Member

If Izuzu and Cummins can build 300+ hp diesels then Why cant IH? I have heard the more recent editions of the 6.0 were bulit-proof,and Ford went out of their way to make sure the new 6.4 was the same. They dident want to repete the problems they had with the introduction of the 6.0l.

The GM 5500 seem nice, but awfully big for a "minipumper" or a grass truck. They are almost full size trucks.

Thread Information